Blank Sheet of Paper

Hi...I'm new to this board, noramlly i hang out over at sd-1.net under princessbobbi23, but since it's down i thought i would post this here. It's just part of something that i'm still working on. the first part is alot of summary but please let me know what you think and if i should continue.....Thanks!!

a/n the two songs listed in this are both by Tim McGraw from his
"Live like you were Dying" CD. This takes place during season 3, with a re-write.

Vaughn sat on his couch. Remembering sitting in this very place just a few months before….

He was home alone, sitting on the couch, Lauren wouldn’t be back until the next day. He was contemplating going back to the CIA. Lauren seemed to be fine with it when he brought it up in passing conversation. But how would she feel once he told her that Sydney was found alive. “Sydney” he said out loud. His memory went back to when he visited her
“I came by to see how you were”
“Are you kidding me?” She asked sarcastically
“No, I j..just wanted to make sure that you were…”
She cut him off
“You didn’t come here to see how I am you came here to see how you are. Cause you know in your heart what you did and you want to make sure you’re okay” she said angrily
“I buried you. Consider that for one se” He tried to explain holding back his real emotion
“Don’t use rational thought as a defense with me. Not after all you and I have seen. Vaughn you and I live and breath madness everyday on the job, there is no rational thought. I can’t even pretend to have a conversation with you about anything else. What it comes down to is faith. What I was hoping you would say is ‘Sydney I gave up, I gave up on us, I lost faith’ but what you came here for was closure. And there is not a chance you are getting that from me. I’m not gonna sympathize and tell you I understand how hard it must be for you but you wanna know how I am? I am horrible Vaughn. I am ripped apart, and not because I lost you, but because if it had been me….I would have waited. I would have found the truth and not given up on you. And now I realize what an absolute waste that would have been”

Vaughn took in a deep breath. The hate he saw in her eyes towards him was unbearable. But if he gave in, if he let that tear fall, it wouldn’t end. He had to be strong.

His mind jumped to the time in his classroom where she had come to visit him in his classroom and he told her he didn’t regret moving on. That was the lie to cover up the one truth he gave her that he loved her so much it almost killed him. Seeing her made him want her all over again. He almost had to remind himself who Lauren was.

The weeks had past quickly. He was restless. The more he worked with Sydney, the more he couldn’t get enough of her. He sat in front of the TV watching ESPN, his mind going back to what happened on the mission in North Korea.

. In Korea, she told him that she slept with Will. He looked over at her pausing…
“How am I suppose to react to that?” He asked. More rhetorically than anything.
“I don’t know. Any way you want to. I just want you to know that I’m moving on…”she explained.
He didn’t really know what her answer was to his question. It just kept repeating in his head…
“I slept with Will” he was so angry he wanted to throw the hood of the car down and scream at her. However he caught a glance at the wedding ring on his finger. That’s why he can’t honestly react to her statement Once they were captured he told her…everything. He loved her, she was the one. The only one in his life. But when they returned, he went back to Lauren. He practically ran into her arms. Sydney watched broken hearted, completely abandoned until she locked eyes with her father. The next day when he saw Sydney, Vaughn could see the coldness in her eyes towards him. He had to keep distant…for the sake of his marriage. He had made vows that he was suppose to keep. Vaughn wanted to fall apart. But he wouldn’t. He couldn’t. If he let go and cry he may never stop. Now, he sat with a blank piece of paper in front of him. Trying to think of something to say to her.

I’m just a blank sheet of paper
This fool’s about to write you a letter
To tell you that he’s sorry
For the way he did you wrong
To ask for your forgiveness
For leaving you alone

He’s been looking down at me
Seems like forever
He takes the top on and off his pen
It’s like he can’t decide
What he wants to say
If he’d just tell the truth
I’d be on my way

But he just stares at me
And I just stare at him
He don’t know where to start
To say he doesn’t want it to end
Now it’s one hour later
And I am still a blank sheet of paper

The sunlight coming through the curtains
He’s almost asleep pen in hand
There’s a tear in his eye
That refuses to fall
If it would land on me
That would say it all

But he just stares at me
And I just stare at him
To say he doesn’t want it to end
Now it’s four hours later
And I’m still a blank sheet of paper

Oh but he just stares at me
And I just state at him
To say he wants you back again
One broken heart later
And I am still a blank sheet paper

