What do you do for a living?

Really? It's the complete opposite in Sweden. It's getting more and more important to have one.
It's become important in the UK that if you're getting one, you give it your all. Anything less than a 2:1 and you don't even get sniffed at. Thats what happens when you give access to higher education to every man and his dog.

Well, look at the state of employment and business in America. No need for skilled labour and as such no need for qualified labourers.

The unemployment is out of control in Sweden as well which is precisely the reason why you need a degree.. All of a sudden you have people with a PhD applying for more "basic" jobs because there aren't any resources being poured into their academic field or their old line of work.

The unemployment is out of control in Sweden as well which is precisely the reason why you need a degree.. All of a sudden you have people with a PhD applying for more "basic" jobs because there aren't any resources being poured into their academic field or their old line of work.

Exactly, though we take a different perspective: Why get a PhD when you're going to be serving food?

Exactly, though we take a different perspective: Why get a PhD when you're going to be serving food?
Oh no I think you misunderstand me..

What I mean is that due to even people with higher education have lost their regular jobs, they now have to fight over the more basic jobs along with the rest of us that don't have an academic degree. Therefore the need to get one increases as a company will be more prone to puff up their chest and hire someone with a higher degree because they feel "it'll raise the standards" of their company. It's not whether or not you need the degree for the job itself. It's about the recruiters looking more favorably at the ones with a degree.. Even if someone without it would certainly be better at flipping burgers so to speak.

Although I have to add that this isn't a new trend. It's been going towards this for as long as I've been born (90's kid). In Sweden only First grade through ninth grade is mandatory for everyone. The police can actually force you to school at that point. Then after that we have "Upper secondary school" which is from 15 (Year you turn 16) until 18 (year you turn 19) which is more of a "pick the thing you want to study" for example I chose Civics - Law & Economics. Still on a more basic level than University but also higher than just regular school. Now upper secondary school is not mandatory by law. However if you want to go anywhere it's been mandatory since the 90's. However now it's almost mandatory to have a degree from university.

It's becoming less and less important to have a degree now anyway, so don't be hard on yourself. :smiley:

I disagree... Most good paying jobs require you to have better degrees in the states. Masters' or higher usually and getting an education is good for you! It is a good thing to learn and take in new knowledge :smiley:

Most good paying jobs require you to have better degrees in the states. Masters' or higher usually and getting an education is good for you! It is a good thing to learn and take in new knowledge :smiley:

And that is what is completely wrong as well. Who decided having "higher education" means you are more qualified? Pfffft. Bullshit. I hate how that is used.

Unless you work in a field that requires a degree such as mine, law, medicine, accounting, etc. a degree is worth as much as what you've done to entice employers. Meaning if you have jack in the networking department and no experience, no amount of schooling will entice an employer to hire you. Now you ask what about those who went to expensive state or private colleges? Well those schools usually have a felgercarb ton of dinners with industry leaders who faun over the students.

I design, install and maintain 2-way business communications systems. Mostly for police/fire, utilities and FEMA/Homeland Security etc....Involves a lot of tower climbing like the vid below. Though the highest I've climbed is 1250 feet (tower in vid is 1750').

Don't climb as much any more due to back issues. That and I don't 'free climb'. I'm always secured to the tower at a least one point. Nothing worse than being unsecured while an osprey is dive bombing you because you are too close to it's nest :D.

If you get vertigo easily you might not want to watch vid :P

Most people already know what I do but...

What do you do for a living?

I provide Enterprise level support and Custom Services to clients for IPS, Inc. I also assist in regular support as needed.

How long have you been doing it?

This particular position is new, but I've been with IPS for 2.5 years and have held many titles including: Technical Support, Conversions Developer, and Tier II Technical Support.

Is it your dream job or just a step on the ladder?

I can't imagine me doing anything other than this.

IT Service desk, started supporting a specific application but recently moved to general IT support. Been doing this for about 3 years now.

Most people already know what I do but...

I provide Enterprise level support and Custom Services to clients for IPS, Inc. I also assist in regular support as needed.

This particular position is new, but I've been with IPS for 2.5 years and have held many titles including: Technical Support, Conversions Developer, and Tier II Technical Support.

I can't imagine me doing anything other than this.

I get to update this already.

I'm now a developer too. I made my first commit to the IPS Code Vaults (aka our SVN repository) late last week. :D

Back