A Fine Line

The best proposition you've were written! You cracked me up, the guy insulted Sydney while he was asking her to marry him and spend the rest of her life with him?
How crazy is that? :lol:

Michael bought the ring, got Jack's approval, found the perfect ballet for Sydney and proposed. I'd say Michael was having the perfect day.

Now I'm betting, they'll have a happy marriage, he'll be a Broadway Star and Sydney will be a Prima Ballerina.

Chris

You keep coming up with the best proposals.

Whenever you get your own proposal you will probably be underwhelmed.
No guy could ever come up with all those great proposals.

Whenever you get your own proposal you will probably be underwhelmed.
No guy could ever come up with all those great proposals.
:rotflmao: so what you're really saying is i've set myself up for a lifetime of disapointment :lol:
no, i know they're unrealistic ;)

Chapter 22
“Oh my god,” Sydney sighed as she examined the ring that was on her left ring finger. “Is this a garnet? I love garnets.”

“It is indeed a garnet,” Michael smiled at her.

Sydney leaned over and kissed him sweetly. “I love it and you,” she sighed. Then, she lowered her head back down to his chest and they lay in bed in silence for a few minutes before Sydney added, “And I’m really glad I didn’t have to dye my hair green…”

“What?!” Michael laughed.

“Oh, well, back when I hated you… I told Cooper that if I ever loved you I’d dye my hair green and he bet me that I really loved you but I was just pretending not to – which he was right – but anyway, he bet that I’d have to dye my hair green if I really loved you, but luckily he forgot about it,” she explained.

“Maybe I should remind him…”

“You wouldn’t!” Sydney gasped.

“Well you’d look hysterical with green hair,” he laughed. Sydney gave him an evil look. “You would!”

“Uh huh,” she said slowly. “You’re so mean to me… I really shouldn’t marry you.”

“Too late now; can’t take back your yes,” he told her seriously.

“Fine I’ll just have to suffer,” she said in a disgusted tone. “OH! I should call my father… hmm it’s a little late I’ll tell him tomorrow.”

“He already knows,” Michael said causally. Sydney lifted her head and looked at him in shock. “Well, I went out there this afternoon to ask for permission and-”

“You did not!” Sydney laughed. Michael nodded. “Oh no you poor thing! Did he tell you not to marry me and then give his ‘actors are worthless’ speech?”

“No, actually he didn’t… well, he did say acting was a bad profession, but he said that since I make you so happy it was okay that I marry you,” Michael told her.

“Aw that’s so sweet,” Sydney giggled. Then, she kissed Michael. “I’m glad my dad didn’t kill you.”

“Me too,” Michael said seriously.

~*~

Due to the engagement excitement, both Michael and Sydney forgot about the Cinderella auditions for the two weeks following Michael’s proposal. Michael only remembered the audition when he came across the flyer when cleaning one afternoon. After finding it, he began encouraging Sydney once more to go out for the audition, using the it’s just an audition argument, no harm could come of it. Sydney continued to refuse until she became so fed up by Michael’s persistence that she agreed to go just to get him to shut up. Her condition to her attending the audition, though, was that Michael attended with her and auditioned as well. Michael agreed and they rearranged their schedules so they’d be free for the Saturday morning audition.

“Gooood I’m so nervous,” Sydney groaned as they walked into the theater where the auditions were taking place. “Do I look nervous?”

“Yes,” Michael told her matter-of-factly. She gave him a slightly wary look. “Syd, you’re gonna rock it, seriously, don’t worry,” he said, giving her a quick kiss on the forehead.

All the actors in the theaters audience seats and, one by one, they each went on stage and sung a song of their choice. This was the first stage of the audition. Not surprisingly, both Michael and Sydney made it though to the next stage. The surprising part was, though, that not very many people made it through; only twelve people besides Sydney and Michael made the cut.

The second stage of the audition involved being paired up with a person of the opposite gender for the dance portion. The casting director began pairing off the audition without any regard to who they were accompanied by. When Sydney was paired with someone other than Michael, she stopped the woman and asked that she switch pairs, since he was the only reason she was there. The casting director agreed and they all took the stage.

Once again, Sydney and Michael made the cut, but after that, there were only six couples remaining. The third phase of the audition was up to the actors, but it needed to involve singing and dancing. “Okay, okay I got it – have you ever seen the musical version of Cinderella?” Sydney asked Michael.

“Uhh yeah that newer one with that chick… Brandy,” he told her.

