The Chronicles of Spellborn

Part 2 of mmorpg's visit to Spellborn's office.

This time its about sound, and as a "soundguy" I think this is the most interesting part of game developing.

Go Read!!

After having looked the game up, which I haven't done in a good six months, giving another read to the lore I freaking -excited- abou TCoS. I'm renewing my effort to get into beta, brushed up my ap etc. The lore is just... yowza, combat looks to be a blast. Did I mention the lore?

I'll be there will bells on, as will Tyrswind and atleast one of our good friends (and awesome RPer) from Saga of Ryzom I'm sure. Good way to kill time until HJ finally decides to come out.

This had been the game I was hoping would occupy my time till HJ came out. But now with the push back to Q4 this year for release its a little dis-heartening. But oh well at least they care about the quality of their release unlike some other games *cough* vanguard *cough*.

I can take it. It pisses me off, but I can take it.

Then I hear Spore is being delayed indefinitely.

And THAT was when my day went bad. :mad:

I am all over this game in so many ways, it just seems to grow the more info is released :smiley:

A dev journal post about Spellborn's Wildlife System and how they used their faction mechanic to create realistic creature interaction:

http://www.tcos.com/sbforum/viewtopic.php?t=11038&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Reminds me of Ryzom's system, though Ryzom took it a step farther by giving each 'herd' of creatures a path to wander between their grazing grounds and their sleeping grounds.

I love faction systems. EQ had a lot of it in earlier years but seems to have given up on it 95% of the time with expansions.

The only part I dont really like is the statue reward thingies...
But I can live with it, It seems to be such a small part.

Alright, that video sold me..I am slightly interested in Chronicles of Spellborn now..

Bout darn time. It's a hell of a game, with by far the most unique and exciting setting/lore I've read for an MMO. I can't wait to create characters to fit into that world. The devs really like their storyline and are dedicated to it's evolution, which is uniquely player driven in what direction it goes. The faction system is VERY realistic, a perfect gray of politics. No "This group is good, this group is evil". It's all grey, with political movements and self-interest. You work for your House to run missions to uncover the past history and in so earn the favor of the Oracle who will show your House paths through the Deadspell to other shards which your House then owns and controls in an economic or PvP manner. Each server will be different in the amount of landmasses discovered, the content opened up, the Houses in power etc.

They also use an armor system similiar to HJ, meaning that you get to choose your outfit and your stats/armor are decided by non-visual items. (Sigils vs Wyr)

When that girl sat in a chair I almost fell out of my chair.

The only thing that makes me sad is the Europe gets it before we do :( I suppose that's alright, after play Saga of Ryzom (another French game) I have a lot of respect for the open ended, sandbox play that European games tend to lean towards. I'll wait, though not happily ; ;

BTW: These are a good intro to the setting/lore, and good reads as well.

Me too! And boy do I hope that they don't force us onto US only servers :( Some of the best RP I've ever had has been with Europeans, I love gaming with you guys. Even if I do have to work off of GMT which hurts my thick American brain >.>

They should do what Nevrax did with Ryzom, host the servers and all that over there, just let us download it and play. Skips the need for a US publisher at all.

Sadly. a few of my worst gaming experiences is with Americans :/
(I played Lineage2 on american servers)
And those I liked, always played when I was in bed, mostly... Because of the timediffer.

I will say this, Americans tend to be arrogant, mean spirited, and selfish. Few people seem to take pride in their own ignorance and stubbornness as strongly as Americans do. With an overall deficit of honor, integrity, honesty, and selflessness, they strike me as the spoiled children of the world.

I should know. I've lived here quite some time... *grumbles*

Canadians are nice folks though, for the most part.

~Dune Walker~

*twirls a pencil-thin, long mustache with an evil grin*I am a selfish American! I shall beg for gold in games and steal your resource nodes while you are fighting the mobs around it!

My favorite is the non pvp server, "Hah I steal your node and you can't touch me" victory dance. Consists of laughing and pointing at the person whose node you stole, swearing like a sailor, jumping on and around them, and then following them around for the next hour stealing all their nodes.

*grumbles*

~Dune Walker~

I will say this, Americans tend to be arrogant, mean spirited, and selfish. Few people seem to take pride in their own ignorance and stubbornness as strongly as Americans do. With an overall deficit of honor, integrity, honesty, and selflessness, they strike me as the spoiled children of the world.

I should know. I've lived here quite some time... *grumbles*

Canadians are nice folks though, for the most part.

~Dune Walker~

So much for that whole "once-cynic turned optimist" thing, eh? /:smiley:

Oh, I'm just grumbley. I don't actually believe that there aren't any nice people in America. I just am honest and say that in America, and indeed everywhere, the people who aren't nice are either more numerous or more vocal than those who are.

Honestly, cynicism isn't just looking at things in a negative light, but more of a mind-frame of the world being messed up and not being able to do anything to fix it. I'm the sort of optimist that thinks things are messed up, but that every good thing I and anyone else does in the world helps to counteract the evils of the world.

*grins*

I'm also a pacifist, but if you ever saw me forced to break someone's nose to bring a crisis to a close, I certainly wouldn't fit the common perception of a pacifist (thankfully I've never had to do anything of the sort). Pacifism always, until there is no possible or reasonable option except for a violent action. Then, only violent action that is as minimally forceful or damaging as needed to bring about the least damaging conclusion. Painless measures before painful, nonwounding before wounding, fatal as absolute last resort.

I'm an odd sort of fellow. Don't expect labels like Pacifist or Optimist to fit me perfectly, or rather, for me to fit them!

~Dune Walker~

Back