When Love is not Enough

When Love Is Not Enough- Part 1

Rating: PG- for now
Pairing: S/V- well kinda
Note: This fic is mid “Frame” AU
Thanks: Thanks to “B” for reading this through and listening to me blabber on. To yumytaffy, without you this would be dead in the water and for your wonderful editing. To Doona, for reading my first fic and giving me the kick in the behind i needed. Thank you also to Kimmers. Hugs to you all! Please don't forget that I love feedback, what you loved, what you hated etc. Also I have used “Eric” instead of “Weiss,” it’s a personal choice and also cause the poor guy never gets called it!! LOL

And here we go.

Syd POV

“Lauren and I are separating. When we get home, I’m on Weiss’ couch.”

I had waited so long to hear him say that, but now that Vaughn had, I was unsure. Where would we go from here? Would Vaughn and I go back to the way we were before two years of my life had been stolen? All I could do was ask him if it was what he really wanted. I had held my breath as I waited for his answer. Hearing Vaughn say the words “it is” with such a certainty in his eyes that I hadn’t seen for years was comforting. It was as though, perhaps, we could move past Lauren.

But it scared me, too. What if things didn’t work out, and Vaughn and I reach an impasse? A point that we couldn’t move past, stuck being nothing, not lovers but not friends either.

Eric had been giving me looks all afternoon as though he had anticipated this whole thing and it had just been a matter of time before Vaughn was sleeping on his couch. I smiled at Eric, standing up from my desk and moving over to his to put him out of his misery. Eric stood up and guided me over to the “flirting corner,” grinning broadly; he had already guessed what I was going to say.

“So are you two working it out? Are you taking advantage of this golden opportunity to work through the war zone you two call a relationship?”

I gave Eric a stern look at his statement about Vaughn and my relationship being likened to a “war zone,” but I couldn’t help smiling at his enthusiasm. From what I had heard from Vaughn, Eric had always had a vested interest in Vaughn’s relationships, Vaughn and I in particular.

“We haven’t really spoken too much, at least not since he told me that he and Lauren are separating.” I smiled at Eric’s exasperated sigh.

“Don’t worry, I’ll talk to him,” Eric assured me. “Trust me. I can convince him to do just about anything. You two will work this out.”

I nodded my head, hoping that his words were true. “Yeah, we’ll work it out,” I replied.

God, I hope we do, I thought to myself as Eric walked away.

I really hope we do.

Vaughn POV

I tried to gauge a reaction from the look in her eyes. When I had finally found the time to tell her that Lauren and I were separating, Sydney hadn’t really said much except to ask if it was what I really wanted. It was; I had just taken a while to realize it.

Ever since Sydney had come back, I had been trying to convince myself that Lauren and I could be happy, that my marriage was working, but with Lauren being away for the NSC and me working at the CIA on top of that, we barely saw each other except at work, and that wasn’t really the best place for us to, well, act married. Especially because if we did, I would receive death looks from Jack, exasperated looks from Eric, and Sydney, well, she didn’t really look at me at all. She tried to avoid making eye contact with me whenever Lauren and I were together. I didn’t want to feel as though my marriage was something I had to justify, but when I looked at Sydney, I felt as though I should, and when that feeling came over me, I realized I was unhappy. If I felt that I had to justify my marriage to my ex, then things just weren’t working. Lauren and I weren’t working, and realizing that made me feel better than I had in a long time.

Eric interrupted my thoughts. “Come on, you’re buying me coffee,” he stated and waited for me to follow. As we waited at the elevators, I looked at Eric, trying to figure out the reason for this impromptu coffee trip.

“There’s coffee over there,” I said, gesturing to the coffee machine.

Eric smiled at me blandly. “Yes, brewed from the world’s finest motor oil.”

I smiled. “Yeah, it does taste pretty awful.”

The elevator doors opened, and we rode down in silence, which left me wondering if this whole trip was going to be one of silence.

Eric and I got to the coffee place. It wasn’t very busy so we were served quickly. Eric continued to stay silent as we chose a table towards the back of the shop. This was starting to worry me, as Eric was never one to be silent for long periods of time.

“You’d better work this out with her or I’m going to get very angry with you, and my couch will not be available to you.”

I looked at Eric. He looked at me, his dark eyes serious.

“I mean it, Mike. Don’t wait. If you aren’t going to talk to Syd, then why are you separating from Lauren?”