This was the end of it all for Sydney. Emotionally, she couldn’t take anymore of a beating. She had been through hell and was ready to give up. Walking into the office she noticed Lauren and Vaughn at his desk talking, a little to close for work professionalism. She hated the way she felt inside. She hated Lauren. Lauren noticed her and smiled. A smiling stating that Vaughn was back with her and would stay there. Another blow to Sydney. Sydney shook it off, and walked into Dixon’s office.
“Dixon?” She asked as she stepped in the door and heard it shut behind her.
“Sydney…yes? What can I do for you?” He asked smiling. He highly respected Sydney, as a co-worker and a person.
“I wanted to talk to you…I wanted to know if I could get reassigned to a new partner” she asked, her mind briefly going back to the fight with Vaughn in the plane just before their incident in North Korea.
“A new partner?” Dixon asked
“Yes, I just feel it would be best. Either a new partner here or somewhere else” she said smiling as best she could.
“Sydney I really don’t want to see you leave, so I will find someone for you here….are you doing okay?” he asked
“Yeah, I’m fine. Thank you Dixon.”

Later that evening Sydney got home, she was tired. Physically, Emotionally, Mentally. She felt all over the place. She had just sat down on the couch when there was a knock on the door. Walking over to open it she smiled at the person who greeted her. “Hey Weiss” she said as she let him in. Weiss stepped through and sat a pizza down on her counter. “Hey beautiful” he said facing her now. He could tell she was worn. “You doing okay?” he asked concerned. “Yeah. I’m good” she said forcing a smile before heading over to her cabinet to get a couple plates. “It’s okay to cry Syd. I’m on your side.” he said looking at her. “I know Eric…and that means more than you could know.” Before she could say anything else her phone rang. “Hello” she answered. Weiss watched her. “Hi Dixon….Yeah. So soon? …No, no that’s great. Thank you” she hung up the phone looking at it for a moment. “What was that about?” Weiss asked curiously. “Dixon has assigned me a new partner that will be coming in tomorrow” she explained. “Oh..” He answered.
“I..I can’t do it anymore Eric.” she explained.
“Sydney, I didn’t mean anything by it” he said
“I can’t work so close to him and know I can’t ever go back to what I had. It’s a constant reminder.”
“I know Syd.” he said now holding her close as she cried.

The next day everyone was seated around the debriefing table when Dixon walked in with another agent. He was tall, sandy blonde hair, and a smile that could make any girl melt. Dixon went over the latest briefing, and before finishing up he introduced the new agent..
“And I’d like you all to welcome Grant Avery. He’s transferring from D.C. He’ll be Sydney’s new partner…that’s all we’ve got” he said straightening his papers. “Sydney, Grant could you stay for a second” he requested before everyone got out of their chairs.
Vaughn could literally feel his blood boiling when Dixon stated Sydney had a new partner. “How dare she just go and” he thought as he shot Grant an evil glance.
“Are you coming darling?” Lauren asked standing beside him
“Yeah” he said getting up. “I’ll be right back” he said as the got out the door. If anyone would have information on this it would be Weiss. Walking over to his desk Vaughn tried to cool down. “Hey man” he said. Weiss looked up “Hey Buddy” he greeted knowing exactly what Vaughn wanted. “Do you know anything about Syd’s new partner?” he asked. “No” Weiss answered simply.
“She didn’t even tell me she was requesting a new partner. I can’t believe her” he complained.
“Vaughn…think about what she’s been through. What you’ve both been through. Maybe she figured this was the only way” Weiss tried to reason.
“Still…” Vaughn started but was interrupted by Lauren
“Sorry to interrupt, I wanted know if you wanted to go get some Lunch Michael” she asked
“I need to get some paper work done” he explained, his mind elsewhere.
“Michael…it won’t take long” she asked again
“Lauren, I …” he paused as he saw Sydney and Grant walk out of the briefing room talking. “Okay” he agreed.

Sydney and Grant hit it off completely. It was like they were old friends just hanging out. Even though missions were difficult, she had fun when she was with him. They were on a mission to meet with some suppliers for the Covenant, they were told they’d be at a party but there was no sight of them. “I say we invoke the five minute rule” Grant said after they’d been there for almost an hour and a half
“The five minute rule?” Sydney asked raising her eyebrow
“Yeah…From right now we give them five minutes. If they don’t show up we leave and grab a bite to eat” he said trying to hold back a smile.
“Okay. Sounds like a plan” she replied laughing.

