What do you do for a living?

Martin

Cadet
I did a search but couldn't find anything so here goes...
---

What do you do for a living?
How long have you been doing it?
Is it your dream job or just a step on the ladder?
---

Right now I'm unemployed. I graduated from upper secondary school (high school in terms of US standards, but still not entirely the same. We're 19 upon graduation.) last summer and decided to turn down University even though I got accepted. Decided that I was really in need of a sabbatical year but looking back it wasn't the best of choices.. Unemployment rates, meh.

So the sabbatical year was mostly spent as unemployed. Had a few short-term jobs here and there and got by. However I'll be going to university starting in September. The university is far from home so I'll be moving out completely. Around 900 miles away. I'll be majoring in journalism. I guess that would be my what I do for a living.

Stay at home mother, been doing it for 11 years hehehe.. no not my dream job :D

Before moving away and having kids I was the Personal Assistant (PA) to the Managing Directory (CEO) of a chemical company. That wasn't my dream job either :blush:

Manager of physical security department at a cable manufacturing facility. Heh, its a job... I am trying to get hired on with the Bureau of Prisons (Federal Prison). However, my dream job will hopefully happen once I finish my PhD

Stay at home mother, been doing it for 11 years hehehe.. no not my dream job :D

Before moving away and having kids I was the Personal Assistant (PA) to the Managing Directory (CEO) of a chemical company. That wasn't my dream job either :blush:
I was curious as to how you could be online as much as I am during the day. I just assumed you were using your phone and had a pretty chill job though.

Manager of physical security department at a cable manufacturing facility. Heh, its a job... I am trying to get hired on with the Bureau of Prisons (Federal Prison). However, my dream job will hopefully happen once I finish my PhD

What are you getting a PhD in?

I work in a Hospital in Purchasing. Not my dream job, hope each day is my first out of it.

What would your dream job be then?

System Administrator for a local SaaS firm. :smiley:

That's cool. A lot of computer time at work then ehh? ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
I work for British Telecom as a Field Engineer, doing installations and repairs, on PSTN, ADSL and Fibre circuits all across Derbyshire.....I enjoy the work, but the management are Arseholes and haven't got a clue about what we do, so manage to make it a really felgercarb and stressful job.

All things considered, Id rather be an Assassin....

I work for British Telecom as a Field Engineer, doing installations and repairs, on PSTN, ADSL and Fibre circuits all across Derbyshire.....I enjoy the work, but the management are Arseholes and haven't got a clue about what we do, so manage to make it a really felgercarb and stressful job.

All things considered, Id rather be an Assassin....
Wouldn't we all.. Eventually I reckon I'll be working as a Lawyer but there's still a long way to go..

Amongst my people we call ourselves code monkeys. A keyboard and the warm glow of a monitor is both the giver of joy & pain as we work long hours into the night feeding on the nourishment of pizza and satisfaction of figuring out problems. We are a proud people but often misunderstood by outsiders.

The rest of the world, if they are over a certain age, would call me a "Computer Programmer" while the younger generations would call me a "Developer".

I work for a large consumer electronics retailer. I deal with aftersales/people and their problems. I've been doing it for almost 6 years, and I'm told I'm good at it so hopefully looking to go into management in the next year.

Dream job? Nope, but I'm happy being good at something, and being constantly told that. It's rewarding more than anything, possibly more important than the dream job with no prospects/bad management.

Back