About scaling Quest instances...

Posting about what kind of Character I'll be making, i though of the following:
I remember that it was said, that many Quests would play out in Instances, and that these would scale to the Characters attempting them (first Question here). These Instances are most likely going to be a major Part of the Journeysystem (the Thingy that's supposed to give each Character their own personal Story to live through). Now since Heros Journey is going to be a levelbased Game, this Scaling is going to be based on the Levels, I'd expect.

So - what happens if i'm weak ?
Experience tells me, that my Character will suck. If a Game gives me Choice in Development, i will hit the wrong Skills. Not so much because I'm stupid, but more because I choose what I like, not what I think is powerful. Style over Substance and all that...

And if I'm hardcore-Carebear ?
I usually don't enter Dungeons if i can't easily dispatch the Inhabitants, because the confined Space gives me no Way to run, if something starts to look like a close Call. I don't attack anything that looks dangerous - doubly so if it might root or stun. I'm reluctant to Group, just because i lose control over the Situation.

...and all that's no Problem so long as Encounters have fixed Power. If something looks fishy, i can always just leave the Quest and come back for the Kill once I've got a Couple more Levels. But as if Questinstances weren't already bad enough (in an "uncontrolled Situation, possibly without retreat"-kind of Way), once they scale with me, I can't even level on until I'm confident that I'll be able to handle any Emergency. ...so, all I can do is skip those Candidates - and if it's a "Journeyquest", I can't even do that... I can only stop following my "Journey".

So I wonder how big a Part of the Experience the "Journeysystem" will be, and how much of the Content will be "scaling Instances" ? Will there be a Way to predict or even choose the Difficulty of those Instances ? How would you counterbalance playing a Quest on "easy" ?

Re: About scaling Questinstances...

City of Heroes has pretty much done everything you mentioned. You can scale all the missions according to difficulty and the game scales the mobs according the size of your party. So you can be solo or group, newbie or vet and run the same mission without worrying if it will be too difficult or too challenging.

Even WoW has heroic instances now for those who ran the same instance before to have a greater challenge.

Back