2005 Primetime Emmys

Here's my question.

The Golden Globes honor the best show on TV (Nip/Tuck) with a win for Best Drama, and the Emmys completely ignore it?

What's even more weird was that Rescue Me (another great show on FX), which isn't as popular as Nip/Tuck, was nominated for 2 important awards?

It just seems that if they gave the nod to Rescue Me, they'd do the same for Nip/Tuck.

After all, there wasn't a higher-rated episode on cable in 2004 than the season 2 finale of Nip/Tuck, which is one of the very best episodes I've seen.

So sure, Lost winning was nice, but they fail to represent everything that's good on TV from the networks, cable and the premium channels (HBO and Showtime).

Everybody Loves Raymond being set up to win the last award, the Best Comedy show award which obviously shouldn't have been the last award, is just the typical B.S. that you see at award shows like the Emmys. The sentimental favorite.

Whatever happened to just honoring the show that is actually the best at its category?

Shatner over Terry O'Quinn was also ridiculous.

The only positive was to see The Daily Show being honored again with 2 wins. WTF was Jon Stewart saying about Letterman though?? Since when is Letterman someone that comedians look up to the way people looked up to Carson?

I can't believe I sat through most of this snore fest though... I was changing channels all night with my laptop by my side. And Johny Carson's ass could not have been kissed more.

^Mr. Carson was very important to many, many individuals in the entertainment profession. Not only that, he was loved by millions who watched The Tonight Show every night. That is why he was honored.

I hate to say it but I'm actually not as...mad as I usually am that Jenn was shut out for the fourth year in a row as the Emmy's. Back in...what was it...July? When the nominations came out Jenn being nominated was no surprise, but Patricia Arquette from another one of my favorite shows "Medium" was a surprise. I told myself back then I wasn't going to be mad if Patricia won and Jenn didn't. I didn't...however I was shocked she won...everyone was saying Glenn Close was a shoe in but all I can say is I'm sure happy she wasn't. I would have been kind of annoyed if she had won..

As for the rest of the awards, I was dissapointed by Lead Actor being won by James Spader, Hugh Laurie SOOOO deserved it. I was a little taken back by Lead Actress in a Comedy for Felicity Huffman, I was sort of hoping it would have been Teri. Lost winning Drama was of course the highlight of the night for me, I was so uberly excited its not even funny. Lastly, Desperate Housewives not winning for Best Comedy kind of annoyed me. I mean sure, I'm not a fan of Everybody Loves Raymond my ANY MEANS, infact I boarderline detest the series, but Desperate Housewives was hands down the best show out of all those nominated for Best Comedy and should have won...

Oh well...there's always next year...

ivand67 said:
Here's my question.

The Golden Globes honor the best show on TV (Nip/Tuck) with a win for Best Drama, and the Emmys completely ignore it?

What's even more weird was that Rescue Me (another great show on FX), which isn't as popular as Nip/Tuck, was nominated for 2 important awards?

It just seems that if they gave the nod to Rescue Me, they'd do the same for Nip/Tuck.

After all, there wasn't a higher-rated episode on cable in 2004 than the season 2 finale of Nip/Tuck, which is one of the very best episodes I've seen.

So sure, Lost winning was nice, but they fail to represent everything that's good on TV from the networks, cable and the premium channels (HBO and Showtime).

Everybody Loves Raymond being set up to win the last award, the Best Comedy show award which obviously shouldn't have been the last award, is just the typical B.S. that you see at award shows like the Emmys. The sentimental favorite.

Whatever happened to just honoring the show that is actually the best at its category?

Shatner over Terry O'Quinn was also ridiculous.

The only positive was to see The Daily Show being honored again with 2 wins. WTF was Jon Stewart saying about Letterman though?? Since when is Letterman someone that comedians look up to the way people looked up to Carson?

I can't believe I sat through most of this snore fest though... I was changing channels all night with my laptop by my side. And Johny Carson's ass could not have been kissed more.
[post="1494611"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I agree with a lot of what you said. Not having Nip/Tuck nominated was pure felgercarb. That show is awesome and groundbreaking. But I'm afraid it's probably a little too edgy for the emmys.

I was upset about Everybody Loves Raymond as well. I like the show, and it is consistently funny, but everyone knows that it won because it's their last season. If a show is going off the air, it is almost guarenteed to get an award (if it has decent ratings that is).

And Johnny Carson deserved all the tributes. He was a revolutionary in comedy, especially late night comedy. He paved the way for many of the comedians we see today. Drew Carey, David Letterman, Jay Leno, and Jerry Seinfeld (to name a small few) all got their start after appearing on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. It doesn't have the same impact for our generation, because we weren't able to watch him live. But you can't deny the impact he had on late night comedy.

Though I did feel bad for Jay Leno. He's the one who took over Johnny Carson's show, yet Letterman was the one doing the tribute. I know why that is, but I still felt bad for Jay...because personally I find him a lot more likeable and funnier than Letterman.

Seanman2326 said:
I hate to say it but I'm actually not as...mad as I usually am that Jenn was shut out for the fourth year in a row as the Emmy's. Back in...what was it...July? When the nominations came out Jenn being nominated was no surprise, but Patricia Arquette from another one of my favorite shows "Medium" was a surprise. I told myself back then I wasn't going to be mad if Patricia won and Jenn didn't. I didn't...however I was shocked she won...everyone was saying Glenn Close was a shoe in but all I can say is I'm sure happy she wasn't. I would have been kind of annoyed if she had won..

As for the rest of the awards, I was dissapointed by Lead Actor being won by James Spader, Hugh Laurie SOOOO deserved it. I was a little taken back by Lead Actress in a Comedy for Felicity Huffman, I was sort of hoping it would have been Teri. Lost winning Drama was of course the highlight of the night for me, I was so uberly excited its not even funny. Lastly, Desperate Housewives not winning for Best Comedy kind of annoyed me. I mean sure, I'm not a fan of Everybody Loves Raymond my ANY MEANS, infact I boarderline detest the series, but Desperate Housewives was hands down the best show out of all those nominated for Best Comedy and should have won...

Oh well...there's always next year...
[post="1494736"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Ahh...Glenn Close is awesome! I just absolutely loved her on The Shield. It was nice to have a good female character on there (besides CCH Pounder of course...she also should've won).

I agree about James Spader...that was idiotic...I personally wanted Keifer though, not a fan of House at all.

As for lead actress in a comedy, Teri Hatcher, in my opinion isn't the funniest one on that show. In fact, I'd say she's probably the least funniest. I don't mind her character, but I think the other housewives are definitely funnier. I was thrilled to see Felicity Huffman win...it was well deserved.

And I don't think that Everybody Loves Raymond really should've won best comedy, but I don't think Desperate Housewives should've either. It's a funny show, but I don't know if it belongs in the comedy category with a bunch of half hour sitcoms. It is almost borderline drama, really. And I don't think it was the best show nominated for best comedy. I love Desperate Housewives and am hoplessly addicted. But I have to say that Arrested Development and Scrubs are definitely quite funnier, and better quaility shows. But that's just my opinion. ;)

And just as a side note, from reading through some comments people think that Jen was deserving because of all her years on Alias. That's not how it works (or at least it isn't how it should work). All categories are decided on one episode. You can submit one episode for the panel to look at and determine whether or not you should. It isn't an award based on your performance for an entire season or a number of seasons...it just comes down to own episode.

Seanman2326 said:
...everyone was saying Glenn Close was a shoe in but all I can say is I'm sure happy she wasn't. I would have been kind of annoyed if she had won..
[post="1494736"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Interesting. I only saw the one episode of The Shield this season but decided that I really needed the context to truly appreciate it. Nevertheless, I saw enough to be truly impressed with Ms Close's performance. I certainly would think that an award would not be unwarranted for such a riveting performance. Meanwhile, having seen three or so episodes of The Medium and decided it was not worth my while . . . let's just say Ms Arquette wouldn't have been my choice and leave it at that. Perhaps it's just that I haven't seen the episode she submitted?

Jamison said:
And just as a side note, from reading through some comments people think that Jen was deserving because of all her years on Alias.  That's not how it works (or at least it isn't how it should work).  All categories are decided on one episode.  You can submit one episode for the panel to look at and determine whether or not you should.  It isn't an award based on your performance for an entire season or a number of seasons...it just comes down to own episode.
[post="1494741"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
This is not how it is supposed to work, but (as I mentioned earlier) more factors than those mentioned in the rules usually apply in voting. I understand that the lead actors are allowed to submit 2 episodes, actually. But I also understand that some members don't even bother to look at the episodes (they can vote for a "safe" choice), or they don't bother to vote themselves, leaving it to a secretary or employee (or hanger-on), or they allow friendship or sentiment to sway them . . . etc, etc.
✌️

verdantheart said:
Interesting. I only saw the one episode of The Shield this season but decided that I really needed the context to truly appreciate it. Nevertheless, I saw enough to be truly impressed with Ms Close's performance. I certainly would think that an award would not be unwarranted for such a riveting performance. Meanwhile, having seen three or so episodes of The Medium and decided it was not worth my while . . . let's just say Ms Arquette wouldn't have been my choice and leave it at that. Perhaps it's just that I haven't seen the episode she submitted?

This is not how it is supposed to work, but (as I mentioned earlier) more factors than those mentioned in the rules usually apply in voting. I understand that the lead actors are allowed to submit 2 episodes, actually. But I also understand that some members don't even bother to look at the episodes (they can vote for a "safe" choice), or they don't bother to vote themselves, leaving it to a secretary or employee (or hanger-on), or they allow friendship or sentiment to sway them . . . etc, etc.
✌️
[post="1494879"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Thank you about Glenn Close! :smiley: She did deserve it. I'm a huge Shield fan and have watched it since the very first season and her character was just so well done (and you're right you need to watch more than one episode to really understand what's going on). And I agree about Patricia Arquette...she certainly wouldn't have been my vote.

And actually it seems we were both mistaken on some of the aspects of the Emmy voting process. I had always been under the impression that you could only submit one episode...while that is correct in some cases, it is wrong in others (I had a really hard time finding the rules and regulations of all of this). For a lead actor category you are only allowed to submit one episode to the academy, and in theory they are supposed to base whether or not you deserve that award solely on that one episode. For a supporting actor, however, you are allowed to submit two episodes (I guess this is because, since you are a supporting actor, one episode is probably not enough to get a feel for your acting chops). For the program categories six episodes are submitted.

And it is quite possible that some people don't even cast the vote themselves. Back before they changed the voting rules in 2000, they would have a 2 day marathon of all the shows that were up for awards and then vote after they were done watching. This was problematic because it was usually the older members who had the time to come out and watch them as a big group. In 2000 they changed the voting rules to be able to cater to everyone. The members who have agreed to vote (you don't have to vote if you don't want to) are sent the tapes to their homes and have a few weeks to watch them at their own pace. This to has caused problems with tapes being lost and stolen. And it leaves members to be part of the honor system, because they could cast their ballot without watching any of the episodes. But they feel that will help get edgier shows the awards they deserve.

just so u no ben was with her. i saw jen n i screamed n me n my friend were saying how gorgeous she looked n how big she was n if she won wed see her preggers n in a gown n all n then later it goes to her with ben n i really screamed n iw as going isnane n then it showed them again n they were so cute n looked so good n if she wudve won he prob wudve walked her up...she should have won!!! i was flipping to pearl harbour when emmys were on n ben was with the kid n im like soon hell really be like that with jen....so cute!!

I was not crazy about Jen's emmy dress. Black is not her best color, in my opinion. It's ok, but she looks fabulous in red or white. That blue Versace she wore one year to the Oscars was fantastic on her, the color very flattering with her skintone. But the positive thing I can say about her appearance at this year's Emmys was that her hair was great and she was glowing. From the chin up, she was radiant. :smiley: But I wish she would have won!!!!!!!! :angry:

Jamison said:
For a lead actor category you are only allowed to submit one episode to the academy, and in theory they are supposed to base whether or not you deserve that award solely on that one episode.  For a supporting actor, however, you are allowed to submit two episodes (I guess this is because, since you are a supporting actor, one episode is probably not enough to get a feel for your acting chops).  For the program categories six episodes are submitted.
[post="1494927"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Apparently the reporter that I read had this exactly backwards, then. :lol: The quality of modern reporting and fact-checking again lives up to my current opinion . . . sadly.

Thanks for looking it up. ;)

Back