A Fine Line

An excellent startt as usual. I am so sorry for being so terrible at posting reviews. Thank you for starting yet another fic to keep us all entertained. You are amazing

Great fic! Michael as a dancer...never thought of anything like that. Great idea. Can't wait to read tomorrow's considering Michael was a little un social towards Syd.

-erin :smiley:

First impressions mean a lot Michael, and yours sucked! Too bad you won't have another one.

Thanks for the PM.

Chris

this sounds like an interesting story because in this one they won't like each other, it's going to be hate at first sight :P , not love at first sight :D

thx for the pm

wow not too many readers for this fic... oh well.

Chapter 2
“I mean it’s just… so unfair and ridiculous,” Sydney ranted while stirring her steaming soup with her spoon, tying to cool it off. Cooper took her out to dinner to celebrate after their auditions, however, he hadn’t been able to get a word in edgewise; Sydney had ranted the entire time.

“Sydney, seriously, its oh-kay,” Cooper emphasized. “I like the chorus. I’m not upset about this at all – why are you?”

“Because!” Sydney said, slamming her hand down on the table, “This is injustice!”

Cooper sighed and rolled his eyes slightly. This was typical Sydney behavior; she always over dramatized things. Only, usually, it had to do with her not getting a part she wanted in the latest ballet, or her not being chosen as a special class representative, or her not being picked to be a peer leader at Julliard. Cooper had never seen her have such a reaction over someone else’s ‘injustice’. While he appreciated her concern, it really was no big deal.

“I mean, god – did you see how antisocial that Michael freak was?! I mean, hello would it kill you just to say hi to someone? Apparently it would in his case,” Sydney muttered under her breath before taking a spoonful of her soup.

“Maybe… he’s shy,” Cooper rationalized.

“How many shy Broadway performers do you know?” Sydney retorted; Cooper shrugged. “None, exactly. It’s a profession that demands you be outgoing. He’s probably just a stuck up pretentious asshole.”

“Or… he was having a bad day?” he suggested.

Sydney shot him a look. “Why are you defending him?!” Again, Cooper shrugged. “It’s not because you think he’s cute is it?! That is so not a defense. In fact, the fact that he’s cute – which, if you think about it, he really isn’t all that great – only makes him more likely to have an asshole complex. Besides, he might not even be gay.”

“How many straight male Broadway performers do you know – especially ones in ballet shows?” Cooper countered.

Sydney shrugged with a laugh, “Touché.”

After that, they finished their meal without any more complaining from Sydney. Then, they parted ways and went home to their respective apartments to get a good night’s sleep, for the following day their grueling rehearsals began.

~*~

The premise of the musical On Pointe was simple enough. The musical followed the life of Marie, a ballet student at a famous ballet school (essentially Julliard, though the school is never named). Though Marie is talented, she struggles with the discipline and devotion it takes to be a prima ballerina. The male lead in the musical, Charlie, is one of Marie’s dance instructors who tries to help her, though because of his short temper, isn’t much assistance. During the course of Marie’s studies with Charlie, she falls in love with him. Unfortunately, he does not reciprocate those feelings for her. In the end, Marie leaves the school slightly heartbroken because of Charlie’s dismissal of her feelings, but she gets a part in the corps de ballet at a well-known ballet theater.

Sydney was thrilled to begin work on the musical since it so closely mirrored her life. Of course she had never fallen in love with any of her teachers (most of them were female and the male ones were quite obviously batting for the other team, so to speak), but she had struggled at first to reach ‘prima ballerina’ status. Plus the fact that she had never done a musical before and had always wanted to added some extra thrill to her new job.

The day following the announcement of the cast, a Thursday, Sydney returned to the 71st Street Theater for her first practice having no idea what to expect. She arrived only moments before Cooper did and the two of them sat and chatted while the other performers filtered in one by one. Not surprisingly, Michael Vaughn was the last to arrive, which made Sydney, who hated tardiness, dislike him even more than she already did. That day, she didn’t even bother going over to say hello to him; there was no point.