Sydney rolled her eyes slightly but said, “That’ll do. Okay, you know the part where Cinderella goes into the ball for the first time and she dances with the prince and they sing Ten Minutes Ago?”

“Vaguely…,” he said slowly.

She smacked his arm. “Well remember because that’s what we’re doing!” she insisted. Knowing that Michael’s dancing strength was ballroom dancing, she was putting that to use for the audition. When she agreed to come, she had been lackluster about the entire situation. However, upon arriving and seeing the competition, her competitive nature took over and she felt the need to take every step possible to ensure that the part was hers.

When it was their turn, Sydney and Michael took the stage and did a surprisingly good rendition of Ten Minutes Ago considering the fact that they’d never practiced it once. After their dance was over, the casting director pulled them aside to meet with the team of people who would be deciding the final casting for the musical. Apparently, an interview was the fourth stage of the audition.

“So, tell me a bit about yourself – things that are not on your resume, like about your personal life,” one woman asked Sydney.

“Well, I, um I’m engaged,” she began, not knowing exactly what to say.

“Oh really? What does your fiancé do?” the woman asked sounding interested.

“Well,” Sydney laughed with a slight sideways glance towards Michael. “He’s…auditioning for Cinderella….”

“OH!” The woman laughed, looking between Sydney and Michael. “How nice.”

“But don’t worry, I mean, we don’t let our personal life or personal issues get in the way of our performance on the stage,” Sydney told her quickly. Michael gave a suspicious coughing noise and Sydney elbowed him sharply in the ribs. “We won’t let our personal lives get in the way,” she corrected.

“You’ve worked together before?”

“Yes,” Sydney and Michael said in unison. Then, they went on to briefly explain their roles in On Pointe. The woman they’d been conversing with seemed very taken by the idea that they’d met on the set, fallen in love, and were engaged to be married. So much so, in fact, that she halted the auditions to say that Sydney and Michael were the two actors she wanted for Cinderella and Prince Charming. Apparently, it was her money that was backing the revival of the musical, so she had the final say.

After thanking her profusely, Sydney and Michael turned to each other and hugged. “Oh my god I can’t believe this!” Sydney laughed.

“I know,” Michael said, kissing her cheek. “You’re Cinderella!”

“I know,” she said somewhat tearfully.

“Your mom would be so proud of you,” he told her sincerely.

This caused a tear to slip down her cheek. “Thank you,” she said before kissing him. “I love you.”

“Yeah I love you too lazy ass,” he told her with a grin. Sydney laughed loudly and shoved his chest lightly.

“Terrible,” she muttered.

He grinned, “I know.”

Epilogue
“….and introducing the stars of our show – Sydney Vaughn and Michael Vaughn. This will be the Vaughns’ last performance in the show so let’s give them an extra warm round of applause,” the announcer called over the theater’s speaker system.

Hand in hand, Sydney and Michael walked out onto the stage and bowed graciously to the crowd giving them a standing ovation. For the previous five months, they performed their roles in Cinderella almost daily. They were stepping down to give other actors a chance to play their parts in the musical, which had been an immediate success.

Only a few days before the show opened, Sydney and Michael had been married, making them an irresistible marketing tool for the revival of Cinderella. Posters and billboards were hung all over the city advertising the musical with the spectacular husband and wife team. This advertising combined with Sydney’s and Michael’s talent resulted in the show being sold out almost every night of its four month run.

As they were bowing, a stagehand brought out two bouquets of flowers and handed one to Michael and the other to a very tearful Sydney. Noticing that she was sobbing uncontrollably, Michael put his arm around her and hugged her tightly. Their five months of marriage had been utterly blissful, especially since they’d been able to spend the majority of the time together, at their apartment during the days and on the stage at night.

“I just can’t believe it’s over,” Sydney sniffed into Michael’s shoulder. “It feels like we just started!”

“Syd, just this morning you were saying how glad you were that it was over and we could have a break,” Michael laughed. “Besides, we need to get ready for the baby.”

“Yeah I know… but it’s sad and I’m only like… a day pregnant, so it doesn’t matter” she sighed.

“A day pregnant?” he laughed. “Try a month and a half,” he corrected. She shrugged indifferently as they walked off the stage.

“Hey Michael? Can we go to California for a while? You know, like as a vacation?”

“Already bought the tickets,” Michael grinned at her. Sydney looked at him, slightly surprised. “What? I had a feeling you’d want to go.”

She laughed softly and kissed him. “You’re so sweet… some of the time.”

“Thanks Syd,” he laughed.

Back