Five minutes went by and they were still a no show. Grant and Sydney went to a local restaurant that served burgers and fries.
“I was so hungry” Grant commented as he began to eat his hamburger.
“Really?” Sydney questioned sarcastically. “I think I heard your stomach growling all the way here”
“We waited too long” he laughed.
The spent the rest of the evening talking about their lives. She opened up to him about her past.
“So, you and Agent Vaughn were an item?” he questioned.
“Yeah. Then I was kidnapped by the Covenant and they thought I was dead so he got married” she replied.
“To Lauren” he stated
“Yep” she said looking down at her food.
“She seems so snotty and she’s not all that cute” he commented noticing Sydney’s change
She laughed and looked up. “At least I’m not the only one with that opinion.” she said smiling.
They went on talking, she told him about what happened in North Korea which led to her requesting a new partner.
“I’m so sorry Syd. That’s really rotten. But I am glad that I get to be your partner” he smiled
“Me Too” she said looking back up at him.

They walked into the briefing room the next day and saw Lauren and Vaughn talking. Lauren had her hand on Vaughn’s neck playing with his hair. Dixon, Jack and Marshall weren’t in the room yet. Grant cleared his throat to let them know someone else was in the room. Lauren didn’t seem to care though. Vaughn moved back slightly. Grant leaned over and whispered to Sydney “What the hell is she wearing? Did someone not tell me it’s cool to get dressed in the dark here?” he asked. Sydney stifled a laugh. With Grant she could make fun of Lauren or even Vaughn if she needed to. She couldn’t do that so much with Eric because she knew that he was friends with Vaughn and would never ask him to choose sides. As they walked out of the briefing in front of Lauren and Vaughn, Grant asked if she’d like to grab a bite to eat.
“Um…Sure, I’m kinda hungry” she said looking over at him
“Great…hey, I’ll drive” he said grinning widely.
None of this was lost on Vaughn who went do his desk and watched as Sydney left with Grant. It took everything inside him not to say anything.
“Um” was all Sydney could get out as they walked towards Grant’s ride
“Here’s your helmet” he said smiling “Don’t worry, you’re suppose to look goofy”
“I…uh..” she laughed
“Don’t tell me you’ve never been on a bike” he teased
“I can do this” she said grabbing the helmet. “And I don’t look goofy” she smiled widely
“That you don’t” he said agreeing as he hopped on the bike, Sydney right behind him.

They went to lunch and ran through a Lauren bashing, it was a therapy of sorts for Sydney. Getting back they walked into the office still chatting away. Vaughn was over at Weiss’ desk as he saw Sydney and Grant walk in. “I looked cute in the helmet!” Sydney teased as they walked towards her desk. “You looked dead sexy in the helmet” Grant teased back. “Damn right” Sydney said as she sat down and laughed. “I gotta get some work done, some of us can’t play like you all day” Grant joked. “Don’t hate the player…hate the game” Sydney said as she turned on the computer still laughing.
“Somebody is in an excellent mood” Weiss chimed in as Grant walked away. Sydney just looked up and smiled. As she noticed Vaughn beside him her smile faded. “What’s this about a helmet?” Weiss asked.
“Grant and I went to lunch…he has a bike and we rode it to the restaurant” she explained. “I see…so now you’re Biker Spy Barbie” Weiss joked, cracking himself up. Unnoticed to him Vaughn walked back to his desk.

The weeks went on, the more he was with Lauren, the more she annoyed him. He wasn’t sure any longer why he married her. The fact the Sydney was spending more and more time with Grant drove Vaughn up a wall. Running with Weiss, he admits that he’s unhappy with Lauren. He feels lost.

Now, he is back ‘home’ with Lauren. He had told her a couple nights before at dinner that this wasn’t working out. He wanted a separation. She was upset. He was sorry but relieved. He told Sydney, and they were so close to reconciling. They were going to meet for coffee. His heart jumped at the thought. Then…Lauren’s father died. He felt it was only right for him to stay with her. He promised her another go at their marriage. He walked into the bathroom and called Sydney on his cell. The sound of her voice gave away her heartbreak. She was crying…He wanted to run to her. But he couldn’t. He stepped out of the door and got back into bed with Lauren. Staring into the dark, he laid there numb.

Sydney hung up with Vaughn and called Grant.
“Hello?” Grant answered the phone.
“Hey…” she replied
“Sydney. Are you okay?”
“I’m fine… I just needed to talk”
“I’ll be over in a second” Grant said

Not too long later he showed up at her door. She answered her face still tear stained. “Oh Syd” he said embracing her. “He…He went back to her” she said crying. They sat on the couch as Sydney sat with him and cried. Grant held her, wishing he could give Vaughn a piece of his mind. Sydney eventually dosed off in arms….

