Uber Items

Yeah, but people don't. They just treat is like playing the game and hope "other people" will do the work for them.

blur said:
It's part of beta testing, mate.

Try and break the game. That's what it's all about.

Sadly, too many people these days just see beta testing as a way to play the game before anyone else, and it's such a shallow POV, I just find it pathetic. It's not helped when magazines and Websites give beta keys to people as "prizes". It furthers this perception that beta is supposed to be loads of fun.

To me, trying to break games is a load of fun. I've never been in an MMO beta, but I've had a blast playtesting both my pen and paper RPG and a friend's. It's almost like the Matrix (the world, not the MMO)- the world tells you you should play it one way, but you might just find some really amusing ways to break the system... until the suits shut you down. True lots of it is mudane boring stuff, but the amusement value and treasure hunt aspect of it really appeals to me.

Favorite quote ever to come out of a playtesting session: "I hit you so hard the system broke." :D2

Oh it's loads of fun if you like that kind of thing (and frankly, I do too), but I was talking about a more conventional sense of fun. You get all these idiots who just want to play the game for (conventionally) fun reasons and not test anything worth a damn. That's something I blow up about.

well if most of the uber loot is gotten through instances or quests then everything should be all good. i even like WoW's idead of world epic drops. it isnt a specific mob that drops it, it is all mobs in that level range. and you would be surprised Blur at how few camp any mobs for these world drops.

personally i liked the SWG method where the best gear was crafted. i was a combat medic and i HATED crafting my own stims. i had a few people i used to buy from who made them better then i ever could. one was even an imp, really a good dude lol. hehe whats really funny is he was in one of TCO's rival imp guilds and fought on a regular basis. but when we were OOC he was a good dude so i didnt mind giving him my creds.

blur said:
Actually I took it to be a criticism of the use of the word unique.

ie: Most farming is done to get common items or, at the very best, rare items. But certainly not unique. Unique, after all, means one of a kind.

So I took the question be asking how you can farm something that's truly one of a kind, and I proposed the method. It's not the SAME unique item (because otherwise it wouldn't be unique), but the mob can certainly drop multiple unique items, that are all different to each other.

You are correct. This is a problem. It is nice to have unique items in the game but you also need to develop the game for everyone. Very rare would be a good alternative but I rather it be something you stumble upon instead of kill this to get that.

blur said:
Oh it's loads of fun if you like that kind of thing (and frankly, I do too), but I was talking about a more conventional sense of fun. You get all these idiots who just want to play the game for (conventionally) fun reasons and not test anything worth a damn. That's something I blow up about.

But isn't "stressing" the game and servers part of the beta test as well?
So inviting many people on a beta is a way of actually see how well the game run with alot of players. That means you help without doing much because theres bug-tracker keeping an eye on almost everything....

Gate said:
To me, trying to break games is a load of fun. I've never been in an MMO beta, but I've had a blast playtesting both my pen and paper RPG and a friend's. It's almost like the Matrix (the world, not the MMO)- the world tells you you should play it one way, but you might just find some really amusing ways to break the system... until the suits shut you down. True lots of it is mudane boring stuff, but the amusement value and treasure hunt aspect of it really appeals to me.

Favorite quote ever to come out of a playtesting session: "I hit you so hard the system broke." :D2

That's what I'm saying.

Dyngo said:
But isn't "stressing" the game and servers part of the beta test as well?
So inviting many people on a beta is a way of actually see how well the game run with alot of players. That means you help without doing much because theres bug-tracker keeping an eye on almost everything....
Yes, but that's a much, much, much later stage of the process. Stress testing is, literally, one of the last things the devs will probably worry about.

I like finding bugs in games and I'll admit, if I can gain something from it before reporting it, I'll do so. That's just how things work but I'll report it eventually. LoL
The only bug I totally took advantage of was the speed hack in FFXI, just because my major complaint in that game was the fact it seemed like everything was moving about 20% slower than it should've been.
Currently helping out with 9Dragons has proven pretty cool. They've fixed stuff on feed back from text problems to animations. I dunno, I enjoy beta testing and tossing info back.
I hope more games do like EQ2 and Vanguard have/are doing! NOTE! BIG BIG NOTE! Pass it on to a dev if you can... Have IN GAME bug reporting and feedback. Don't trust folks to go to message boards. I hate message boards.
Well not this one or one other, but in general I don't go to them anymore.

Back