Instance and UI concerns.

Originally posted by Presto+May 8 2006, 04:15 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Presto @ May 8 2006, 04:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-z80@May 7 2006, 07:11 PM

You really did need uber loot to survive the higher end content. If you really want to see every high end boss and beat them you needed the boosted stats provided by uber loot. People that were bored of repetitive instance farming or who didn't have the uninterrupted hours to get the uber dungen sets simply weren't going to see the whole game. I agree that if you didn't want to see the whole game then you don't need the uber loot...but those who did were sadly assed out if they didn't want to (or have the free time to) repeat and repeat raids that got boring after so many repetitive repeats. I'm glad HJ won't fall into that rut?
Thing is, after you do Molten Core 20 times, no other loot is really necessary. Nothing I got in BWL made me so much better than MC that I felt I needed it to increase my survivability.

For this reason, doing BWL became repetitive to me, and made me feel that I really didn't need other loot to continue playing. All I was doing was farming high instances, and that simply was not fun. [/b][/quote]
you are right. bwl is the one thing i will never see because i can't endure the boredom of farming molten core. and after bwl there really is nothing left...not really.

Instances: Boy, does anyone remember Daggerfall? Random dungeons I say! Sure, maybe you wouldn't be able to get as detailed graphic wise with random dungeons, but still wonderful looking enough to due. There are a few games that use random dungeon generation and I think that'd work great for MMO instances. Maybe not all instances, but a few that are static/story-based. Either that, or have an instance with multiple spawn-points for mobs/bosses. And I do like the idea of multiple paths to clear an instance.

That said...I'm much more concerned about RP and playing with friends than rewards.

UI: So far I think I like EQ2s UI the best. Everything is resizable, addable/deletable, and moveable. I liked the idea of being able to shrink/increase the size of the black letterbox bars on EQ2 also. I was able to drag everything off of my game screen. That's all I ask. Let me organize my UI the way I want it. I like the idea of having 1-99 buttons I can show/hide, group, shrink, and move. Flexbars is the only addon I used for WoW. With that I was able to turn off all other hotbars.

As long as all that is possible I see no reason for 3rd party addons. As far as the maps go...I think I'll start another topic on that with my ideas.

Originally posted by Rics@May 8 2006, 03:39 AM
Instances: Boy, does anyone remember Daggerfall? Random dungeons I say! Sure, maybe you wouldn't be able to get as detailed graphic wise with random dungeons, but still wonderful looking enough to due. There are a few games that use random dungeon generation and I think that'd work great for MMO instances. Maybe not all instances, but a few that are static/story-based. Either that, or have an instance with multiple spawn-points for mobs/bosses. And I do like the idea of multiple paths to clear an instance.
I agree with Rics, I think there is a place for random dungeons. Sometimes I just want to go on a dungeon romp, and I do not care about story. The appeal of random dungeons is that it is the mechanics of the game that provide the challenge and entertainment vs. a story.

By mechanics, I mean that traps, secret doors, layout, spawn locations, creature types, would all change in each dungeon. Learning how to deal with each of these variables would mitigate the fact that no story was present.

I don't have a problem with a Map System. If fact I hope there is some sort of in game map. I know alot of folks will be discouraged form playing this game if you had to rely on in game land marks to get around.

Thekk, I dont think the discussion is a matter of maps, but Mapping... big difference. We are saying it would be good to be able to create our maps, according to either automatic skill input or adding maps found to accentuate the player characters maps, as well as maps being "quest" items to unlock new or randomized zones.

Just wondering how many quests will be needed in-game for HJ to be released. I would imagine it would be in the hundreds, at least. I am sure there is a saturation point where there will be so many, it would take at least months to go through them all.

On the other hand, replayability seems high, based on what we've been told about instance scalability, so maybe not so many quests are needed for release. Or maybe I'm completely off, and it's thousands that are needed.

I sincerely hope that there are quests for single players without guild, or family. The guilds I have belonged to in the past seemed to be all about what to wear and what to say and to whom to say it to and very little about the GAME. I have been a solitary gamer now for several years. I do like to join a small group occasionally but, because of the hours I work, cannot always game on someone's schedule....so the loaners quest becomes one I prefer. It makes it harder for me since I also do not PVP.

Originally posted by Nainci@May 9 2006, 04:48 PM
I sincerely hope that there are quests for single players without guild, or family. The guilds I have belonged to in the past seemed to be all about what to wear and what to say and to whom to say it to and very little about the GAME. I have been a solitary gamer now for several years. I do like to join a small group occasionally but, because of the hours I work, cannot always game on someone's schedule....so the loaners quest becomes one I prefer. It makes it harder for me since I also do not PVP.
Just to address some of your problems. I don't belive you'll have to worry about what to wear anymore becuase everyone will be able to wear whatever they want. As for quests for single players, I'll be bringing this up in a Hero's Council meeting about solo'ers (I am a solo person myself sometimes). I'm almost positive their will be Family quests as well..

Small groups are incredibly fun in my opinon, and I hope they do well in this area. As for solo'ing, thats what I enjoy most.

Back