A Twin Thing

OK - SO I have never posted a fic here before. I only have two but they're over at SD-1. But since this board seems to have a large amount of S/V fans I figured I would post it here as well. Hope you don't think it sucks...if you do...my bad.

Chapter 1

Weekly hockey games had been a part of Michael Vaughn’s life for as long as he could remember. He had been part of various leagues and teams since childhood. He played for town teams, work teams, school teams; just about any team that would let him play. The terms “letting him play” might be taking a bit far, since he was a great player. He didn’t like to think of himself as someone who “carried” a team. In his eyes the old saying “There’s no ‘I’ in team” certainly applied.

So, it was no coincidence that he found himself arriving at the rink for yet another game. The opposing team was one he had never faced before. In fact, he had never even heard of them before. When he entered the building he found the other team already on the ice warming up. He watched the other players for a few moments trying to size up the competition before getting himself ready.

The other team skated around mostly passing the puck and just generally warming up but one player stood out. He was fast. Really fast.

‘This guy could have been a speed skater!’ He thought.

He skated his way to the goal, faked a shot forcing the goalie to one side and easily flipped the puck in the net. He then stopped short, reclaimed the puck and skated off. He wore one of those masks that hid his entire face – some people like them – they say they tone down the glare from the ice.

Vaughn tore his eyes away and went to the locker room to get himself ready.

About halfway through the first period the bench for Vaughn’s team was buzzing about the “fast kid.” Every time he would whiz by some would grumble saying, “he’s not that fast,” or they would let out some sort of expletive in awe.

Somewhere in the third period the “fast kid” scored a goal on Vaughn’s team, effectively putting their lead up by 2. In the process of doing this, he also skated in front of one of Vaughn’s teammates, Steve, forcing him to fall. Needless to say Steve wasn’t impressed. By the time he pulled himself off the ice the fast kid was skating by Vaughn’s team’s bench. Before he even knew what hit him the “fast kid” was slammed into the boards and took one of Steve’s punches to the gut. The kid fought back and was able to land a solid punch to Steve’s face.

Before Steve could throw another punch he was pushed back to the ice by the goalie from the other team. He looked up angrily at the goalie who had a stern expression etched on his face, as he had thrown his mask on the ice.

“Back off!” The goalie yelled.

By now, both teams had gathered around and were watching, waiting for more fighting. After yelling the goalie turned around and helped the “fast kid” up and they skated off together, as if nothing had happened.

Vaughn’s team watched them skating to their bench.

“J. Bristow and S. Bristow.” Eric Weiss, the goalie for Vaughn’s team said. “They must be brothers.”

Vaughn grumbled as he helped Steve up. “No wonder he was so pissed. You tried to take out his brother.”

“He tripped me!” Steve argued.

“He skates so damn fast I don’t even know how you saw him!” Weiss said as he made his way back to the net.

The game continued without incident and in the end Vaughn’s team lost by one. It was a bummer, but he didn’t let it get him down. As he was walking out of the rink he caught sight of the most beautiful girl…well, woman he had ever seen.

She was about his age, maybe 20, with long brown hair and God help him, the longest legs he had ever seen. She was wearing a plaid skirt that barely came to her mid thigh, tastefully, with a pair of low top Converse All Stars. She also wore a blue corduroy coat with a sheepskin lining on top of what looked like a soft, white cashmere sweater.

He was barely standing 15 feet away from her, basically just staring, when Weiss found him.

“Dude, you’re drooling.” He deadpanned.

Vaughn shook his head slightly trying to regain some focus. “Sorry.” He mumbled, barely able to take his eyes off her.

“Don’t be, she’s pretty damn hot. What the hell is she doing here?” He laughed.

Just then a guy about their age came out of the locker rooms and approached her.

“Hey kiddo, you ready?” He asked cheerfully.

She looked up and smiled at him. Vaughn thought he might have a small heart attack, looking at her smile. He thought she was gorgeous before but now that he had seen that smile he was sure he could die a happy man.