“I don’t know why he does what he does
Finding lost and found with your love
Trying to confuse you
Use you
Girl he’s gonna lose you
Sure enough

Don’t know why he says all those things
Always shooting down your dreams
He oughta know better than that
He oughta be watching his back
Cause you know you know

Girl I love the shine in your eyes
If only just for a moment
Girl I’d be satisfied
If I could only touch your cheek
Maybe that’s all I need
To make my life complete
Cause girl I can make you smile
If you knew that I was here
Wishing I could just be your tear

I don’t know why he can’t find the words
Saying all the things you deserve
Girl if it was me there
I swear
You know you wouldn’t have to feel so unsure
About what tomorrow would bring
Girl you know I’d give everything
If I could just hold you like him
If I could be more than just friends
Cause you know
You know

Girl I love the shine in your eyes
If only just for a moment
Girl I’d be satisfied
If I could only touch your cheek
Maybe that’s all I need
To make my life complete
Cause girl I can make you smile
If you knew that I was here
Wishing I could just be your tear

He held her tightly, wishing she was his. He hated Vaughn for doing this to her. Didn’t he know what he had? He wasn’t one to encourage divorce but he didn’t know why Vaughn seemed to mess with Sydney’s heart. What he did know though, was he was willing to pick up the pieces.

Sydney awoke, taking her a moment to remember the night before. Grant felt her stir and woke up. Wiping his eyes he yawned and he saw her sitting up on the couch. “Good Morning Sunshine” he said with a small chuckle. “Good Morning…”She replied “I’m so sorry” she said getting up and walking towards the kitchen. “For what?” he asked “Last night….my breakdown…I should know better. I was never one of those girls. And here I am waiting on Vaughn to leave his wife and come back to me” she said shaking her head. “Sydney, this isn’t your average situation” he tried to console.
“You know what’s funny?” she asked as she made some coffee.
“What?” he asked
“When Vaughn and I were first working together and we had feelings for each other that neither one of us wanted to admit…he was dating a girl named Alice. They didn’t really get along anymore it was apparently about comfort” she explained. “Then just after he broke up with her, her father died and he went back” she laughed as she started to cry. “Bizarre hu?”
Grant walked over and wrapped his arms around her just holding her. “I say we call in sick today” he said
She pulled back and looked up at him “We can’t do that?”
“Why not? Are they gonna fire us?” he asked sitting on a stool
She stood there for a moment…
“You’re right.” she said grabbing the phone.

“You’re going down Bristow!!” Grant said as he tried to find her while playing laser tag
“I am an expert CIA agent….I’m not going down” she stated confidently
He turned around to see her right behind him where she had him tagged.
“I don’t like this game” he said giving up
“You’re such a sore loser” She teased
“No I’m not…but its there anything you’re not good at?” he asked
“Um….let me think…” she joked. Grant rolled his eyes. “Nope, nothing I can think of” she said patting his chest as she walked by.

The next day they headed back to work, Grant met Sydney at Weiss’ desk where she was chatting. “Briefing’s about to start” he warned. “How’s it going man?” Weiss asked as they made their way to the briefing room. “Good..” he replied glancing at Sydney. “Syd and I are gonna grab a bite to eat after this, wanna come?” he asked knowing it would make Sydney happy, plus he thought Weiss was cool. “Yeah, that sounds good” Weiss replied as they stepped into the room.

During the briefing Dixon explained that Sydney and Grant would go undercover as a couple moving into a subdivision to locate Samuel Kravin, as associate of Sark. Vaughn interrupted, “I think that I would be better suited for this mission since I am more familiar with Sark than Agent Avery”
“I’m perfectly capable of handling Sark….or anyone else for that matter” Grant commented.
“What I’m saying is, I have a lot vested into Sark, I’ve handled a lot of these missions” Vaughn fired back. In reality he didn’t care what the mission was about but he didn’t want Grant spending a week with Sydney.
“Okay Vaughn, since I agree you do have a lot vested into this, you’ll go” Dixon stated. “See Marshall for the additional security details.”
Grant looked over at Sydney, she had her poker face on.
Vaughn went directly to Marshall’s station where Sydney met them. She smiled at Marshall as he explained all the gadgets.
After Marshall finished, he had to run another errand, Sydney turned to Vaughn. “What the hell was that?” she asked low and angry
“What are you talking about?” he asked picking up one of Marshall’s gadgets.
“You being put on this mission Vaughn. We agreed that we wouldn’t work together any longer” She said moving closer to him, her voice still low and very angry.
“Sydney you went behind me and requested a new partner! We didn’t agree to anything” he said now looking directly at her.
“That’s bull and you know it. On the plane to North Korea we agreed that one of us had to request a change” she reminded him.
“That was before..” he started
That completely send Sydney off the edge. She stepped even closer to him “Before what Vaughn? Before you tell me that I am everything to you and then run back to your wife as soon as we land? “ She asked tears threatening to fall from her eyes. “How soon we forget” she said before walking away.

