Instance Normalization

Originally posted by Seeria@May 15 2006, 11:27 AM
pvp is not a big focus of this game, so... *shrug*
I would highly disagree on that, if they're willing to make a pure PvP server, by all means... PvP has alot to do with it.

What is RP for not PvP?
You need strife to have a good story.

Without strife, it's just another CareBear episode.

Im pretty sure i remembered reading that the scaling was only within quests... not for any kind of PVP.

to further answer someones earlier question, thats what levels are for... everything outside the instanced content... PvPing, open quests and the like.

when you couple the ability to play with anyone reguardless of level with the aprentice/master relationship i think Simu is fostering community in ways that blows forced grouping out of the water and off the planet

"High level characters may elect to form a long-term mentoring relationship with lower level characters. Apprentices learn more quickly when hunting with their Masters, and also for a short time later while practicing what was learned. Masters also benefit from the exchange, gaining experience at a slightly faster rate when they’re assisting their Apprentice. All around, Master / Apprentice Relationships are a win / win situation that allows players to help their friends “catch up” if they’ve fallen behind."

-Melissa Meyer, December 13, 2005 [>]

Originally posted by killarai+May 15 2006, 02:47 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (killarai @ May 15 2006, 02:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Seeria@May 15 2006, 11:27 AM
pvp is not a big focus of this game, so... *shrug*
I would highly disagree on that, if they're willing to make a pure PvP server, by all means... PvP has alot to do with it.

What is RP for not PvP?
You need strife to have a good story.

Without strife, it's just another CareBear episode.[/b][/quote]
when i think of the PvP in Simu's other games like gemstone and compare it to the more PvP centered MMo's i find something funny.

yeh others cater more to everyone killing each other more often. the people who like these implementations often talk about honor and courage and the thrill of the kill and the fight or flight and high tensions.

but to be honest, i think those sorts of emotions were much more intense and long lasting in Simu's other games precisely because they didn't focus so heavily on them. many of the things people beg for in PvP i think are not in the implementation of features but in the structure itself. for instance killing someone in gemstone was a great deal more of a fuss volcanoe than in almost any MMo ive played, especially to those that cater to PvP. because in the others you expected death and their systems are setup to deal with death as a common occurance. you were used to people killing people right in front of you and often. after a while you didn't even experience a real rage (if you ever did) when you were killed because its just another day on the PvP game your playing... but in Gemstone or DragonRealms heck... it was a major event. if someone killed you... then you NEVER forgot their name. you never lost that anger untill you found them again and exacted revenge. You could change their name to red so it would be easily picked up upon when they appeared, but you didnt need to... in your mind it was more then red, it was etched on the stone tablet of people you must kill in order to feel normal again. the emotions you felt were more genuine because you were in a more realistic realm where you didnt become accustom to sensless death all the time and therefor an attack on you was meaningfull, unquestionably unforgiveable and ripe with malice. on the flip side killing someone was so much more evil and gave you such a sense of wreckless abandon and thrill, but thats the catch you couldnt simply kill kill kill... you had to do it with skill, and after a while you sort of took pride in how you were a very methodical and very skilled murderer. after a while it wasn't even about the loot, it was only about furthering your dark craft of inflicting death. now im sorry but in an unbalanced game, PvPing is shallow and useless. i have faith that Simu will be fostering a great community that will cater to everyone, even when they might not think Simu is thinking of them. its not always about features, sometimes its simply the way they allow things to work that makes the experience so good.

*applauds* YES... now that is more like the roleplay I enjoy seeing. I've seen year long roleplays in EQ that had it's tense moments and rarely did it come to blows.

It is far harder and more rewarding to roleplay a char that has morals or is restricted by laws than it is to play the joe-blow that just slides a blade through anyone and everyone.

I won't go into PvP because the implementation hasn't been fully decided yet but I will say that any time the onsite staff are asked about it they say that any PvP implementation will have to be PvP with a purpose and the purpose has to make sense in the game world not just in the mind of the player.