She nodded and pushed herself off of the wall she hand been leaning on and walked next to the guy who had approached her. He put his arm around her shoulders and squeezed her tight to him. As the pair walked away all Vaughn could see was the guy’s jacket, which read: ‘Bristow’ across the back.

Aww... I love this idea!!

J and S Bristow... hee hee... I love that we know that she's a she and yet they still don't.

Awww... now Vaughn's gonna think she's with Bristow instead of being a Bristow!!!

Please, Please PM me when you update, I really can't wait to see how it unfolds! I'm so happy you posted this! It's great!!!

See, I love you, and I love your fics, so you must PM me. You must! But the PMs frequently don't work, so I'll keep checking in if they don't! :D

~Anja

See, I love you, and I love your fics, so you must PM me. You must! But the PMs frequently don't work, so I'll keep checking in if they don't! :D

~Anja

Thats why I hesitated about putting this fic up here - because of the PM issues.

I'm also posting at SD-1 so you can check there too, but I know some people from here aren't on that site - so I thought I'd try it.

I haven't done it with my other fics because I feel like this site ismore greared towards S/V than Sarkney...oh well

Sarah, 👋

Loved it. :P Can wait to see what happens next. Pm me but will also keep my eyes open at SD-1 for an update.

I promise myself that I wouldn't start reading new fics for a while but this one is too good to miss. So here I am.:woot:

I know about the pm situation...pisses me off, too.:o_O:

Have a great day and talk to you soon.

:cheers:

CJ

I wouldn't normally update twice inone day but since I updated at SD-1 I just want to get both postings on the same schedule. Hope no one minds. Besides I'll probably be gone for a few days....so here ya go.

Chapter 2

20 year old Sydney walked into her home alongside her twin brother Jack. He was named after her father, and to avoid confusion they had always called him Jackie – although now that he was more grown up he hated when people called him that. It was a name only to be used by family members.

“Dad?” She yelled when she got through the door. “We’re home!”

There was no answer. Not all that surprising. It wasn’t as if Jack Bristow was an absentee parent. He had sat through his fair share of hockey, soccer, baseball, school plays, dance recitals and every other childhood event. But now that the twins were older, he could get away with being a little more absent.

“Guess he’s not here yet.” Jackie said.

“No, I’m right here.” Jack said as he entered the living room. “How did it go?” He asked cheerfully. He considered himself to be a very lucky man that his kids got along. Even better, they barely ever fought and if anything Jackie was fiercely protective over his sister rather than one of those mean older-brother types.

“Good.” Sydney said as she reached into the refrigerator for a water bottle.

“Until Syd got nailed in the third period!” Jackie said, effectively tattling on his sister.

Jack was never all that fond of Sydney playing hockey. After all, she was a girl and was supposed to be more ladylike. But what Jackie did, Sydney did and there wasn’t much to be done about it. Especially after she started playing and excelled at it.

“What!?” Jack gasped looking pointedly at his daughter. “Are you alright?”

“I’m fine Dad.” She said. “It’s no big deal. Besides, Jackie came to my rescue.” She smiled sweetly at him.

“Not before she clocked the guy in the face.” He laughed recalling the solid punch she landed and effectively knocking that other guy on his ass.

“Did you see his expression when you pushed him?” She laughed loudly. “Priceless!”

“Ah Man!” Jackie sighed. “I wish I had a camera.”

“I’m glad you two had fun.” Jack said. “When’s your next game? Maybe I can make it.”

“Well, we have a tournament coming up in three weeks. Syd and I are flying to Chicago, remember?” He asked Jack, knowing that he had already invited him.

“Oh, yes. I remember now. I’ll have to see if I can fly in. How long does it run?”

“Six days.” Sydney said. “And the league is paying for the hotel too. It should be fun.”

“Sydney.” Jack said sternly. “I hope I don’t have to remind you that it is imperative that you have your own room!”

