Uber Items

Nnem

Cadet
So...
My experience with WoW is fvery minimal, but from what I understand you do raids for sets of gear. The hard the raid the rarer (and better) the gear right?

Thats kind of how it was in DAoC...very kind of. The thing DAoC had that I really like was crafters that could create equipment for you and give it stats and attributes that you wanted. You could get exactlty what you wanted. Although sometimes these items werent as good as the l33t drops, you could easily get be at par (or above) someone who has all of those cool items.

I hope HJ does something similar to DAoC. You have those great items that you have to work hard for, but you dont NEED to. Maybe you dont need to in WoW but that is just the impression I got...

For a game to take advantage of a craft, or player skill...I think...does alot of good for the game. Also brings in alot of good RP.

there will be no "crafting" as we know it...
And I think (as far as I understand) the gear is not crusual for your character. Instead you become "good" at using gear, no matter what gear it is. Like a rogue is very good with daggers, but not a specific one, so he can wield just anyone with similar result. Of course there will be magic items, and the Wyrs will upgrade weapons and gear as well but I think you will carry the weapon you like best visually, same with armour, and not by its stats..

Someone might correct me if Im wrong

For armor/weapon customization HJ will use the Wyr. Wyr are special items you stick into the weapon/armor to increase stats, provide special abilities, add elemental attacks, etc. And of course the rarer the Wyr the more powerful it is.

There is another thread on the topic of crafting. By all appearances players will not be dependent on Uber Drops for the best items. But by the combination of crafting and improvements by the player, items can be come uber.
Which is not to say there aren't going to be Uber Loot items, surely there will be. More like their importance will be greatly diminished, in terms of players achieveing the collection of the best gear possible.

This is the forum thread of which I spoke.
HEROSHALL.COM

Don't forget... equipping armor, spells and weapons with Wyr will be possible. but, add in the fact that things will level up as you do. I don't recall off the top of my head, how and in what way... but I recall a conversation, perhaps an interview with someone at Simu stating "Like the look of this weapon? don't want to upgrade in order to have better weapon? You don't have to, it levels with you!" or some such.

~ Jar

I prefer that items have minimal impact on your activities. Your skill with the items should be the most important factor. Also, any advantage given by an item should depend on whether you have the skill to apply that advantage.

Sylvado said:
I prefer that items have minimal impact on your activities. Your skill with the items should be the most important factor. Also, any advantage given by an item should depend on whether you have the skill to apply that advantage.

I believe that is Simu's intention as well... in order to "level up" a weapon, you have to have enough skill, and in order to apply Wyr, you must be able to handle it/have skill in using it.

WatchMaker said:
I certainly don't mind there being certain unique UBER1337CAKEANDPIES weapons, but I don't want to see them getting farmed.

That sentence sums up the problem. How do you farm an unique item?

Keep camping the same uber mob who drops such things. It might drop a different one each time (hence unique), but the method to getting it remains the same.

blur said:
Keep camping the same uber mob who drops such things. It might drop a different one each time (hence unique), but the method to getting it remains the same.

I think he meant it as a rhetorical question. ;)2

Khemenlith said:
I think he meant it as a rhetorical question. ;)2
Actually I took it to be a criticism of the use of the word unique.

ie: Most farming is done to get common items or, at the very best, rare items. But certainly not unique. Unique, after all, means one of a kind.

So I took the question be asking how you can farm something that's truly one of a kind, and I proposed the method. It's not the SAME unique item (because otherwise it wouldn't be unique), but the mob can certainly drop multiple unique items, that are all different to each other.

too bad it would be too much work to make it so if you kill a mob and get a special drop you can't get a special drop again for like 48 hrs or you can't get a special drop if you kill one mob repetetively...

Oh yeah, there are whole cottage industries built around that.

That's why it's our job, if we're lucky enough to beta test this game, to get in there and try and rip it off, wholesale. The more we can bring sneaky new tricks, etc, to the testing, and point out to the devs not only all the bugs, but also any exploits, the better the game will be upon release.

Ya, not to mention how fun it will be to mess with all the exploits and report them. I disagree completely with those who use search for exploits to have fun in game after beta but during beta it would be great to find every col bug, exploit , etc. in the game, use and report it...

It's part of beta testing, mate.

Try and break the game. That's what it's all about.

Sadly, too many people these days just see beta testing as a way to play the game before anyone else, and it's such a shallow POV, I just find it pathetic. It's not helped when magazines and Websites give beta keys to people as "prizes". It furthers this perception that beta is supposed to be loads of fun.

Back