I took a breath. “I’m not leaving Lauren to get with Syd. I’m leaving Lauren because I am unhappy with her. Syd doesn’t come into it.”

Eric raised his eyebrows and gave a snort of laughter. “Who are you kidding? Sydney Bristow has everything to do with this, and you know it, Mike. Just talk to her, all right? Otherwise, your relationship with Lauren won’t be the only one ending.”

I nodded. “I get your point, Eric.”

“Good.”

I took a sip of my coffee and looked out the window. When we got back to the office, I would go and find Syd and talk to her. I wanted this to work. I really did.

yes! good! hopefully this doesn't have the same evil ending as the real alias ep did w/ him going back to lauren.
and i have to say that i'm a bit worried about this
but PM me when you update -- can't wait to see where you're taking this!

Well for sydandvaughnforever and vaughnscutie, im not going to give the game away, but don't worry too much! Thanks to everyone who reviewed , yes i will make a PM list. For those who want to be on the list just tell me and voila! You'll be on it :D

Oh and vaughnscutie, hmmm evil alias ending, how about an evil Lise ending? But you'll just have to wait and see.

WOW! please do continue, I just wish JJ added this scene :smiley:

Please include me in your PM list.

Thanks and eagerly waiting for more !

Here is the PM list:Spiller,spying eye, Noemi, Sarahmanana, sydnadvaughnforever, vaughnscutie, ashqua, allenegirl, Alias Fan Gillian.

If i have missed anyone, i apologise, just tell me if you want a PM cos updating very soon :D

Lise

When Love is Not Enough- Part 2

Rating: PG- for now
Note: this fic is mid "Frame" AU
Thanks: To "B" for reading this through and all your little red comments, To Doona for the "push" LOL, for the comments that make my day. To yumytaffy, i love you hun, without you this would be, god! i don't want to think about it. THANK YOU!! To Kat, who i forgot to thank the first time, for everything, your help, your time and for getting me on this path. I thank all of you guys *HUGS*

Here we go

Vaughn POV

Eric and I stepped out of elevator, and with a nod to me, he headed off to some other part of the office, leaving me to go and find Sydney. I set off to do just that, walking purposefully to her desk, my head down, rehearsing a speech that was sorely lacking of a point. Halfway there, I decided perhaps Sydney had better speak first.

But I never made it to see Sydney.

I looked up just in time to smack into Jack. I braced my self for the berating speech that I knew would eventually come and end with Jack making his time-honored point that I had never been good enough for his daughter, but the speech never came. I looked up questioningly.

“Dixon’s office. Now.”

The puzzled look on my face gave Jack a reason to repeat the word “now,” but this time, it was louder. This managed to draw the attention of about half the agents in the office. Some smirked; I had managed to irritate Jack Bristow again though it had become my personal belief that I actually irritated the man just by breathing.

I made my way to the office. Stepping through the door, I was greeted by a haggard-looking Dixon seated behind his desk. I was about to close the door, only to find that Jack was right behind me.

I muttered something that resembled an apology. Instead of facing Jack’s wrath yet again, he just moved past me and took a seat on the other side of Dixon’s desk.

Dixon motioned to a seat, and I warily sat down. This did not look good even by my standards.

Dixon cleared his throat and looked pointedly at Jack, making a motion with his head as though encouraging him to say something.

I looked at Jack, but for the one and only time in my whole life, he didn’t meet my gaze. I looked to Dixon, and he also seemed incapable of looking at me. I was growing tired of this. I had finally thought of at least one good sentence for my speech to Sydney. If they were going to waste my time, then I was going to go find her.

“I’m leaving,” I stated, standing up. “If you can’t tell me what’s going on, I’m not staying. I have work to do.”

“Sit, Vaughn,” Dixon ordered. “Jack has something to tell you.”

Jack raised his eyebrows at this but managed a glare in my direction when I failed to sit back down.

I moved back to the seat and lowered myself into it.

“Vaughn, we have proof of who the mole is. We have received intel; we have also done some research of our own, and it all points to the same person.”

I looked at Dixon. He nodded as though the reason I had looked to him was for conformation on this. That was definitely not the reason.

“Are you authorized to tell me this?” I paused to look at Jack. “The only reason you would be telling me this is if the mole is someone I’m close to. That’s a nice little list of three people in this office: Sydney, Weiss, and Lauren.”

