The Practice

V

verdantheart

Let's talk about the legal drama here. There's been a lot of changes for the 2003-2004 season, so there's a lot to talk about. The ratings are back up over last season so far, and there seems to be a lot of controversy over the new character (Alan?) played by James Spader.

Personally, I like the character. He has no illusions about the law being some sort of noble profession and the basis of the profession being sacrosanct. The basis of jurisprudence is not about discovering the truth--otherwise, it would not be an adversarial system. Evidence would not be thrown out--instead, those who obtain evidence illegally would be punished, but evidence would still be used. If the truth mattered above all. But enough about the US "justice" system.

It seems ironic and interesting to me that the one character who is considered the sleaziest--an embezzler with no ethics whatsoever, is the one character in the series who seems to have the greatest compassion and respect for his clients no matter what offense they've committed--and he tried his best to help his mentally ill friend (Sharon Stone) while the others in the office (all on their moral high horses) put their noses in the air sans compassion. He was the one who had the guts to do what was needed to get an innocent little girl out of prison at considerable damage to his reputation--what reputation, you say? He doesn't really care, but Eugene does, he cares about the firm's reputation.

I'll tell you what though, I'm loving the sleazebag a lot more than these folks brooding over their moral responsibilities. For once I'm not with the critics. But then I've always been a little subversive . . . What a breath of fresh air.
;)

Gotta say he is a bad guy who we love to hate ... he has brought new meaning to the show and its great watching him ... he does what he can, and even those sleazy things seem to be for a good reason ... ;)

did you see the show on Sunday night after "Full Disclosure"?

it was awesome ... I loved it ... the writers did a great job and the
actors were phenomenal ... (y) (y)

Yeah, it was so frustrating! Sometimes it really does seem as though the "system" doesn't care who pays as long as someone does--guilty or not. Personally, if someone shot my husband, I'd want to make damn sure that the guilty person was sent to prison for the crime, not some poor b----d that happened to be in the area. I wish our system was more about discovering the truth than adversarial-based . . .
:(

I know what you mean ... its awful to see some innocent guy, who just happened to be there, had to pay for a crime he didn't commit ... :(

Last week episode was so well written ... and the final scene was so nicely done ... even though it was like ... "I knew it" ... it was almost as if it didn't matter ...

This would be the last season of "The Practice" ... I hope they go out with a bang ... (y)

It's sort of the last season. There will be a new series that will go on using Alan Shore, James Spader's character, and a few of the other characters from the series. Apparently,

[quote name='spoiler: details from this sunday's ep - highlight to reveal']Shore will be fired (probably for reasons that you know about if you've been watching) and file a wrongful termination suit. He'll move into a high-priced civil firm.[/quote]
So although The Practice is ending, a new series is beginning that will be born out of it based on the promising (to my mind) new character introduced in its last season.

Good luck to them. And it was nice to see that it came back with a satisfying final season.
;)

its been a great ride ... the Practice is a great legal drama, but the end was suppose to happen next year ... and it was sent off greatly ... then they re-surfaced with a great character here ... and I guess he deserved his own show ... (y) (y)

anyone watch the season finale last sunday? i liked the way they ended it, i especially liked the last 10 minutes...

however, Shatner still bothers me more than ever now and I'm upset he's sticking around...

i LOVED the practice, and im sooo sad it was over! i thought it was good, but what was weird was that in most season/series finales SO MUCH happens. in this one, there was no previous cliffhanger that really had to be resolved...they just needed to connect stuff to the new show! but i still liked it, ill miss the show a lot!

It was a great episode ... loved it ...

William Shatner's "Danny Crane"-thingy still gets on my nerves ...

on the other hand, James and Rebecca are doing a great jobs with their
characters ...

Hope "Fleet Street" does very well for ABC too ;)

I love Rebecca...and I admit that I was not fond of Spader when he first came on, but his character has grown a lot on me...I will definitely be tuning in to Fleet Street (even if it does mean listening to "Danny Crane" over and over again :rolleyes: )

I'm in Australia, so we haven't got the James Spader season yet.
I used to be completely obsessed with this show, but I kind of stoppped watching it after season 4 because I moved to London for a few years.
I was getting over anorexia, and actually sent an email to Camryn Manheim (Eleanor) congratulating her on her book ('Wake Up I'm Fat'). The next thing I knew, we were emailing backwards and forwards, and she sent me a letter with a personally autographed photo. So yeah, I think the show was great until Bobby lost the plot, and it helps to have a great cast.

yeah, the cast was great ... but Bobby wanted to leave ... and he did ... but remember that ABC was already talking about cancelling the show by last year ... so it was like nothing needed to be done ... but while Dylan McDermott had said, OK ... you are cancelling, I am leaving ... and then all of a sudden ... the Practice was back for another season ...