The Morning Paper

Title: The Morning Paper
Author: Riley (me)
Rating: PG/PG-13 to be on the safe side. Nothing graphic...
Spoilers: Um, none. It's AU
Genre: Romance, angst, sadness
Ships: S/N (Syd and Nick) at the beginning, and S/V by the end ;)
Summary: In a abusive relationship Sydney can't get out of, is there anyone that can save her before it's too late?
Disclaimer: I do not own any characters that are related to Alias. They are owned by JJ Abrams, Bad Robot, ABC, etc. I do however own, Jessica, Nick and other original characters.
Extra Note: This is completely AU. No CIA. No Danny (as of yet). No SD-6..nothing. Just life as normal people. :smiley:

Fan Fic Poster (by me with Bad Karma's textures):
tmpposter.jpg

Authors Note (Please read):
I got the inspiration to write this story from a very dear friend. We were talking about fics, and this idea sprang to mind. Many of you have heard of it. Please, just give it a chance. It may not seem, fluffy or romancey right now. That's because what Sydney is dealing with is serious. And unfortunately, it happens to people everyday. Please, please, give the first chapter a chance. And please review. I mean, just the littlest thing, to tell me that you like it...it will mean so much. I'm scared to death to post this. But my wonderful beta, Spirit, and dear friends, Sher and Laur, convinced me that it was/would be wonderful. I must warn it, it can get really, really sad. I've cried alot writing this chapters. Butdon't let that stop you from reading. You'll like where I'm going...I hope. I think that's it. So please R/R.

Chapter 1: No One to Help

Sydney Bristow awoke on another monotonous Monday morning. She didn’t want to get out of her cozy, warm nest. She rolled over wondering if Nick, her boyfriend was home. His side of the bed was empty. It was mornings like these that getting the morning paper was a joy. She didn’t have to worry about getting back in time for Nick not to worry and she could do whatever she wanted. She put on some running clothes and walked downstairs to the spot where the paper boy put the papers. She picked up hers and waited for her neighbor, Michael Vaughn to come down. It was almost habit by now to sit and wait for him. They would always say hi or complain about the landlord together. During her three years of living here, they’d become distant friends. Finally she saw him coming down the hall.

“Hey,” Vaughn said bending down to get his paper.

“Hi,” Sydney said leaning against a tree stretching. “Feel like joining me on a run?”

“Sure. I don’t have to be to work for a bit anyways,” he said joining her warm up.

“Do you even like your job?” Sydney asked as she did some lunges toward the parking lot.

Vaughn gave her a puzzled look, “What do you mean do I like my job?”

“Do you like going to an office all day?” she asked one more time looking at him this time.

“Yeah, I mean sure. It’s not the best thing in the world, but its ok,” he said leaning his leg against the tree.

Sydney just looked at him. He wasn’t doing something he loved. He was just doing what his father wanted him to do. Sydney just shook her head. She had heard the story many, many times. “Vaughn, why do you take all the felgercarb from your dad? Why don’t you do what you want to do?”

“Helping my dad at the firm is what I want to do,” he stated in a rather unconvincing voice.

“Vaughn! I know you don’t like it,” she squealed beginning to take off.

“Well, I have food, clothes and a place to live don’t I?” he retorted following her closely.

“So? Shouldn’t you at least like what you do?” she breathed running faster. Sydney waited for him to say something but he just kept running without saying anything about what she just said. He never did. She tried to pry deeper and deeper into his problems, but it always ended the same way. Vaughn would just close up like a turtle going into his shell. And then, any hope to know more what lost. So she decided to do what she always did, change the subject.

---***---

After an hour of jogging they ended up in front of the same giant oak tree. Sydney leaned against the tree to catch her breath.

“Good jog,” she said walking back around the building up to her apartment. She had tried to hide her pain this morning. As she walked up the stairs, she winced in pain. She opened her apartment door and keeled over crying. Last night had been horrible for her. It all started at dinner when the waiter started to hit on her. She didn’t think much of it because it happened quite frequently. But Nick had cared, a lot. So on the car ride home, Nick started yelling at her.

*Flashback*
“Syd, you know I hate it when people do that you!” Nick screamed as drove speedily home in the rain.

