Are they going to have Empaths?

Gleamor

Cadet
I was wondering if they have mentioned having Empaths and if so are they going to be like in Dragons Realm and be penalized for doing combat with Mobs or other players?

There will be healers, but it is yet unknown wither that healer will be penalized for any combat. The reason being, you are picking two classes, not one. That means if you pick a warrior/healer you shouldn't be penalized for combat, but a healer/healer (if allowed to double-up) probably shouldn't be fighting anything at all.

I hope not. The name "Hero's Journey" implies for me to play a Hero, not a Hero-but-only-in-a-group-and-otherwise-not-better-than-a-farmer-npc.

Sure, healing is heroic to some point, but standing in front of a giant yeti, healing yourself till someone else helps you slay it, isn't very heroic.

Would you make a healer/healer class with the intention of battling a giant yeti? No, you'd have combat classes for that. Classes are classes because they separate what it is you wish to do as a player, the path you wish to take. Maybe a healer/healer should have some kind of sanctuary or calming spell to sooth the yeti until a fighter is summoned.

Again with the GSIII reference (sorry guys) empaths could sit in town all day and role-play. They gathered and healed, built up weath through trading and recognition through socializing. They could spend year after year of their real lives playing a character that never went into battle. This is what I call excellent game balance, because it is exactly what the person creating that character intended to do, and never got bored doing it. Again, some of the most famous, wealthiest characters in GSIII were empaths.

In the latest Developers Journal over at MMORPG.Com Steph described the Cleric, Healer and Bard classes.

As you can see from that the Empath isn't going to be around, the Healer will be the closest thing and the PC version will be more of a field medic than the town Dr. of the GS Empath.

It has been stated quite a few times that there will be no class1/class1 type setups. You have to pick two different classes.

On a more personal opinion, I think healers will (and should!) be able to do what they want. They CAN use a sword you know. :D

As for me I love FS(Full support) I'm use to it, also most combate char's i dislike, I like to help other's more than helping myself, SO FS would suit me pretty well.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I believe it should be same/same class as well. Some of my best friends were Empaths and Clerics and to me they were hero's. They were dependable and if you tipped well, very efficient in their classes. :P

Sometimes they would even come out on hunting parties with you just for fun.

It seems like you would undercut the essence of the class as a whole by forcing a secondary. For instance the Rogue. A rogue in my eyes is probably not the same as it would be in other peoples, especially not the developers (as time has shown) but it certainly isn't going to be what I expect if it is merged with another class completely.

I want a rogue that doesn't have to mesh with 500 people to know enough to get in 40 man raids in order to spend 12 hours to get the chance to roll on one object that may or may not be needed 1 month later. LOL.

GAH! Either way, I leave my fate to Hero's Journey as the best possible chance to have a game that will pre-occupy my desires in a MMORPG... I know they will give awesome support and eventually make all the classes with the best intention for the players.

There is a reason you can't be same/same classes in the current system but we can't go into it yet, you'll just have to trust me that it makes sense.

I'm curious to know what your idea of a rogue is? I'm willing to bet there is a Rogue/??? combo that would allow you to build something closer to that vision than any pure Rogue that most games come up with.

oohhh Have to say I love those classes, thanks for the link. I've been watching this game for two years (maybe more, I forget) and my excitement just grows with every article. Especially ones concerning healer types!

Okay, I'm tad confused here. In the above posts about class/class... what is meant by saying that some "same/same" can't be created?

I must have missed an article somewhere lol Does this mean I couldn't be a Healer/Cleric or Cleric/Healer, seeing how both have the class type of "support" as their first class type? Am I even making sense or should I go get more coffee now?

Originally posted by Seeria@May 7 2006, 09:11 PM
Okay, I'm tad confused here. In the above posts about class/class... what is meant by saying that some "same/same" can't be created?

I must have missed an article somewhere lol Does this mean I couldn't be a Healer/Cleric or Cleric/Healer, seeing how both have the class type of "support" as their first class type? Am I even making sense or should I go get more coffee now?
No, it just means you can't be a Cleric/Cleric in the game. :(

Originally posted by HJ-Sisca@May 7 2006, 08:56 PM
There is a reason you can't be same/same classes in the current system but we can't go into it yet, you'll just have to trust me that it makes sense.

I'm curious to know what your idea of a rogue is? I'm willing to bet there is a Rogue/??? combo that would allow you to build something closer to that vision than any pure Rogue that most games come up with.
My idea of a rogue is stealthing and finding my prey, stalking it to a good location, taking a peek at what they carry in their back-pack and making an attempt to steal it from them. If they do not catch me, great. If they do, they get an upper-hand and have a chance to kill me and get something in my possession. I want to be able to stealth into enemy lands and get valuable information from other guilds/races and steal from them. I want to have the ability to assasinate people or die trying with penalty...

