Dismiss Notice
Alien Soup is a free community for fans of science-fiction, horror, & fantasy! Everybody is welcome here.

Horror World War Z

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Tom, Feb 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Tom

Tom An Old Friend

[​IMG]

2. Kevin

Kevin Code Monkey Staff Abductee

Interesting take on the genre. Did you catch if they explain what created the zombies or if it just picks up the story as though zombies have always been around?

3. Tom

Tom An Old Friend

no, haven't heard any backstory yet.

4. painkiller64

painkiller64 Avoid A Void

i think this will be a refreshing new take on the zombie movie craze of the past few years.

5. GavalinB

GavalinB Cadet

I thought as I read the book that it would make an outstanding movie, done right. Might be better as one of those Sci-Fi miniseries, though. We'll see!

6. Alien Soup

Alien Soup Head Chef

The official trailer for World War Z, based on the 2006 book by Max Brooks and starring Brad Pitt, has been released.

A U.N. employee is racing against time and fate, as he travels the world trying to stop the outbreak of a deadly Zombie pandemic.​

A June 21, 2013 release date is tentatively planned by Paramount Pictures. The official site for the movie is http://www.worldwarzmovie.com.

7. ultraviolet

ultraviolet Stealth Assassin

from the trailer this does look like big-budget fun, although not sure if its worth a evening at the cinema

8. Webster

Webster The Red Tarheel

Judging by the trailer, it looks to be a pretty decent film...and with the success of The Walking Dead as a backstop, I wouldn't be surprised if it does well raking in the dollars. :cool:

Then again, with Brad Pitt as the lead, the odds are pretty good people will go to see it for that reason, nevermind the movie itself.... :eek::eek:

9. Kevin

... and you've just described how I ended up seeing Seven Years in Tibet with Mrs. Kevin. It felt like seven years sitting in that movie theater. :banghead:

10. The Master

The Master Zombie killer

I don't think it actually looks that good, to be honest, but then again, there weren't many clips of the actual zombies shown.

11. Kevin

I think it is going to turn out doing pretty well at the box office because you'll have people who wouldn't normally see it going for Brad Pitt but the die-hard zombie fans will have issues with it.

The movie is based on the book of the same name by Max Brooks. While the general synopsis is the same, a UN employee (Brad Pitt) traveling the world fighting the zombie outbreak, the movie differs in that it is an action movie based on Pitt's character versus the book which was a collection of first-hand accounts of fighting the zombies that were collected by the employee for his UN report. The speed of the zombies is also changed drastically with the trailer showing them moving fast in swarms versus the book which had them slow moving (because they were based on Brooks' earlier book, The Zombie Survival Guide).

12. Webster

Webster The Red Tarheel

*reading Kevin's comment...*
    Like I said earlier, there's probably going to be a ton of people who'll go to see it just for that reason...:eek::eek:

Sorta' reminds me of what happened with the re-make of The Andromeda Strain a few years back; they took one of the best films of the past few decades and tried to re-image it for today's audiences....for what it's worth, it wasn't the worst thing Hollywood ever produced(Starship Troopers anyone?) but it definitely reminded me of why the original film was so much better...let's hope Hollywood doesn't screw WWZ up as well....:eek::eek::eek:

13. Viktor Kuprin

Viktor Kuprin Spaced Cadet Writer

The trailer shows the classic mistake of bad CGI: objects moving way, way too fast. Notice that you can't see details of the zombies when they're piling up? It's a cost-saving measure: reduce the frame detail, less rendering, less computer time, less detail, use quick motion, but then it becomes too quick.

Example: the old original Anaconda movie, where a snake the size of a bus moved at hyperspeed. Completely unrealistic and completely unbelievable. I'm afraid the makers of WWZ have made the same mistake. CGI can be well done. Look at The Avengers. With the exception of a not-so-good scene of Captain American making a leap on the SHIELD carrier that looked like something from a bad Hanna-Barbera cartoon, it was done well.

I don't know that the casting will make WWZ an instant success, either. Pitt isn't the sure thing he was a few years ago. I might bet that WWZ may go the way of John Carter: big budget bomb at boxoffice.

14. Kaiser Soze

Kaiser Soze Scout

First impressions: Big budget, epic effects, banal zombie pandemic. I am sick of zombies.

15. Kevin

Sick of zombies just in regards to World War Z or the whole zombies in pop culture fad as of late?

16. Kevin

In the current issue of Entertainment Weekly Brad Pitt gives an explanation as to why they changed the movies from the book to be fast moving instead of the traditional slow walkers.

So they wanted to "base all of this on science" but he then turns around says they did it "to do it differently" as the reason? :unsure: Guess it just happens to be a coincidence that their plan to " do it differently" helps with the fast pace of an action movie with a high profile star.

17. Jethro

Jethro Moderator Staff Abductee

The movie has been plagued with issues and has been put back quite a bit as they needed to re-shoot a whole bunch of scenes. Loved Brooks' book but think the movie looks real dumb. Pitt might think it looks more dynamic, I think it looks like a complete load of rubbish, zombies moving like ants, wtf!?!

The dark genre is having a real bad year at the box office, at least here in the colonies, just maybe this one will give it a healthy return, though I'm not convinced we're looking at a blockbuster. Horror, besides a few surprises, has never been a box office dynamo a the best of times.

18. Kevin

What any of you guys/gals pay $50 USD to see World War Z early?
    (Details: http://awalkerbit.me/threads/world-war-z.43/#post-4943)

Cliff Notes is that for $50 USD per person you get to see the movie 2 days earlier than the national release, you get a poster, a small popcorn, a pair of Real 3D glasses to watch the movie with, and a digital copy at some point in the future when it becomes available.

To put it simply: No, no I would not. :coffee:

19. Jethro

Jethro Moderator Staff Abductee

But Kevin you get a "small popcorn" :ROFLMAO: That just seems counter productive, we'll give you all this stuff but to hell with it you're buying your own coke and don't be thinking medium sized popcorn! (Actually catching the movie on Saturday).

20. Ascendria

Ascendria Ensign

Like the movie a lot but still I'm divided on the issue that zombie is strong but slow. So when in the movie they start runnin and jumping better than a pro athlete... Man, I'm scared. :notworthy: