32 Going on $30 Million

Azalea

Azy in Wonderland
From Entertainment Weekly...

32 Going On $13 Million
Jennifer's garnering praise as the next Julia. The ''13 Going On 30'' star is working her way up to the big leagues by Rebecca Ascher-Walsh

Her TV show is ranked a measly 74th among prime-time network series. Her most momentous big-screen turn has been a supporting role in 2003's mediocre ''Daredevil.'' And she won't even prove whether or not she can carry a starring vehicle on her ripped deltoids until April 23, when the romantic comedy ''13 Going on 30'' opens. But when it comes to Jennifer Garner, the kick-butt star of ABC's ''Alias,'' nobody seems to care. Already, the 32-year-old is mentioned in the same panting breath as box office sweethearts Julia Roberts, Jennifer Aniston, and Reese Witherspoon. While their asking prices (for Roberts and Witherspoon it's in the $15 million range) are far ahead of the nascent star's reported $3 million pay for ''13 Going on 30,'' the comparison is hardly a stretch: Witherspoon, for example, reportedly earned $1 million for 2001's ''Legally Blonde,'' then $5 million for 2002's ''Sweet Home Alabama,'' and $15 mil for ''Blonde 2'' last summer. So what's working so well for Garner -- whose sum is truly greater than her parts?

The sally field syndrome: People like her. Not only is Garner praised by coworkers and press alike, but that aura of likability translates to the screen. Explains ''Alias'' creator J.J. Abrams, ''She's a beautiful girl with an ugly girl's personality.'' We're not sure what that says about beautiful and ugly girls, but we do know that Garner's charm can beat movie-star muscle: Ben Affleck toplined ''Daredevil,'' but Garner walked off with the sequel, ''Elektra,'' which begins filming in May. And, while the tabloids threw ''husband stealing'' at Roberts when she began dating then-married Danny Moder, they treated Garner with kid gloves when she left her husband, actor Scott Foley, amid rumors she was involved with ''Alias'' costar Michael Vartan.

She works it: ''I don't think I've seen anybody as engaged in the process [from beginning to end] since Arnold Schwarzenegger was young,'' marvels Tom Sherak, a partner at Revolution, which produced ''13 Going on 30.'' And unlike most TV stars, Garner strays beyond the Emmys and Golden Globes (which honored her for best actress in 2002) during awards season. She's made it a point to attend the Oscars, giving her prime coverage in fashion, teen, and gossip mags. Stylist-to-the-stars Phillip Bloch says that Garner's perfect poise is ''no mistake.... She's worked with several stylists and dropped them along the way.'' That decision, Bloch says, is paying off: ''She was my second-best dress at [this year's] Oscars. And Garner's a TV star.''

Passion beats popularity: Garner's ''Q'' rating -- or recognizability -- is 33 percent, compared with Julia Roberts' 87 percent. (Have to wonder about the 13 percent who have never heard of Roberts, but that's another story.) Here's the interesting part: 25 percent of those who know Garner say she's their favorite actress, while 35 percent say the same of Roberts. In other words, Garner's fan base is almost as rabid.

She's a range rover: Each week on ''Alias,'' Garner plays an assortment of characters, from superspy Sydney Bristow to a German punk rocker and a high-society partygoer. It's a flexibility that has earned her a unique reputation as an actress who can deliver both punches and punchlines. Although ''Alias'' provides Garner with a small platform to vamp -- it consistently ranks third in its time slot, with 8.2 million viewers -- the series' low viewership could actually help her as she transitions to film. As Ron West, partner of the management firm Thruline Entertainment, speculates, moviegoers have no preconceived notions about what to expect of her.

Hollywood's desperate: At the ripe old age of...36, Julia's hangin' with her hubby in New Mexico. Reese is younger (28) and can do charming, but a leatherette catsuit? Not so much. And Jennifer A., well, one woman can only do so much. Which leaves Garner with the pick of the litter. Says a production exec, ''People really want her to be a big name. Garner fills a niche. Or, perhaps more accurately, everyone hopes she [does], because it's turning into a wide, gaping hole.''

i thougt they were being mean lolness, me and my take on things, i read the rest and it turns out nice.... QUESTION though, you know the whole 3$ million for the movie and RW got like 15$ million for legally blonde 2 is that pointing out that JG is getting ripped off? JUST ASKING? happy bday any ways JG 🎂

alias_freak69 said:
i thougt they were being mean lolness, me and my take on things, i read the rest and it turns out nice.... QUESTION though, you know the whole 3$ million for the movie and RW got like 15$ million for legally blonde 2 is that pointing out that JG is getting ripped off? JUST ASKING? happy bday any ways JG 🎂
She started off with only 1 million for Legally Blond and worked her way up to 15 million...maybe the same will happen with Jen

VaughnFan13 said:
alias_freak69 said:
She started off with only 1 million for Legally Blond and worked her way up to 15 million...maybe the same will happen with Jen
that's what i think too! i mean jen starts with $3M. next time there will be another break like maybe if elektra spins off really big, then a sequel will probably follow, which means jen will get at least equal to or closer to the amount of what reese got for the legally blond 2. jen is so humble tho, i don't think she'd mind getting $3M for the 13 going 30. she's always been open about any projects that come her way and how she's grateful for all the blessings she's receiving now considering how she struggled for auditions before getting the lead charac in Alias. :smiley:

It's funny but the pay always seems behind the curve. JG might get 3 mil. for 13-30 and it makes 100 mil. The next movie might bomb (it could happen... like if she had done "Happy Endings") and she makes 15 mil. In this case I guess her next released movie has to be "Elektra". Considering "Tomb Raider" is probably has a good shot to be successful. Since she inked the deal before any notion of how 13-30 would be received or how bankable she would be, I'd be very curious to know what she's getting for it. Maybe a percentage of gross.

One thing's for sure, Alias isn't doing her any favors by constantly proving how well she can cry on camera. The girl's got an acting range and it's not being used very well in the 3rd season. She's got to be inwardly frustrated. If she's roped to Alias for another four years she's probably going to miss a bunch of opportunities... like doing the musicals or stage work she said she wants to try. I can't see her hanging on to Alias until she's 36 and packing as many roles in as she can before she hits 40. Then, if she wants to have kids... Alias just ties her choices and potential down for too long. She isn't going to admit that though.

She is better then Reese and Roberts any day of the week!!! I hope she gets more then either of them!!

She can and wont do anything worng in my eyes!

I just saw the movie and(I wish she had a percentage in the movie take) let me say: I WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED!!! I loved it!! Can't wait to buy it. I love the ending....BEAUTIFUL!

She is truly a lovely person

Gosh, I wanna to see it again........

alias_freak69 said:
tis disapointed that it doesnt come ut till september 16th in aussie :( *storms outs*

oocc: notasydandvaughnfananymore lol i like the name, and WHY?
Thanks alias_freak69 !!! :D

OTWhy I chose that screen name? Well...first season Vaughn WAS sexy; second season Vaughn WAS sexy AND strong; this season...Vaughn is WISHIE WASHIE/ WUSSY!!! And I don't think Syd need that kind of man, do you??? AND I HATE TRIANGLES!!

I have seen my favourite shows (Roswell, Witchblade) go south due to the fact that "they" decide to bring in new elements :angry: such as: triangles--Roswell, new female (most of the time it's female) Invisible man, Witchblade, and other such devices that eventually bring the show down! I hope Alias will right it self soon. :(

Back