I believe rogues should be independant of other classes. I want to not have to join a 200 man guild to have 40 people to do a 5 hour instance-run so that I can only roll against 3/4 of the classes for an object off a boss that I will only need for a few weeks.

I want my rogue to be in a rogue only guild and be able to harass others and have to avoid others as well. I want a class like a bounty hunter or tracker that can, with appropriate skill, be able to find me in certain conditions. I want that sort of dog-rabbit conflict that makes the idea of playing a rogue fun.

I simply want to play the part of the class that best fits the personality I want to project onto my character without limitation because it doesn't balance out with or work with a 40 man raid in PvP. I do not want to be a damage dealer only and never needed and forced to comply within social boundaries.

Rogues play rogues because, in part, they want to be anti-social and deviant in their character. I do anyways....

We shouldn't be forced to be paladin-like.......

We all role-play to an extend with our characters. My type of role-play is being able to DO with my character what my character should be able to DO. Instead of talk like I am role-playing and pretending I can DO what I cannot DO.

Originally posted by Gleamor@May 7 2006, 02:40 PM
I simply want to play the part of the class that best fits the personality I want to project onto my character without limitation because it doesn't balance out with or work with a 40 man raid in PvP. I do not want to be a damage dealer only and never needed and forced to comply within social boundaries.
In principle I agree with this, but not at the expense of other's enjoyment of the same experience.

This is typically why rogue's have limited skills in MMORPGs.

It sounds like you want to play a Rogue/Ranger to me Gleamor. From everything I've read so far (and I've read every scrap I could find, lol) it seems like that combo would be a pretty fair approximation of a bounty hunter or assassin.

Also, I wouldn't worry about being forced to join 40 man raids and such. The devs have said that HJ endgame won't feature the raid grind that so many other MMORPG's have (i.e. WoW). They've also stated that players will be able to solo and that quests will adjust to the level of the party or player, in the case of soloing, participating. If you want to roleplay a loner type character then I've seen nothing to suggest that that won't be possible.

I agree with you about quests and hope that there will be plenty of quests that allow each class' strengths to shine. Rogues shouldn't be resigned to just dealing damage. They should have quests where the objective is to pick someone's pocket or sneak in to a keep and steal a valuable item (or assassinate a powerful NPC) without being detected. I'm confident that the army of GM's will provide quests like that (only better I'm sure) for you and others suited to the various strengths of each class.

Cool Beans! I have my fingers crossed!

I am reaching 40 years old. I really don't have much more time before I have to attach a cane to my mouse!

When I think of what "warrior/warrior" would mean in terms of gameplay, I think "huge tank." Of course there should be ancillary skills, but I think "huge tank." And it turns out you can be that guy in HJ. It's a warrior/gearknight.

Likewise you can't be a healer/healer, but a healer/cleric will be a master of things restorative, which is really lines up with my perception of a pure healer.

Remember you also have a primary and secondary class, rather than equal splits, so you do emphasize one class.

What's a cleric/cleric anyway? A rogue/rogue? The idea lacks a logically deducible definition; it's a matter of taste and fantasy. And look- you get to have your idea of what a true cleric REALLY is fine-tuned just for you by picking a secondary class that adjusts your cleric to your perception of him. We can accomodate all of these views:

"I think a cleric should be a master of the cycle of life and death (secondary- necromancer)"
"I think a cleric should be able to deal decent melee damage" (sure, pick a melee secondary)
"I think clerics ought to be a support class that's not concerned about dealing damage directly" (pick up a healer, maybe even bard, as your secondary)
"What I really want to roleplay is a druid" (hey, we've got rangers too)

You get the idea!

Don't hate just because the idea you want doesn't have exactly the name you want (cleric/cleric). We've got you covered :lol: :lol:

Goat

Yeah.. I was hoping healing would be more of a domain of a pure healer, ala DR.
As in, HJ taking a step away from "Healer watches tank's health. Health drops, healer casts spell to top up tank's health" (whether that be using his/her own health to substitute or whether it's a magic +health spell etc, all the same really).

I would like to see healing as a Profession and lifestyle, not just a class.
But keeping it within the fantasy realm, keeping it managable (being able to go out and hunt and not have to come back to town every time you get hurt or something) I guess the tried and proven healing method probably is best.

I think I will end up going Healer/Ranger and roleplaying the mystic Druid type.
Time will tell.

Either way, when it all comes down to it, I just can't wait!

I actually loved Empaths in GMIII. I think it'd be a smart move to add into HJ. If not Empaths, something very similar. And I really don't see what the beef would be about having a class like that. It wouldn't hurt the people who loved to adventure and hunt, as they would simply not pick the class. But what it will do is provide an outlet for people who wish to play a pure social role, yet be rewarded for their time. I have many friends who still play GMIII over any modern day MMOs simply due to the fact they can be rewarded without hack/slash.

So, if not Empaths, I really think Simu would benefit by having a pure social/support class. I know it would please their loyal Gem fans! I know I loved just sitting in TS picking locks for days :smiley:

Back