what's the best exercise?

Honestly, simple walking at a brisk pace is one of the best you can do for cardiovascular health. It's also the cheapest. If you can barely carry on a conversation with a walking partner (because of "huffing and puffing"), you are walking fast enough.

Running! I love to run. It's the best when you're stressed or you need to clear your mind. But if you don't like running then walking is ok too.

if you work out on any kind of machine while watching something or listenign to something really works. I have an olyptical at home and i watch my alias season dvds! I luv it..it makes workign out easier

it's kinda hard to explain...

its a machine that has footing and handle bars...its kind of like your skiing in place. I doesn't really get me in shape but you can see a difference. It works just about anywhere because of its motion but more you legs-especially your thighs and butt

If you have access to an indoor pool, since it's winter and all here in the northern hemisphere, swimming is probably the best exercise out there. Not only to do you work virtually every muscle in your body, but it's also great cardiovascular work, and also sculps your body beautifully.

let's say you decide to go jogging or running or whatever.

if you start out slow and then speed up then slow down and repeat that pattern, you'll actually burn more fat/calories.

i have dance an hour 5 days a week and i do 500 crunches/sit ups a day.

Walking is the best exercise for me. I used to run, but my knees will now strongly (and painfully) protest after a half-mile (which is sad for an ex-cross country runner).

The elliptical is also a good, low-impact exercise, if you have access to one.

Am also a big fan of pilates - especially with a stability ball. It requires concentration - but will improve your balance as well. And it's fun! You don't feel like you're doing much, but it really tones muscles.

I train for swimming 6 hours a day but what i have learnt the key to staying healthy and in shape is that you need a pattern, and if you do it once a week- it is not effective. For excercise to actually benefit you,you must do it at least twice a week, preferably more and for roughly 30 mnutes depending on the activity. With what exercise today, i think swimming is great because it literally works everything and i find it SO relaxing. but thats just me. Yoga and pilates is great for relaxation.

Plyometrics i am being told is the new yoga...watch out!

Technically I don't exercise I just play different sports 3 different sports a week some I train for some I don't coz I just have no time nor the facillities to do so, so I get my exercise and socialize with my friends at the same time so It's all good!!

I play golf, it's the eqivalent of a 6 mile walk and if you are playing well it's a great sport. I'm actually playing in about 12 hrs weather permitting!

fartlecks...(I hate doing them but they are great for endurance and calorie burning)...we do them for track workouts.
-1 minute at almost a sprint then 2 minutes at a jog. you would do this for 20 minutes or 2x15 minutes...after a proper warm-up
-when you are just starting out, go for about 30 seconds sprint than 2 minute jog.
(you can do this with walking, but with jogging than walking)

you can also use weights when you walk/run so you can tone your arms.

notes:
you should be sweating before you actually start working out, so your warm-up should make you sweat.
stretch after your warm-up and work-out
when you tighten up when you run try running backwords for a couple minutes.
to prevent muscle tightening...take in electrolytes...drink water (make sure your well hydrated), and if you injure any muscles eat protein...nuts, beans, meat, etc.

Back