Politics Attack on Abu Ghraib Prison

Jamison

Cadet
Insurgents attack Iraq's Abu Ghraib prison
Assault on jail results in 18 U.S. casualties, officials tell NBC NewsBREAKING NEWS
By Jim Miklaszewski
NBC News
Updated: 2:18 p.m. ET April 2, 2005

WASHINGTON-A group of 40 to 60 insurgents attacked the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq late Saturday in a well-coordinated assault that inflicted 18 American casualties, U.S. military officials told NBC News. 

The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity, could not immediately provide a breakdown on the number of dead or wounded.

The officials said the insurgents attacked with two car or truck bombs, 40 mortars and an intense ground assault.

U.S. forces in Iraq house many suspected insurgents at the prison outside Baghdad, which is at the center of a prison abuse scandal.

© 2005 MSNBC Interactive

Thought that this is very disturbing and interesting.

Isn't getting any attention in the news right now (and understandably so...may the Pope rest in peace).

But I do think that the news should mention it...right now msnbc is the only place covering it (and I've checked the bbc, cnn, fox news, ap, and al jazeera).

I don't understand how an assult like this could be carried out with this magnitude, and ignored by the media.

God, what a mess we've gotten ourselves into. I agree it is a big deal that an attack of this kind could take place, esp. in a place where the U.S. is supposed to be in "control."

ms.katejones said:
God, what a mess we've gotten ourselves into. I agree it is a big deal that an attack of this kind could take place, esp. in a place where the U.S. is supposed to be in "control."
[post="1286285"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Exactly. And they're projecting we'll be able to get almost all our troops out by March 2006...sadly, I don't see that happening.

wow I didnt hear about that until now! no surprise considering its not on other major networks, surprising that it isnt though! this really should be covered...

i read that if things are kept the way they are with iraq and current recruiting shortcomings, we'll be out of troops by mid 2006...and a draft might then be a must??? *sighs* look what we've gotten ourselves into...

Dude that is complete cynicality. How can you, as a person, as a privileged citizen of the United States say "better there than here"? It's our responsibility in the world to promote peace above anything else. It's our responsibility because we have the power in the world. Because we are the last remaining superpower. Because we have more influence upon the world than anyother nation in the history of mankind. What kind of message does it send to every citizen of the world when we form a national consensus, however small, that it's alright to condone war, that it's alright to condone one death for unjust reasons, American or Iraq? What kind of message does it send when any educated member of the most advanced society on the planet can claim that the deaths of 18 US soldiers and countless innocent Iraqs "is better there than here"? We have to move past this cynicality, this cold hearted tyrannical attitude that we carry around or else we will lose this War on Terrorism.

Do you want to fight the war on terrorism with compassion, or a more "sympathetic" war on terror???

You say that its our job to promote peace, and then attack the time trusted method of gaining peace: War.

How is it not better here than there???

We have to move past having any softness in our hearts, and any sympathy in any part of us or we will lose this war.

AliasHombre said:
Do you want to fight the war on terrorism with compassion, or a more "sympathetic" war on terror???

You say that its our job to promote peace, and then attack the time trusted method of gaining peace: War.
How is it not better here than there???

We have to move past having any softness in our hearts, and any sympathy in any part of us or we will lose this war.
[post="1299107"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Wouldn't it have been better if we hadn't gotten in this mess at all so it would've never happened?

Jamison said:
Wouldn't it have been better if we hadn't gotten in this mess at all so it would've never happened?
[post="1299130"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
the problem is that we were attacked first, i know not neccessarily by Iraq, but still, by people that he (saddam hussain) supported. And as much as i hate war and death, we're saving hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqi civilians who would've been misused by Saddam's soldiers.
and since no one else was stepping in to defend the innocent, we did.

Osiris said:
the problem is that we were attacked first, i know not neccessarily by Iraq, but still, by people that he (saddam hussain) supported.  And as much as i hate war and death, we're saving hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqi civilians who would've been misused by Saddam's soldiers.
and since no one else was stepping in to defend the innocent, we did.
[post="1302146"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
oh my god. when will this myth ever go away? Al Quaeda wasn't in Iraq until after the country was destabilized by war. Hussein had nothing to do with 9/11.

two, i'm all for defending the innocent. in fact, that's why i struggle so much with my views toward this war, because i like the fact that a truly horrible human being (and i'm being charitable by using the term 'human') was removed from power. after all, he committed a virtual genocide against the Kurds and brutally repressed the Shiites. however, lets be honest, this war was never about defending the innocent. if it was, then we would have gone into the Congo, into Darfur, into Saudi Arabia for crying out loud. there are many worse cases of human rights abuses around the world. Iraq has never been about human rights.

Back