“Nick, I already said I was sorry for not telling him to shut up. It won’t happen again,” she said wiping the tears off her cheeks.

“You’re bet it won’t happen again,” he said under his breath.
*End of Flashback*

But as the night progressed, Nick just got worse and worse. He had gotten himself drunk on scotch, and got even madder when she decided to go to bed instead of stay up to be with him.

*Flashback*
“Honey, come on,” Nick pleaded as he leaned against her side of the bed.

“No,” she said groggily.

“Fine, be that way,” he retorted walking around to the other side of the bed. He took his cigarette out of his mouth and pulled up Sydney’s shirt. He placed the burning side on her back and found sick pleasure in watching her suffer.
*End of Flashback*

Sydney couldn’t bear to remember anymore. She didn’t want to think of the pain in her legs and arms from him sitting and punching her all night. This whole thing was getting old. But she couldn’t stop it. He had made countless threats that if she ever told anyone that he’d hurt the people that she held dear the most. She remembered the first night it happened…

*Flashback*
“Why, Nick why? You move in and expect me to sit here and let me let you do this to me?” she cried grabbing her coat.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you,” Nick had warned.

“Why shouldn’t I just march down the police station and get the help I deserve? Or why can’t I go to Francie’s house and just cry and let her call the police for me?” she cried even more.

“Because I’ll just hurt them like I hurt you. And if they run and tell someone, they can have it just as bad,” he threatened in a sincere voice.

Sydney’s eyes got darker and in her most menacing voice she questioned, “What happened to the days when you’d do NICE things for me? And what happened the Nick that LOVED me? Do you think that this a way to say that you love me? Do you enjoy getting drunk and then hurting me?”

“Sweetie, I’m only doing this because I love you,” Nick said stroking her cheek.

“How dare you say that? How can you say that you love me when you’re hurting me? Do you comprehend this? You’re hurting me Nicholas. Do you know what it feels like to be beaten with a bat?” she pried and tried to defend herself.

Nick just shot her look, and threw his whiskey glass at her and went to bed. She sat up crying all night knowing very well his threats were true.
*End of Flashback*

Sydney got up the strength to go to her bedroom. She just sat on her bed, curled up and cried herself back to sleep. She had no one that truly knew how she felt. And no one could help her. No one.

GO RILEY! You posted it!

And already three people are reading it!

It looks like I'm not going to have to bring that camera to dance afterall.

Reading BC then reading this :D

----

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

That was wonderful! Very realistic! I already want to tie Nick up and beat the living s**t out of him!!! :angelic: May I?

She needs to tell someone *cough*Vaughn*cough* what he is doing to her. They're neighbors, right? So maybe he hears her??

PLEEEEEEEEEASE update soon!! :Please:

I love this so much already!!

You're a wonderful writer! :notworthy:

Thank you sooooo much for posting this! I don't think I'm going to have to freak out at dance (more than usual) and make a fool of myself!
:D

PM me pleeeeeeease!!!!

xO laur

Awwww, how sad! Her boyfriend is so cruel. Can't wait till Vaughn can save the day, hehe. Add me to your pm list and great start!

Riley, I am glad you posted this cause it does happen a lot and people need to know about it. Great start. Pm me please when you update. Thanks...

OMV! 7 responses in less than an a half hour. :thud:
You are all so kind. :hug: And yes, this happens too much. It shouldn't happen at all. Verbal abuse is just as bad. No one should have to put up with such felgercarb. -_-

PM List (10)
LaurenRachael
luckylass
KAliasGirl
texasalias2004
i'm an aliasaholic
PoketRockets11
sydneymicheal
broe4ever929
SkyGirl5
noggi16
freckles3706

:group:

Riley xoxo

omg riley!!! its sooooooooooooooo GOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
nick is an ass hole - please make sure he dies a horrid death in the not so distant future :angelnot:
but this is such a good start!!
please PM me when u update

That is so sad! Maybe since Vaughn is her hot, friendly neighbor, who happens to be a lawyer can help her out! ;)

Great chapter! Update soon!

Megan

Oh yeah, add me to the PM list! Thanks

PM List (14)
LaurenRachael
luckylass
KAliasGirl
texasalias2004
i'm an aliasaholic
PoketRockets11
sydneymicheal
broe4ever929