That's it! I Quit! (figurative title)

WatchMaker said:
Honestly, I have no problem with 1337 speak. Infact, I love it. It can be very funny to use at times, and I have yet to see it ever OVER abused in a mmorpg. Its only annoying to the hardcore RP'ers, in which case, any normal non-rp'ing talk would be just as bad.

Hehe, obviously you've never played on the Kil'Jaeden server on WoW. You're lucky there if you find anyone who speaks normally. It's all "Pwned, lawlz, uber letwz, and uberz 1337". It's just ridiculous. Not only do words like that not belong in the typical fantasy setting, but they don't even belong in our modern society. It's immature, annoying, makes no sense whatsoever, and makes me watch to punch a baby (gotta love Dane Cook). When a character types he is speaking...how in uncle Tom's cabin to you prnounce "pwnd" or "pwned"? When somone tells me "Dewdz, yer so 1337!" how is my character spose to interpreted that? "My name is not Doodz, and I'm not 1337, I'm only twenty-five." Someone tells me I've been "pwned by uber lewtz". What the--is that Suwari for "I'm too stupid speak in human"? Oh, maybe they said "puss in newer boots" and the accent was just too heavy for me to understand.

And yes, I am a fiarly hardcore RPer, but even in non-RP games or when I'm not RPing, I can't stand to read that. Every time I see it I just want to scream "ENGLISH mother*bleep*...do you speak it!" (love that movie :smiley: )

It's the reason I mainly play my FPS games on private server. It's the reason I moved to the RP servers on WoW (this was before they had RP/PvP server). I have a couple friends who have started speaking like that IN REAL LIFE, and the reason I don't go out with them in public anymore. It's just sad when my 4 year old nephew is easier to understand then, at the very least, 14 yr olds.

Anyhow, I'm not all to worried about that with HJ in the first place. Simu has always been an advocate for RP, but even if not enforced, I have a hard time believing they'll let talk like that go on in excess. Not to mention Simu has a lot more mature following than most.

Yeah, grinding and "1337 speak" both annoy me. Then again, I'm also annoyed by people who refuse to capitolize their freakin' names! Or their speech, for that matter. Or when they refuse to use any sort of puntuation...

Anyway, yeah, those things annoy me. So does forced grouping, like in FFXI... That, and unrealistic level barriers. Like, in FFXI, how you couldn't ride a chocobo or get a new class that wasn't a starter class until like level 20, or something. I don't remember exactly, since it's been so long, but you get my point. In fact, I don't like classes that you can't get at character creation, but I guess it might sometimes make sense... I still don't like it, though.

Anyway, yeah...

I love 1337 speakers and while I don't do it too much the people that do it tend to be more laid back. I don't like playing with folks that are too anal and take that sort of thing too seriously. On the RP server that's cool but please don't get all anal like that on the nonRP server.

z80 said:
I love 1337 speakers and while I don't do it too much the people that do it tend to be more laid back. I don't like playing with folks that are too anal and take that sort of thing too seriously. On the RP server that's cool but please don't get all anal like that on the nonRP server.

First off, you can't get any more laid back then me in an MMO. You're talking to somebody who played WoW for a year (4-8 hrs a day) and only got to level 32. While I am an RPer I never get anal with people who do not RP, and I never push RP on anybody. But as I said, even on a non-RP server when I'm not RPing at all, I still speak english. Maybe it's just me, but don't people grow out of these things? Heck, by the time I reached my senior year in highschool I realized I didn't have to say the -F- word in every sentence to be cool.

It's not a matter of me being anal...it's the fact that I speak English. I don't know what the heck "lawl subtle blow gear" means (quoted directly from the link Daax posted in his last thread). It's the fact that I don't want to learn a new language just to communicate in an English speaking game. What is the point of leet speak? It's obviously not shorthand for sentences - "lawl subtle blow gear" - can't you just say "that gear sucks"? (if that's even how it translates)

That said, I may be able to live with the occasional leet slipage -- or at best, ignore it. But I have no desire to translate sentences. You can tell a lot about a person's maturity by how they speak. Am I saying that all people that use leet speak are immature? No. I have a friend who uses leet speak, but the difference is, he knows where it belongs, and where it doesn't.

Anyhow, since I'm posting I might as well contribute to the thread.

Yes, soulbound items annoy me too. All the sudden, and for some unexplained illogical reason, an item I've picked up can't be used by anyone else. Like Kuzz said, what invisiable barrier is there that's keeping me from handing an item to someone else? Although it is very very annoying, it is something I could suffer through without having to quit the game entirely.

Hmm, I don't see the problem with soulbound items. At least in DR an item that was bonded to you was a mark of pride. They were status symbols of sorts. I know that some people in loot-centric games can ninja loot items like that, but thats more a problem with the game focusing so much on loot, not the nature of the item itself.

As for deal-breakers for me, there really isn't much at all. I can weather most storms. If something gets 'nerfed' I look at it as a new challenge, something different to work around rather than a doom and gloom game-breaker. Leet speak annoys me, but I won't stop playing a game because of it, I just avoid the people using it, soloing if need be. The only thing that has made me leave games have been RL issues. For the most part it has been that I want to play another MMO but can't afford to pay for both at the same time so I have to stop playing one.

Actually, I didn't say that. About the whole "F word" thing... Why would you say a word to be cool? I swear, yeah, but I don't do it to be cool. It's just how I speak. *shrug*

Oh, and about the soulboud items thing, I agree 100% Rics.

There are so many things that could ruin this game (or any MMORPG) for me and cause me to quit. Most of them are related to game design such as the combat system, variety and intelligence of enemies, pvp system, economy, player community, storyline, etc.

I could write forever about subjects like that though and no one would bother to read it all. Instead I'll just say, server instability and lag.

If I want to play and can't or if playing is such a frustrating ordeal due to frequent "server maintenance" shut downs, extreme lag or repeated lost connections then an otherwise fun game just becomes unplayable for me (e.g. WoW).

Server instability and lag is a big issue. I can handle it in densly populated areas if I am not trying to do something that requires split second timing but overall, if I cast a spell, I shouldn't have to wait 10 seconds for it to start.

When it comes to content, forced grouping and required raiding is major reason for me to quit. I don't mind grouping with friends but won't be forced into it. Raiding? Not going to happen. I play a lot (4+ hours a night/all weekend on a new game) but I don't want to spend it with 40 other people trying to figure out how to kill this one monster just so I can have a very slim chance of getting a nice item. Give me a very lengthy quest to get the item. Make it take five times as long to get the same item but give me an option.

On the subject of soulbonded, I prefer general items that are received as loot from a monster to not be soulbonded in any way (bind on pickup, bind when equip, etc.). When I am done using it, I should be able to pass it down to a friend or give it to a new player just starting out. Now items that are received from a quest are different. I can understand and rp the idea that after completing a lengthy quest, the quest giver was so pleased, I received a special reward that was made just for me (yea, it is identical to every other one but still it is "special").

Don't like leetspeak, especially on rp servers but I can ignore that if required and it won't make me quit.

That's about it.

Jaxtron said:
Now items that are received from a quest are different. I can understand and rp the idea that after completing a lengthy quest, the quest giver was so pleased, I received a special reward that was made just for me (yea, it is identical to every other one but still it is "special").
That admittedly, is the only situation where soulbinding makes sense from a play mechanics perspective. Aside from that I think it's stupid.

I will quit if i get the bait and switch warcraft style, where it starts wide at the bottom then we are all funneled into the hardcore bracket, along with forced raiding whether it be pve, or pvp.

Back