Politics Stem Cell Research

UncoveringAlias said:
Ya we went to a presentation on Genetics, and the guy told us about how liposuction (America's favorite pasttime!!) and the fat can be used to get stem cells. And they throw away soooo much of it a year, and they could be curing diseases with that ;)

I'm pro adult stem cells, but not so sure about embryonic stem cells. The guy also said embryonic cells, when implanted in humans, can cause cancer. Can anyone verify this?
[post="1138380"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
:blink: embryonic stem cells causes cancer? :blink: never heard that one before.... I would say no because I don't think there's any logical scientific evidence for that. :blink: at least not from what i've heard. ... :thinking:
--mandy :angelic:

pro-stem cell research
it's just the whole religious stance that dealing with god's creations is wrong. but we could actually help more people by curing the many cancers and diseases. it only matters to some people when it hits close to home example? ronald reagan's son. the son of the grand-daddy of all republicans is now on more democratic terms when his father had alziemers (sorry bout spelling)--stem cell research could of helped his dad and the many others with the disease. no surprise that he's one of the biggest advocates of it now. also kindof sad at the backlash he got when he spoke at the democratic convention this past summer from the republican side...
didn't mean to make this too political--sorry!

Well, (I believe) that religion shouldn't get in the way of science. This might be because I'm not Christian, but still. I wouldn't want my religion to get in the way of science either.

Existentialist said:
Nothing I read said that embryonic stem cells can cause cancer. In fact, embryonic stem cells can CURE cancer.

Maybe he meant that embryonic stem cells from non-humans can cause cancer if implanted into humans. There is the idea of transplanting non-human stem cells into humans, but there are obviously many more risks involved.
[post="1138620"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

mystery_chick said:
:blink: embryonic stem cells causes cancer? :blink: never heard that one before.... I would say no because I don't think there's any logical scientific evidence for that. :blink: at least not from what i've heard. ... :thinking:
--mandy :angelic:
[post="1139341"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I'm like 95% he said that, although he may be wrong. I thought he said something like "but many people do not realize that injecting humans with embryonic stemcells can cause cancer" But the guy may have been a crackpot

UncoveringAlias said:
I'm like 95% he said that, although he may be wrong. I thought he said something like "but many people do not realize that injecting humans with embryonic stemcells can cause cancer" But the guy may have been a crackpot
[post="1140489"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
:lol: *snorts* I thought he was ... educated. :lol:
--Mandy :angelic:

Oh we hated the guy, but it was his job to tour around the country updating high school/ college students on what was happening in the field of Genetics, so I think he knew what he was talking about most of the time

I'm definitely for stem cell research of ANY kind.

Embryonic stem cells particularly can be used to save lives (and it's a fact that adult stem cells would not be able to be 'manipulated' like embyronic ones could be).

There are currently several limitations to using adult stem cells. Although many different kinds of multipotent stem cells have been identified, adult stem cells that could give rise to all cell and tissue types have not yet been found. Adult stem cells are often present in only minute quantities and can therefore be difficult to isolate and purify. There is also evidence that they may not have the same capacity to multiply as embryonic stem cells do. Finally, adult stem cells may contain more DNA abnormalities—caused by sunlight, toxins, and errors in making more DNA copies during the course of a lifetime. These potential weaknesses might limit the usefulness of adult stem cells. (http://stemcells.nih.gov/info/faqs.asp)

Embryonic stem cells can be turned into ANY cell in the human body, and your body would accept it.

I just don't understand why people are against it. Thousands of embryos are destroyed (wouldn't that be 'killing'?) every year because they expire and aren't needed anymore. Wouldn't it be better to put these embyros to use? I don't know about you but destroying something seems to be more like killing then putting it to practical use that could save millions of lives.

stem cells! yay.

i have cystic fibrosis, but i hear they're working on using stem cells to help regrow new lung tissue that is healthy. i say, if it can make my life better and less sick, it's worth it.

I'm pro! And for people calling it murder... come on, it's like three cells. Ok so I'm exaggerating, but naming it murder is a bit extreme...

