A Fine Line

Sydney and Michael do have one thing in common. They're both pricks. However, Sydney is an elitest prick.

Chris

wow not too many readers for this fic... oh well.

:blush: I'm here now! I love your stories mate - they're all good... no I take that back... they're all great!!! :lol:

Of course she had never fallen in love with any of her teachers (most of them were female and the male ones were quite obviously batting for the other team, so to speak),

Now that's gold :smiley: lol

Thanks for letting me know about your new fic mate! Very much appreciated :cheers:

Chapter 4
“Sydney, is it at all possible for you to simply… coexist with Michael without growing more and more hostile towards him by the day?” Cooper asked with a heavy sigh. He, of course, knew this was a rhetorical question. Sydney, by nature, grew to hate those she simply disliked in the beginning. Rarely would the hatred go away save some extreme circumstances.

“No,” Sydney told him simply.

“Fine… at least sing like you love him, okay?” Cooper suggested.

“Oh, I will,” Sydney assured him. Then, she left his side and took the stage beside Michael, who was sneering at her. Sydney shut her eyes and took a deep breath, preparing herself for her performance. Michael, the asshole, wasn’t standing beside her. Instead, it was a puppy; puppies were impossible not to love. On Michael’s singing cue, Sydney opened her eyes and performed the best she could, under the circumstances that way.

“Better!” the director exclaimed at the end of their performance. “Much, much better! Now ladies and gentlemen tomorrow we will be starting choreography, so make sure to bring your dancing shoes!”

After the director’s praise, Sydney gave Michael a proud smile before sauntering off towards Cooper. “Better right?” she asked with a smile.

“To an untrained eye I suppose,” Cooper sighed. Sydney furrowed her brow at him, wondering what he meant. “Oh just… you know. You still had a look of hostility to him at some points. It was subtle but I’ve seen you do it enough to recognize.”

“Whatever,” Sydney muttered. “It’s not like it’s going to get any better than that I mean what do they expect? Me to fall head-over-heels in love with him?” then she snorted with laughter, obviously believing that to be almost as possible as being able to turn into a chicken with the snap of her fingers.

“Um, no, I think at this point they’d settle for arriving at rehearsal unarmed,” Cooper told her. Sydney rolled her eyes before walking away from him; that was obviously never going to happen.

~*~

Being that On Pointe was a musical, in addition to the singing, there was dancing. All but three songs involved some sort of choreography routine, the other three being soft, slow ballad songs where dancing wasn’t appropriate. Learning the proper choreography was as difficult, if not more difficult for some, than learning the actual lines. It took great physical stamina to be able to dance around the stage and then sing without being out of breath. This was a small problem for Sydney.

While she was used to dancing ballets that lasted for a few hours, during those routines she was silent; there was no singing or speaking. In that case, it didn’t really matter all that much if she was out of breath or breathing heavily, because that would have been unseen and unnoticed by the audience. Granted, the musical required less physical activity than ballets, at least for the most part, but still she struggled at first.

Being a perfectionist, Sydney hated struggling. She’d stay after the designated rehearsal time to practice some more and incorporate singing along with her dance moves. Within a few days, she was improving, but the constant mocking comments and looks from Michael weren’t helping her in the least. He’d walk past her and mutter something about needing to take a break or take five and then every time she appeared to be out of breath he’d laugh at her. By the time a week went by, she was at the end of her rope and wasn’t shy about it either.

On one such occasion when he was laughing at her from across the room she stomped her way over to him and stared him down. “What’s ‘amatter pretty boy? Oh I see, you must not be used to seeing people do real work being a surfer and all. Seriously, tell me, is it difficult to keep that blonde streak in your hair? Or, no, I know tying your board shorts in the morning – real difficult, right?”

Slightly annoyed, he removed the smirk from his face. “I was not a surfer.”

Sydney laughed. “But you told me yourself that you worked in your dad’s surf shop.”

“Yeah, key words being my dad’s. I worked there running the cash register, making change – you know, stuff that would make your little forehead crinkle up and completely boggle your mind as soon as you ran out of fingers to count on,” he retorted.

Growling slightly, Sydney took a step towards him, but before she could react verbally or physically, Cooper dragged her away. “Walk it off,” he encouraged to her quietly while Michael called out something about her little friend coming to save her.

“I hate him,” Sydney muttered.

“I know,” Cooper sighed with a slight eye roll.

“Okay, okay, let’s move onto the next song, shall we?” the choreographer announced to them. Sydney let out a slight groan at this. During that song, she would be in ‘dance class’ where Michael, as her teacher, had to pick her up to show the rest of the class a certain lift. She was not in the mood to be in the same room as Michael Vaughn let alone have him touch her, yet she had no choice.

Everyone took their positions and the song began. Sydney put aside the fact that Michael’s touch made her skin crawl for one moment so that their scene could be done correctly the first time around and, thus, having to repeat it a minimal amount of times. Unfortunately, almost as soon as Michael picked her up, he dropped her, causing her to smash painfully into the ground, butt first, followed closely by her back and then head. While Sydney was too stunned to move, a soft groan went through the class and Michael held back laughter. “I’m sorry,” he said in an incredibly insincere tone. “Are you alright?”

“You jerk face bastard!” Sydney growled at him. “You did that on purpose!”

“Me? Of course not!” he insisted, laughing softly that time.

From her position on the ground, Sydney smashed her fist down into his foot and then stomped on his other foot as she slowly climbed to a standing position. “Oops, it was an accident,” she mocked his casual tone while he glared at her.

“You know,” Michael began loudly, “I don’t think I’ll be able to pick Sydney up; she’s kinda heavy,” he said with a pointed look towards her. Sydney gaped at him and he smirked.

“I’m sure she’s not Michael, just try it again,” the choreographer said with a sigh.

Before taking her position once more, Sydney hissed to Michael, “Drop me again and you’ll lose your ability to have children.”

Michael had no intensions to drop her once more (once was enough for his own amusement), but he certainly wouldn’t have after that threat. Somehow, he just had a feeling she would definitely act on it.

I have to say I laughed a lot during this chapter but they're incredibly unprofessional. Not to mention the fact that Michael could really have hurted Sydney. Oh if I were the director!

“Yeah, key words being my dad’s. I worked there running the cash register, making change – you know, stuff that would make your little forehead crinkle up and completely boggle your mind as soon as you ran out of fingers to count on,” he retorted.
ouch :sideroll:
they need to stop arguing soon!!
:argue:

Their hate has no bounds. And Sydney doesn't realize it yet, that her taunting him is just making things worse. She taunts and Michael reacts. Soon things are going to spiral out of control. In fact, things could get so bad that if Michael was hit by a car, I could see Sydney walk up to the driver and pat him on the back for a job well done.

“What’s ‘amatter pretty boy? Oh I see, you must not be used to seeing people do real work being a surfer and all. Seriously, tell me, is it difficult to keep that blonde streak in your hair? Or, no, I know tying your board shorts in the morning – real difficult, right?”

Again, Sydney is being an elitest here and looking down her nose at him. Michael may fight back whenever she taunts him but (except that one time in the prior chapter) he doesn't bring up her background. So, his father isn't rich like hers and didn't send him to Julliard...

And Sydney believes is stereotypes- his father owns a surf shop, therefore, Michael must be a beach bum. She most likely lookes down her nose at him too because he ran a cash register. She doesn't think that he may have done it to work his way through college or just to help out his dad. She has a picture in her mind of what he was like and therefore, what she sees must be the truth.

I like Cooper, however, he does try to make her see reason. But when you're trying break through a brick wall, sometime you need a jackhammer. :rolleyes:

Chris

Back