Realization suddenly dawned on me. There was no way on earth the mole was Sydney or Eric, and that left only one person on my list. I pushed myself out of my seat.

“You have got to be kidding me! My wife is not the mole. No way. I would definitely have known! I would have known!”

The horror was evident on my face. Now I knew why Jack had been not his usual self. He was the only one who knew what it was like to be betrayed by his wife. He knew.

I turned to Jack, advancing on him like some mad man, hoping that I was wrong, that Jack was just trying to make my life worse.

“I know you never liked Lauren, and you despised me virtually from the moment you saw me. You never forgave me for what I did to Sydney. This is low, Jack, even for you. I would I have known. I would have seen it. Lauren is not the mole!”

“Sit down, Vaughn. Jack is not making this up. Please sit down.”

Dixon sounded worried, and Jack even looked slightly upset.

“I know what you think. That you would have known, that you would have seen it. Something suspicious. I used to say that to myself after I found out. That there was no way a man like me, who makes a living seeing the deception in people, people I hardly know, could have been deceived. That I would at least see it in someone I knew so well, someone I trusted, someone like my wife.”

Jack looked at me. I looked away. I tried looking at the ceiling, but I couldn’t stop replaying every moment with Lauren that I could remember, hoping to find some detail that would prove this wrong.

“I have to go.”

I stood up, and this time, neither of them stopped me.

When Love is Not Enough- Parts 3 and 4
Rating: PG 13
Thankyou: Thank you to yumytaffy- without you I could not do this- thank you for your editing, your formatting and your little comments. Thank you to Kat for getting me on this bumpy road- I miss you. To "B" for putting up with me always being on the computer- Im not an alias writer extraordinaire, im just me
To Doona for your "push", for your beautiful reviews and for letting me be your adoring fan LOL
And finally to everyone who reviewed and/or asked for a PM. Thank you.

Here we go.

Syd POV

I had gone outside for some fresh air after talking to Eric. I was trying to formulate some sort of speech to say to Vaughn.

It wasn’t really working.

My efforts at trying to not make myself sound too hopeful at Lauren and Vaughn’s separation were failing miserably, so with a loud sigh, I gave up.

“What is it?”

I turned around with a start.

“Vaughn, I didn’t, ah, see you there.”

He smiled. “I know.” He looked pleased with himself at finally catching me off guard, but the smile faded quickly as he returned to his question. “What’s wrong?”

At the concern in his eyes, any fragments of my halfhearted attempt at a speech disappeared.

“You know, nothing.”

Vaughn raised an eyebrow. “I know this is confusing, but we need to talk, and I had tried rehearsing a speech for you that would help make sense of this craziness I call a life, but—”

He stopped probably because of the bemused look on my face.

“You’re babbling,” I informed him with a smile.

Vaughn nodded, laughing to himself. “I just don’t know what to say,” he said simply.

“Me neither.”

“We’re going to work this out, Syd. Lauren and I are over; I will not go back to her ever. She is not—”

He stopped. I looked over at him as he bowed his head.

“She is not…” he repeated.

“I know.”

He smiled slightly.

“The love of my life,” he finished.

I looked at him, but that was a mistake.

He looked at me, and I realized how much I missed this man, the person who had been the one constant in my life. I had tried to forget him; I had tried to stay away and respect his marriage with Lauren, somehow convincing myself that I was over him, but I never was.

I couldn’t turn and walk away, not like that. I wasn’t going to give Vaughn up that easily, and now I didn’t have to.

Vaughn leaned closer to me, and suddenly, I didn’t really care if he was married or if half the CIA was watching. My will wasn’t as strong on this particular matter as it used to be.

Suddenly, Vaughn pulled back.

“S***, my pager,” he explained

I nodded. Things like this usually happened.

Vaughn looked back up at me. “You ok?”

“Yeah.”

Just trying to think of some way to destroy every pager known to man, I added silently.

Vaughn looked as though he was having similar thoughts. He was holding his pager very tightly in his left hand. His knuckles were white, and it looked as though he was trying to crush it.

“You okay?” I asked.

“Yeah.” Vaughn nodded

“So the way your knuckles have gone all white is completely normal for you?”

Vaughn looked down at his hand quickly.

“Oh, yeah. Well, maybe not,” he laughed. Waggling the pager, he said, “I’ve got to go. You know, duty calls.”

