Sydney

Katrina Halliwell

Inspiring Alias writer
I thought I'll try my hand at POV's (Point of Views) cuz I know the characters so well. Did this one on the bus ride and surprising didn't need a ton of editing. Please R & R. Thanks! :D

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Sydney

Sydney. The one word that can either stricken my heart with fear, or melt away all the walls that had been built up around me. She is my daughter, my understanding daughter, and I love her so much that there are no words to express how I feel. Yet there is a great ideal I must keep from her, for she was born in a world full of deceit and treachery, as she has already found out.

Her mother, a woman of strong ideals, betrayed me. At first, before I knew the whole truth that may still not be the whole truth, I had a vague suspicion that Laura, no, Irina was not all she appeared to b. A doting wife, a loving mother, she hid her true identity well. I never knew she was Irina Derevko, a KGB agent who was on an assignment to gather intel from me about the CIA.

Did she ever fall in love with me after all those years? I shall never know but I hope for the sake of our daughter that she loved Sydney and would do nothing to harm her. But I did love her, even if she did not love me back, and the pain that my heart felt was excoriating. The wounds that were created would never heal and she and I both know that. She had gotten through to me and I was blind to all the signs of her betrayal because I was in love. I was in love with her, so much in love, and I didn’t want to believe that my wife was my enemy.

Oh Sydney, how I want to be the loving father that you want me to be, but life is too complicated, too hard, for either of us to have a normal life. In your childhood, I put you in boarding school to protect you. I didn’t want you to know Sloane and learn how evil he truly was but if there was a way, I swear to you my child, that I would have found one so that you could be with Emily. What a wonderful she would’ve been for you. Sweet and caring, you would’ve had a normal childhood if I had met her first, before Arvin Sloane and your mother.

Every morning, your sweet voice bids me a salutation. If only it was elsewhere, away from all the secrecy, deceit, lies, and treachery, I would’ve been overjoyed, it would’ve been perfect. But this will do. Everyday, I get to see you and marvel. You are so much like to two of us, Irina and I. Your strong fiery spirit, your spunk I would sometimes call it, has gotten us through so many scraps that I could almost swear that you were the luckiest in our family at time, but you're not. I am so proud of you Sydney and I always will be.

You can never be the luckiest. In fact, you have to worst luck of all. You lose your mother at such a young age, learn to hate me, join SD-6 then to learn that it wasn’t part of the CIA and that everything there was a lie, meet your mother then become betrayed by her, die, resurface to find that Vaughn had gotten married. I pity you, Sydney, you were not meant to live a life like this.

Here you come now, after a tiresome day of dull paperwork, still as perky as you came in this morning. I smile to myself as I think this, I guess youth does have its benefits.

“Good night, Dad.” Unexpectedly, you give me a kiss, but it’s not unwelcome.

“Good night, Sydney. Drive safely.”

“I will, Dad. Bye. See you tomorrow!”

‘See you,’ I silently add as I watch you walked away. ‘Bright and early.’

~*~*~*~*~*~</span>

Back