“Okay people let’s focus here!” the director shouted out from the stage, trying to call the attention of all the chattering actors. Once the loud talking calmed down to an occasional whisper, he continued. “Today we’re going to be running through all the songs just to get you all familiar with them. I expect you all to start learning your lines ASAP!! Okay, the first song – The First Day of School – is sung by Charlie and the chorus,” he said. Then, he organized the chorus on one section of the stage and then pulled Michael onto the center stage and handed him a handful of papers that presumably contained the music and lyrics to the song. After reading through the sheet, Michael signaled the pianist to begin playing.

Before he began, Sydney snickered to herself, wondering how terrible Michael’s singing was going to be. However, the moment he opened his mouth and the first note came out, her jaw practically fell into her lap. What Michael obviously lacked in ballet talent, he made up for a few times over in singing ability. Sydney begrudgingly admitted to herself that his singing talents were far better than Cooper’s which was most likely the reason why he got the part. The character of Charlie doesn’t do all that much ballet during the show, mostly he sings, so it made sense for the casting director to cast someone whose strength was singing and not dancing.

The second song in the musical was Sydney’s. After Michael finished his song, Sydney took his place on the stage and sang her song. This pattern continued until all of the musical’s thirteen songs had been sung all the way through. One of the songs later on in the musical was a duet sung between Sydney and Michael’s characters. Never before had Sydney sung a duet, so she was slightly concerned about how it would go. She was pleasantly surprised, though, at how well their voices meshed together during the song.

Because of this, she decided that maybe she could give Michael a second chance to make a first impression. When their rehearsal wrapped for the day, she approached him and cleared her throat, announcing her presence. He looked over her with a slightly confused and almost annoyed expression. “I…um, just wanted to say good singing – I mean, you sing really well,” she said.

“Thanks,” he said shortly. “You, uh, sing good too… but I guess your strength is your dancing, right?”

Not sure if that was simply a comment or a backhanded insult to her singing, Sydney furrowed her brow. “What’s that supposed to mean?” she asked. Michael shrugged. “Well you’re one to talk!” she retorted before stomping away.

“Making friends?” Cooper asked as she passed him, obviously being sarcastic.

“I hate him,” Sydney grumbled. “Who is he to criticize my singing ability?!”

“Did he say that?” Coop asked, sounding slightly surprised.

“Well…no… not in so many words…,” she said evasively.

“What did he say?”

“That dancing was obviously my strength.”

Coop shrugged, not seeing the insult in that. Sydney gave a frustrated screech before stomping off towards the exit. Coop sighed and shook his head; it was going to be a long few months of rehearsal, he just knew it.

most of them were female and the male ones were quite obviously batting for the other team, so to speak),

^ LMAO thats the best expression ever!! :sideroll:

Michael really needs to think before he speaks :thinking:

hehe she hates him now lol
soon
lol soon
thats all we have to tell ourselves
shes kinda judgemntal about someone she barely knows
oh and janet im pretty sure ppl DO read they just dont comment
but i figure the author has taken their time to write for us we could spend a further 30 seconds writing a reply to them

dont worry
i can reply for a LOT of people if u want!!!

This is really funny because yes, this happens. There are those people who you just keep finding reasons not to stand, just because. Sydney is doing that with Michael, he got on her nerves.

i would have taken that as...a compliment i think. idk. i dont see why she hates him so much. this kinda reminds me of the new show about Grease too idk why lol.

can't wait for more :smiley:

i really like this fic and sorry i didn't reply yesterday i was in a rush reading it!
i think that maybe there is a reason for Michael's tardiness and for being ?defensive? or what ever is with the way he is acting! i think that is is really cute that michael is a great singer!

thanks for the pm on the 1st chap
lol gracie

This kinds of reminds me of this movie called Center Stage. It's awesome, lol. Just thought I'd point that out :blush: . Good update. I love knowing that they will end up together, and Sydney will be wondering why she ever hated him so much :lol: .

Back