Things that make me happy: solo content

Jaraeth

Cadet
<<If HJ changes that equation, if it's designed so that only active contact with other players is possible, or -- worse -- if it's required by forcing every player into a "family" or clan or guild or whatever... that's going to make it considerably less fun for me to play, possibly to the point that I simply won't do so.>>

No one's forced into anything.

The Player Societies (formerly Houses) will be voluntary only. Think of them like politics. You can't get into a political faction without communicating. There is no such thing as a "solo" politician. Politics, by definition, requires interaction with others.

I've joined guilds, I've even run guilds, but the majority of my time I've spent in MMOs has been spent playing on my own (this includes GemStone III, back when I was a newbie player and a much more social creature). Any game that doesn't support that behavior I have usually ended up canceling in the first week.

HJ's solo content is secure. :smiley:

Steph
HJ Lead Designer

That.... THAT... makes me happy. Just thought I'd share :smiley:

~ Jaraeth

true. i like to play with a group. but it takes a lot of time to find one. time i often don't have. so i end up in most mmorpgs to play for an hour, quit, return, play for an hour and so on.

which leads me to this question: will there be any in-game tools to make group-finding easier and faster?

Jaraeth said:
That.... THAT... makes me happy. Just thought I'd share :smiley:

~ Jaraeth
Hear, hear! The best thing about Simu games (apart from the massive amount of emotes) for me has always been the ability to solo effectively regardless of class. That's not to say the social aspect isn't in those games, its just nice to be able to spend time effectively by yourself if you feel like playing at 3 in the morning when every sane person is asleep. :rolleyes2:
Plus there's days when I'm more than a little bit grumpy and I certainly wouldn't want ot inflict myself on anyone until I've let loose on a few monsters.:smiley:

Sweet. I usually go alone in nearly every game I play and my character is going to be more likely to avoid others as well, so this is great.

Evran said:
Plus there's days when I'm more than a little bit grumpy and I certainly wouldn't want ot inflict myself on anyone until I've let loose on a few monsters.:smiley:

Okay umm.. this reply is for no other reason than to say that that was pretty damn funny!!!:smiley: :smiley:
-----------------------------------------
Solo content is a must I would think.

Yes soloing is a must imo and here's why. Who wants to have to find a group when they just decided to log on during their lunch break?? Anyone... I don't and would just like to get my fix and kill a couple mobs and be done and go back to work, a stress relief of sorts. Don't get me wrong I love to group just sometimes I'd rather solo. Along with that if someone is lets say maxed at lvl 50 and still wants to solo why not?? Let them do it have some content for them to still do what they want. Too often times games tend to force chars to group at higher levels which doesnt makes sense to me since my char is now strong but now I have to be in a group....not much fun.

Thumbs way up for HJ on this one, it makes me veryyyyy happy :smiley:

I am with you all on this one.

Grouping can be fun, and I certainly don't expect to take down the uber dragon of much uberness without one (a big one), but solo play is a must for me.

What's more, I hope that the end-game content doesn't suddenly change the game into a different game, forcing only group content. Lasting power of a game to me means creating a game system that is scaleable and fun, regardless of the level I happen to be at.

if the heroblade-system is really that flexible and dynamic, i would love to play the same solo-instance all over again, when i maxed my character. every time you play it, a surprise awaits you. that'll be great.

Daax said:
You know what would make me happy? A pet panda in-game. :smiley:

OMG!!!! 666th post!!!! X_____x

Only you daax only you.... So what do you think about solo content daax? Are you more for that or for group play? What types of things would you like to do soloing as opposed to grouping?

I think that we all need to remember what this game is about, you... the journey of your hero. Not "hero's" plural. The journey of a hero, sometimes involves others... other hero's and/or other "normal citizens". But if a hero, as a person, is expected to group all the time, it would be "Heroes Journey", meaning plural "hero". That's just me... now I wait and see if the grammar Nazi's nitpick at the differences between "Heros" and "Heroes", which are both in the Dictionary :smiley:

All in all, I solo 90% of the time. I like it that way... I can interact with people where and when I see fit. I am not forced to interact with them if my character so chooses.

~ Jaraeth

I don't know why, but I love grouping. I can't explain why I just love it. I like soloing too and I think a good portion of the game should be solo but I still love team play more.

I like the strategy of team play and the way everyone helps each other so that if you mess up or are in trouble, you've got friends to back you up. That's why I connected so well with FFXI.

Another reason I love team play is because I'm the type to take orders. Not because I like following people around but because I don't have to take the responsibility of either winning or losing the battle for everyone. I guess that's not a good thing and I'm pretty pathetic for it....

I like grouping. So far, all the games I've played (WoW, Horizons, Ryzom) you're almost forced to solo, folks dont wanna group (WoW, since soloing is easy til cap), or there's not enough folks around your zone. Either there's no incentive to outside rare occaisions, or everyone's at the top lvl brackets and not as much folks at the lower end.

I'd like to have a game that granted bonuses for grouping that made people always on the lookout for a hunt partner or group. So often its only raids/bosses that people will group together for.

Back