“I’ll see you later then,” I said as Vaughn walked away.

He stopped, turning around and walking back to me.

“Syd you will see me later. This isn’t over. You and I are going to work this out even if we have to talk until we are blue in the face and we hate the sound of each other’s voices. You and I are going to work this out. I promise.”

He didn’t really need the speech; I was convinced just by the look on his face.

“Okay,” I agreed. “Now go. Duty is calling, remember?”

He headed off, turning only once to smile at me.

“‘Oh we’re so going to work this out,” I said to myself.

I headed back to the office, and I just couldn’t stop smiling.

Vaughn POV

“What?!”

Dixon and Jack looked up as I entered Dixon’s office. Jack raised an eyebrow at my exclamation.

“I’m sorry, Mr. Vaughn. Did we disturb you from something?” Jack asked.

I think in some clairvoyant way, he knew I had been with his daughter. Jack tipped his head, waiting for an answer, but he didn’t get one as Dixon motioned for me to take a seat.

“In your absence, Vaughn, we received something you might want to hear.”

Dixon hit a button on his computer, and suddenly, a woman’s voice filled the room. I knew that voice; I had heard it just about every day for over year.

Lauren continued speaking, and then a male voice joined in. I also knew that voice, the one with the irritating British accent.

“Sark and Lauren.” I sighed. Not only had Lauren betrayed me, she had betrayed me with Sark.

I couldn’t look at either Dixon or Jack. “Who gave this to you?”

“That’s not really important,” Jack replied.

“Yeah, it is. Tell me.”

I was startled to hear a voice behind me.

“It was me, Michael.”

“Eric!”

“Yeah, it was me. I’m sorry.”

It seemed that Jack wasn’t the only one in this office who was suspicious of Lauren.

“Well, okay, now what? Do we arrest her or…?”

I didn’t really know what was I after, but I couldn’t form proper thoughts.

“No,” Jack said.

Dixon took over at this point. “After we received the recording from Weiss, we spoke to my superiors, Vaughn, and they have, well, come to a decision.” He paused, looking over at Jack.

From the look on each of their faces, it seemed as though there had obviously been a disagreement about this decision.

“You have to maintain your marriage with Lauren Reed,” Jack said, looking at me. “You must carry on as normal. You must not give Lauren any thing to become suspicious of. That includes spending large amounts of time with Sydney.”

Dixon looked at Jack. “I had hoped the because of Jack’s identification with this sort of situation that he would have been more supportive of my view on the matter.”

“My view is what is best for this Agency,” Jack stated, “not what is best for Vaughn.”

“How sweet of you, Jack,” I replied.

Jack looked a little shocked at my sarcasm, but I was feeling reckless. These people were giving orders to go back on everything I had just said to Sydney and stay in a marriage with a woman who had not only betrayed her country, but who had also betrayed me.

“No, I will not,” I stated firmly. “I have a promise to keep, and staying with Lauren doesn’t come into it. My view is what is best for me, not the agency. I will not stay with a woman who betrayed me.”

“I’m afraid you’re going to have to,” Dixon said softly.

I looked between Jack, Dixon and Eric. “No, you can’t do this. Syd…”

Jack looked up sharply as I mentioned her name.

“You have no choice in the matter. We have to get more information before we can arrest her, and if you want to go back to my daughter, then you had better make sure that your wife is out of the picture.” Jack’s cold tone was tinged with something I couldn’t quite place. “You will not hurt her again.”

Everyone in Dixon’s office knew who “her” was. Jack’s tone had been tinged with something that used to creep into my voice at times: worry for Sydney.

“If you make me stay with Lauren, then I will.”

Eric smiled at this. In spite of the circumstances, he was happy that Sydney and I were finally working it out.

“You need to go and see Marshall,” Jack stated. “He will give you everything you need to tap her phones and just generally keep an eye on her.”

I looked to Dixon.

“This is out of my hands, Vaughn,” he answered. “This Agency’s priority is to bring down the Covenant. I’m sorry.”

I stood up. Moving towards the door, I couldn’t speak I was so angry, but Jack’s next statement drove the knife home.

“One more thing. You can’t tell Sydney any of this; she can’t know.”

Whoa!!!!! NO! He has to tell Sydney!!! I love this story!!!! Would you please send me a PM? Thanks!!!! It is AWESOME so far! Please update soon! *xoxo*em*

Back