Season 4 What show is taking Alias' time slot?

emetib

Cadet
Brace yourselves, everyone
The show that's taking Alias' time slot on ABC this fall is called "Desperate Housewives"
I found this article about it at E! Online News

"The most surprising move in new ABC Primetime Entertainment President Stephen McPherson's fall schedule, which was unveiled Monday at the New Amsterdam Theater in New York during the network's annual upfront presentation: no Alias. The butt-kickin' spy drama starring Jennifer Garner will instead stay off the air until January, when its fourth season will unspool, sans reruns.

In Alias' Sunday night time slot this fall: Desperate Housewives, a soapy drama about a suburban wife (Twin Peaks' Sheryl Lee) who kills herself, but continues to watch over the Knots Landing-ish shenanigans of her cul-de-sac neighbors. Melrose Place and General Hospital writer Charles Pratt Jr. produces the show, which also stars former Melrose baddie Marcia Cross, Lois & Clark's Teri Hatcher, Sports Night's Felicity Huffman and Eva Longoria (Dragnet and The Young and the Restless).

Housewives is part of the network's bigger strategy to depend on drama series to revive its place in the network wars. Overall, ABC will add seven new dramas to its schedule--three at midseason--plus two new comedies and two new reality series.

"Every night we ask tens of millions of Americans to invite us into their homes, and it's our responsibility to give them a reason to let us stay. I believe these programs, and this schedule, does just that," said the sound bite-ready McPherson.

Tens of millions of viewers may actually be a ratings dream for ABC, the fourth-place network that, in last week's ratings battle, for example, didn't have one show in the top 10 and finished the week averaging just 8.3 million viewers.

The network, which has yet to recover from the nose dive its ratings took in 2001 when viewers decided they'd seen one--or 12--too many installments of the overplayed Who Wants to Be a Millionaire in prime time, is not only leaning on dramas to boost its profile, but is also looking to TV veterans like Patrick Dempsey, Steven Bocho, Tim Daly and Kelly Osbourne--in a dramatic role--to lure viewers back to its lineups."

I don't know what I think about this new show. It kinda sounds dumb. I mean that lady is dead but is still watching over her neighbors or something? I don't know it sounds a heck of a lot crappier than ALIAS that is for sure..but then again..doesn't every other show on tv? Lol. Anywayz I think it sounds stupid and far-fetched. Anyone else agree with me? Or am I alone here?

OMG I love Marcia Cross and Teri Hatcher ... :blush:

I am gonna see this one ... whatever happens to it ... ;)

even if they cancel it in a few eppy's ...

MeganGarnerBristow said:
I don't know what I think about this new show. It kinda sounds dumb. I mean that lady is dead but is still watching over her neighbors or something? I don't know it sounds a heck of a lot crappier than ALIAS that is for sure..but then again..doesn't every other show on tv? Lol. Anywayz I think it sounds stupid and far-fetched. Anyone else agree with me? Or am I alone here?
i totally agree. ABC thinks this is good for the network? What are they on drugs? I HATE soapy dramas! They think that's gonna do better than Alias in the fall?

Well, unless the smart ones have been captured by aliens for real, they probably were concentrating on moving Alias to January, and just replaced it in the fall with any old show, not really caring what it is becuase it'll only be on for half a season (YAY!)

yeah i read about that desperate housewives thingie - and if it wasnt on alias's slot i *migh* have watched it (cuz teri hatcher is in it (LOVED LOIS & CLARK :D )) but now im fully boycotting it (not to mention it didnt really sound that great...)

Well, ABC is taking a lot of risks. They have the lowest ratings out of all the networks, and they don't have a hit show as of now. Since Alias is a "sleeper hit", I guess they might be willing to try something new to attract more audiences. I'm just grateful Alias isn't cancelled altogether...

yea i wish Alias was a bigger hit, oh well, anyway i really hope this desperate housewives thing does ok, not too well, because they might bag alias, but ok so that the ratings are ok

AliasEncyclopedia said:
MeganGarnerBristow said:
i totally agree. ABC thinks this is good for the network? What are they on drugs? I HATE soapy dramas! They think that's gonna do better than Alias in the fall?

Well, unless the smart ones have been captured by aliens for real, they probably were concentrating on moving Alias to January, and just replaced it in the fall with any old show, not really caring what it is becuase it'll only be on for half a season (YAY!)
It is hard for a drama to be 'successful.' Do they actually think that introducing I believe, 7 new dramas, will be for their benefit. Come on you ABC goons.

I've also heard that Alias' 5th season might depend on whether or not Desperate Houswives is a hit... but that's not confirmed.

I nearly burst out laughing when I heard the title "Desperate Housewives." I mean, please. Maybe if it were the name of a comedy, but a soapy drama? I'll pass.

DH is getting excellent buzz, probably better than any other series at the network, so it's not like they're pairing Alias with a dog. Further, that dependency is a silly rumor--they're spending millions putting half a season of Alias in the can for goodness sake! They'd be idiots to shelve it. I'm getting really tempted to start making jokes about haldol because the paranoia is getting really rife here.
:P

For all of you who are agreeing with this new nonsense of a show is CRAZY! ALIAS is on Sunday night ABC 900! NO OTHER SHOW CAN REPLACE IT!! THAT IS THE ONLY REASON TO BE HYPED UP ON SUNDAYS! ABC better NOT replace ALIAS with some soapy mess. :angry:

Back