As for the mentoring/sidekicking thing, it does work much like that of CoH in that the lower level is scaled up to the higher level. One key difference is that the CoH system allows one level 50 to mentor one level 2 where our system will allow the level 50 to have multiple lower level sidekicks. This allows you to always be able to group with your friends no matter how spread out the levels get.

Most of the instances will scale based on the level of the group that enters but you have to remember that these instances are mainly designed for quests. These aren't like WoW instances where you go in to grind XP or farm some "phat lewts", you're going in for a purpose that will be advancing your, or your friends, story.

So to answer the question that started this off...what good are levels. The main thing levels will provide will be access to new skills. If you're level 2 and your level 50 friend sidekicks you then your skills will have the effective power of a level 50 but you won't have access to any of the skills available between level 2 and level 50. In otherwords a true level 50 will have a bigger arsenal to choose from. If I remember correctly it was stated that any items you loot while sidekicked will stay with you and be usable by you even when you revert to level 2. With Wyr this is easy enough because they tend to have a percentage increase. If your Mortar does 100 damage at level 50 and you get a Wyr that adds 10% then it will do 110. When you drop back to level 2 and it should be doing say 10 damage you'll still have the +10% but that's only bumping it to 11 damage so not really breaking anything. (NOTE: ALL NUMBERS ARE PULLED OUT OF THIN AIR)

Originally posted by HJ-Sisca@May 15 2006, 08:36 AM
I won't go into PvP because the implementation hasn't been fully decided yet but I will say that any time the onsite staff are asked about it they say that any PvP implementation will have to be PvP with a purpose and the purpose has to make sense in the game world not just in the mind of the player.

As for the mentoring/sidekicking thing, it does work much like that of CoH in that the lower level is scaled up to the higher level. One key difference is that the CoH system allows one level 50 to mentor one level 2 where our system will allow the level 50 to have multiple lower level sidekicks. This allows you to always be able to group with your friends no matter how spread out the levels get.

Most of the instances will scale based on the level of the group that enters but you have to remember that these instances are mainly designed for quests. These aren't like WoW instances where you go in to grind XP or farm some "phat lewts", you're going in for a purpose that will be advancing your, or your friends, story.

So to answer the question that started this off...what good are levels. The main thing levels will provide will be access to new skills. If you're level 2 and your level 50 friend sidekicks you then your skills will have the effective power of a level 50 but you won't have access to any of the skills available between level 2 and level 50. In otherwords a true level 50 will have a bigger arsenal to choose from. If I remember correctly it was stated that any items you loot while sidekicked will stay with you and be usable by you even when you revert to level 2. With Wyr this is easy enough because they tend to have a percentage increase. If your Mortar does 100 damage at level 50 and you get a Wyr that adds 10% then it will do 110. When you drop back to level 2 and it should be doing say 10 damage you'll still have the +10% but that's only bumping it to 11 damage so not really breaking anything. (NOTE: ALL NUMBERS ARE PULLED OUT OF THIN AIR)
Sisca,

Thank you very much for this clarification.

<sits in a warm puddle, soaking his pants>
This soooo makes me relieved!

It's rain water, ok? and I was referring to the relieve of the PvP clarification...

~ Jaraeth

I like killing people for a body count, though. When I play FPS I look at the scoreboard like every 10 seconds.

And thx for clearing all that up Siska. That system you just explained is exactly how they sidekick on City of Heroes.

Originally posted by HJ-Sisca@May 15 2006, 04:36 PM
One key difference is that the CoH system allows one level 50 to mentor one level 2 where our system will allow the level 50 to have multiple lower level sidekicks. This allows you to always be able to group with your friends no matter how spread out the levels get.

This is GREAT. One of the problems with CoH was sometimes not everyone that need to be SKed could be. This is a great feature!

Back