Are you a fan of Anime?

Ok... I've done g-force, robotech, FF spirits within, Advent children, and Akira... but that's about it.

I see a lot of titles mentioned here, but, if you were going to recommend one or two 'must see' titles to get someone hooked on anime, what would they be? I've thought about picking up a dvd or even a manga graphic novel, but there are sooo many titles, I don't know the good from the blah. Thanks.

Suppose it's up to what kind of story you enjoy seeing unfold.
If I were to say what's been the best series, manga or anime... Try Cowboy Bebop if you like Sci-Fi / Real Character action or Full Metal Alchemist if you like fantasy mixed in with some 'what if tech'.
Both make great use of their time to tell their stories. There's not any gaping plot holes or 'we're doing this to f'with your head' which can plauge some anime when translated.
Also anything Miyuzaki in the full feature film catagory should appeal to you. Probably the most solid animation in the world always met with a great story.

OOOHHH and an anime more up to speed with our usual concept of fantasy: Record of Lodoss War <- Highly recommended.

Navarre, my top movie recommendation: Princess Mononoke (Mononoke Hime) As Luciro said, Miyazaki and his studio put out superb work.

A top series recommendation is a bit tougher... I'd agree with the choice of Full Metal Alchemist. It's definitely a series that lived up to all the hype.
I'd also add the mini-series Blue Submarine #6. It's more of a movie since it's just 4 episodes. That has always been one of my favorites as well. It manages to have a fully developed story, beautiful cg/animation blend and it makes you think, but too much. Nice action in it too.

Edit: One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread, but is kinda important when recommending things, is subbing vs. dubbing. I watch almost everything subtitled if I can. There are a few notable exceptions. For instance, Princess Mononoke has professional actors doing the voice acting so it's good both ways. However, some series appear to have chosen the worst english voice actors out of spite/drunkeness/budget. If I recommend something it's probably in its original japanese, and I can't vouch for the english dubbed version.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll try to add them to my Netflix queue. :smiley:

I prefer subtitles as well... I am a big fan of movies like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Hero, House of Flying Daggers, and such. I always watch subtitled over dubbed.

Navarre said:
Ok... I've done g-force, robotech, FF spirits within, Advent children, and Akira... but that's about it.

I see a lot of titles mentioned here, but, if you were going to recommend one or two 'must see' titles to get someone hooked on anime, what would they be? I've thought about picking up a dvd or even a manga graphic novel, but there are sooo many titles, I don't know the good from the blah. Thanks.
Also the series Oraskai mentioned, Death Note is a good one.

Zink said:
Also the series Oraskai mentioned, Death Note is a good one.

Though that is not officially released yet outside of Japan. It's only viewable on youtube and I imagine it's out on bittorrent somewhere. Unless you want the manga- that's available.

The ones I've watched that Watchmaker has:

Chobits
FLCL
AIR
Ah! My Goddess
Mai-Hime
Mai-Otome
Trigun
Ghost in the Shell
.//hack (All of them)
Bleach

One's I've watched and/or own, other than what W.R.R.M. mentioned:

Naruto (not the american dubbed one, yeck)
M.A.R.
Fate-Stay Night
Akira
Azumanga Daioh
Angelic Layer
Battle Angel Alita
Beet the Vandel Buster
Bubblegum Crisis 2040
Disgaea
E's Otherwise
Excel Saga
Flame of Recca
Gants
Hunter X
Melody of Oblivion
Narutaru
Samurai X
Samurai 7
Read or Die
S-Cry-ed
Star Ocean EX
Speed Grapher
Those Who Hunt Elves
Tsubasa Chronicles
xxxHolic
Witch Hunter Robin

and about two dozen others ;)

Jaraeth said:
The ones I've watched that Watchmaker has:
One's I've watched and/or own, other than what W.R.R.M. mentioned:

Naruto (not the american dubbed one, yeck) Amen.
M.A.R.
Fate-Stay Night Great show!
Akira
Azumanga Daioh I don't think I have laughed so hard.
Angelic Layer Another good show.
Battle Angel Alita
Beet the Vandel Buster
Bubblegum Crisis 2040
Disgaea Loved the game too.
E's Otherwise
Excel Saga
Flame of Recca Great show.
Gants
Hunter X
Melody of Oblivion
Narutaru
Samurai X
Samurai 7
Read or Die
S-Cry-ed Didn't like it too much, but I would tell others to watch it.
Star Ocean EX
Speed Grapher
Those Who Hunt Elves
Tsubasa Chronicles Wonderful.
xxxHolic
Witch Hunter Robin Props too this one also.

Commentary!

WatchMaker said:
Commentary!

Hehehe :smiley: Out of all that, I think I forgot to mention one, Bleach. Of course, that'd be the English sub'd one, not the English dubbed, if there is such a beast.

At this moment, I am constantly downloading and watching: Bleach, Naruto, M.A.R., & I've yet to finish the last episode of Fate-Stay Night. The rest I watched a long time ago, and love every one of 'em in varying degrees. Thus far, I really like Bleach. Of course, I love the Japanese voice actors, there is much more emotion in their voices than *most* American voice actors. The exception to American voice actors would be most, not all, of those hired by Disney and Pixar for their big screen pictures, and a fleeting few of Cartoon Network's... specifically the fellow who did Spike's voice in Cowboy Beebop, James Marsten. Just my humble opinion ;)

~ Jar

Just watched Midori no Hibi. Pretty good show. In fact, I think its the only show I've ever watched that had school based fighting in it. (And enjoyed.)

Leo and I watched 3/4 of the Escaflowne movie last night before I started to feel sleepy.

We'll finish it today.

I didn't like the Escaflowne movie. The characters and their motives are such a deep part of the TV series, are the main reason it is so loved. There's a real sense of a 'world' built around a lot of details and human feeling.

Then the movie goes and rewrites the entire world and every character from the ground up. Bascially, they have the same names, and that's it. There is no correlation to the original series or theme at all. Even the Escaflowne's nature is totally changed. Its just the names of the series' characters and places used in a totally unrelated universe.

It was very much a disappointment to anyone who grew to care about the original characters and their stories. I would've loved a revisiting of the world and people I already knew, instead of someone getting the idea that throwing that all away was a better plan.

But it -is- a pretty movie, I'll give it that.

Aye, I think that is a trend with anime movies, Pietero. I was a huge fan of the Utena series and the movie there had no relation to the series either, same with the Tenchi movies I think. I'm more of a fan of the actual series because so much more can happen. Movies are great to see once in awhile though since they allow for an alternate story.

Interesting! So I could, theoretically, really enjoy the movie characters, then watch the series and feel let down by it, basically the reverse? I guess they just explain it as an alternate take or alternate universe, or something...?

Back