I just read this:

Australian PM gives stem cell research green light

Sat Mar 26, 1:12 PM ET  Health - AFP

SYDNEY (AFP) - Australia will allow human embryos to be used for some types of stem cell research after Prime Minister John Howard's decision not to push for extended restrictions on the use of IVF embryos.

A three-year moratorium was placed on the use of excess embryos for research in 2002 and while Howard had originally pushed for a one-year extension of the ban, he has now abandoned the idea, the Australian newspaper reported Saturday.

Since then individual states, which largely supported an end to the ban, have enacted uniform laws governing the use of human embryos.

Now that the ban will not be extended, embryos created after April 5, 2002, can be used for certain types of stem cell research. However, it is illegal to produce embryos just for research.

A spokeswoman for Victorian premier Steve Bracks said Howard's decision was "a significant step forward in the stem cell debate."

"We believe that we should use excess IVF (in vitro fertilisation) embryos that would otherwise be flushed down the sink," she said.

New South Wales state Minister for Medical Research Frank Sartor said Howard's decision not to press for the extension of the ban was an indication of the nationwide support for stem cell research.

"There is a consensus. There was a conscience vote in all parliaments. This was weighed up by everyone. People of goodwill throughout the country and two-thirds of parliamentarians pretty much voted for this approach," he said.
Go us! This may well be the first decent thing John Howard has done!

i thought i'd revive this in light of the fact that the U.S. House of Representatives has passed a bill (with the support of 50 republicans) for loosening regulations on embryonic stem cell research, specifically as it relates to unused embryos in fertility treatments. the bill goes to the senate where it does have some bipartisan support. however, President Bush has threatened to make it his first veto if the bill passes the senate as well. any thoughts?

xdancer said:
i thought i'd revive this in light of the fact that the U.S. House of Representatives has passed a bill (with the support of 50 republicans) for loosening regulations on embryonic stem cell research, specifically as it relates to unused embryos in fertility treatments.  the bill goes to the senate where it does have some bipartisan support.  however, President Bush has threatened to make it his first veto if the bill passes the senate as well.  any thoughts?
[post="1355221"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I applaude the House for passing this, especially the Republicans...but I am sad that it took the death of President Regan from alzheimers (which could be cured from stem cells) to really make people aware of their importance.

I think Bush will veto it if it gets to him and that makes me so mad. Embyros are destroyed every year yet that's not called 'killing'...but if we were to manipulate them to SAVE lives, that'd be killing... :confused: It makes no sense. Here we have the means to potentially cure diseases and give terminal patients a fighting chance...yet we do nothing about it.

Itz tha Dreila said:
If Bush vetos it he's an idiot for sure.
[post="1355688"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

He said he will. Even though it's wildly supported by the country and his approval rating is continued to fall because of his opposition towards this bill.

i don't believe in stem cell research. it's no different then thousands of years ago when people would sacrifice they're babies to their gods so that they (the parents) would live longer and not get sick. now we're using unborn babies to benefit ourselves.

Osiris said:
i don't believe in stem cell research.  it's no different then thousands of years ago when people would sacrifice they're babies to their gods so that they (the parents) would live longer and not get sick.  now we're using unborn babies to benefit ourselves.
[post="1356411"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

But the vast majority of these unused embyros are going to be destroyed. Thousands are destroyed every year. Which is better? Destroying them or being able to use them to help save people?

Jamison said:
He said he will.  Even though it's wildly supported by the country and his approval rating is continued to fall because of his opposition towards this bill.
[post="1355851"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
If he's smart he won't veto it. If he does, he'll lose support from a LOT of people. He's better off to just leave it alone.

I think its the economic reality of this that has forced the House to do this. Restricting research into this when the South Koreans and the British are already miles in front would do serious damage to US based drug companies.

The problem is not Bush has said he will veto it, how is he going to not veto it?

my big problem with it is that women will get pregnant just so they can get money for the fetus. and i don't think that it's right.

Back