“Dad!” She screeched, appalled that he had the impression she would be shacking up with her teammates. Not that she was opposed to sharing a room, but she knew full well that wasn’t what he meant.

“Jeez Dad!” Jackie said. “Like I would ever let her share a room with any of the guys. I would hope you know me better than that!”

“I suppose you’re right.” Jack relented.

“I’m going up to bed.” Sydney yawned. “Can you bring my bag in from the car Jackie?”

“That’s why girls shouldn’t play hockey. If you can’t carry your own bag you shouldn’t be able to play.” He huffed.

Sydney called from her position of already walking up the stairs to her room. “I CAN carry my own bag. I just don’t want to.”

She entered her room and immediately began stripping her skirt and sweater to get into her pajamas. She stood in front of her full length mirror in her bra and underwear and grimaced at her reflection. Half of her side was covered in a bruise.

“Gross.” She muttered to herself and she began poking at it. Shrugging it off, she dressed herself for bed and quickly fell asleep.

Chapter 3

For weeks, Vaughn thought about the girl he saw in the hockey rink. He spent countless hours searching his memory to try and remember if he had ever seen someone so beautiful before. He was sure, after weeks of thinking about it, that he hadn’t. Granted, she was a beautiful woman that belonged to someone else, but beautiful nonetheless.

He knew, in his head, that he shouldn’t think about her. For numerous reasons. The fact that she was someone else’s girlfriend was a good one. The fact that she didn’t know that he even existed. The fact that he saw her at random and would most likely never see her again. The fact that even if he did ever see her again he was certain he wouldn’t speak to her anyway.

He and his teammates were standing in the lobby of a hotel in Chicago while their coach checked them in. On one of the walls information about the hockey tournament and the teams competing in it was displayed. He perused the information along with several of his teammates.

“Well, I’ll be…” Steven piped in from right next to Vaughn.

“What?” He asked, trying to see what his friend was looking at.

“Here, look.” He pointed his finger to the room assignments of the other teams.

“Yeah, so?” Vaughn asked.

“That little prick…S. Bristow…Has his own room.” Steve grumbled.

For the most part all of the guys had to share rooms. Worse than that it wasn’t just two guys to a room. In some cases it was three or four.

Vaughn was just starting to realize that he may, in fact, see his dream girl again.

Weiss got a better look at the information. “Looks like the three of us are right across the hall from him, too.”

“He better hope they don’t play us again. I swear to God I will kick his ass!” Steve ranted as they made their way to the elevator to go up to their room.

It wasn’t too long afterwards that Jackie and Sydney’s team checked into the hotel as well. They got their room assignments and headed off in the direction of the elevators. Surprisingly, even with all of the people in the hotel, they ended up alone.

“Syd…” Jackie began.

She looked down at her feet and sighed. “Jackie, don’t. I already know.”

“It’s important Syd.” He pleaded.

“I know.” She said through gritted teeth.

“It’s for your own protection!” He yelled. He couldn’t understand why she fought this subject every time it came up.

Her head shot up and she glowered at him. “I know! Don’t worry, no one from the other teams will ever find out that I’m a girl! They won’t even know who I am. They won’t even notice me.”

“They’ll target you if they know!” He said. “I don’t want you hurt! You’re not to speak to anyone!”

The elevator reached their floor and they stepped out. They silently walked through the halls until they got to their rooms. Jackie’s was right next to Sydney’s; his roommates hadn’t come up the elevator yet.

The shared a short look, each with their hands on their door knobs, before turning them and entering their separate rooms.

Can't wait for Sydney and Vaughn to meet. I'm assuming since he's staying in the room across the hall from her that they will meet a few times during the tournament. Bet Vaughn will find out about Sydney' s little secret and keep quiet to protect her.

Keep up the good work, Sarah and talk to you soon.

:smiley:

CJ

OO I'm liking this!!! (y)
-I can't wait to see Vaughn's reaction when he finds out that Syd is the girl and she plays hockey!!! :woot:
-Can I please get a pm next time you update!!! :D

Back