Vaughn wanted to run after her, take her into his arms and kiss her. He wanted to say he was sorry. “Syd” he started to walk towards her when Grant got there first. “Hey…You okay?” he asked concerned. “Yeah, I’m fine.” Sydney answered . Vaughn came up behind them, “Sydney can I talk to you for a second?” he asked. Sydney started to turn around when Grant interrupted. “I think I heard your WIFE calling you” he said as he stared at Vaughn. “Why don’t you stay hell out of this?” Vaughn asked
“Why don’t you stay the hell away from her? If you can’t get what you need from your wife I suggest therapy” he shot back. “You Bastard” Vaughn said ready to take Grant outside. “Hey” Sydney stated moving them apart as walked taking Grant with her. Just in time Weiss walked up. “Hey are we gonna eat? I’m starving” He asked oblivious to the situation. “Yeah! Let’s go” Sydney commented taking Grant by the arm.

Sydney, Grant and Weiss sat at the table joking, telling old stories. Grant got up to pay the bill with the cashier. “He’s really nice” Weiss commented looking at Sydney. “Don’t look at me like that Eric, we’re just friends” she stated mater of factly. “I didn’t say anything.” he chuckled. “But you insinuated” she said taking another drink of her Coke. “It’s not like it’d be awful” he replied trying to encourage her to follow her heart if it was taking her there. “Ok…You guys ready?” Grant asked approaching the table. “Yeah” they replied in unison.

They got back to the office and Grant hung out by Sydney’s desk. She would be leaving in the next few minutes. Vaughn approached them to let her know it was time to go. She got up from her chair, and Grant stood also. Taking her hand, “Hey Syd” he said as she looked over at him. “If you need ANYTHING at all, I’m here for you” he said as he kissed her forehead. “Thanks” she replied hugging him. Vaughn felt nauseated just watching. Sydney walked past Vaughn to head out. Grant stopped Vaughn for a moment, “You upset her or hurt her in any way and so help me God you will regret it” he stated firmly. “Is that a threat?” Vaughn asked angry. Grant laughed “It’s a promise”

omg i love this!!! am i a bad person to kinda, maybe, a little bit, might consider, perhaps becoming grant/syd?? i mean i've always been s/v but i love grant! he's so sweet! but i still want s/v, but i dunno, i'm so confused....can i get a pm when u update? thanks

ooooooooooooo i like this so far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can i plz get a pm when u update????

Lolz.... i hope this has a happy s/v ending!!!!

Aly xx

I like this
Vaughn wouldn't hurt Sydney on purpose
Except during S3 when he was a complete jerk at the begining
Can I get a PM please?
Update again soon

hmmm...I totally want this to end up Grant/Syd too but maybe S/V a little also! But Grant is so sweet and he likes her...and Vaughn is married and being a jerk. hmmm.. Either way I'd love a PM! Can't wait to see what happens!

Kate

“You upset her or hurt her in any way and so help me God you will regret it” he stated firmly. “Is that a threat?” Vaughn asked angry. Grant laughed “It’s a promise”

:jaw: oh no!! he just threatened Vaughn!! :eek: lol but i kinda like Grant, he seems nice! :smiley:

can't wait for Sydney and Vaughn's mission!!!! ^_^

can i be added to the pm list please? :P

Lianne 🦋

Ooo this looks interesting. I am also leaning towards being more in favor of Grant/Syd than typical S/V. Cuz Grant sounds wicked cute and Vaughn's pretty much acting like a first class jerk. As is Lauren, per usual. But at least Syd as Weiss and Grant. Will there be any SpyDaddy in this story? Hmmm...just have to wait and see. Could you PM me please? Thanx. :D

- Meg

Back