Drama Brokeback Mountain

I think they are a strong contender in winning for:
Best Supporting Actress- Motion Picture - did not win

possibly might win:
Best Motion Picture- Drama - they won
Best Actor- Motion Picture Drama did not win
Best Director- Motion Picture Ang Lee did win

not likely to win:
Best Original Screenplay (only because Crash is also nominated in this category) the film won
Best Original Score - did not win
Best Original Song - the song did win

Overall rating: 3 stars out of 4

4 Golden Globes out of 7 ... (y)

Wow, I don't remember reading that back in December, but what you said then, Charlie, is quite insightful. It really does explain their love and how it isn't completely fulfilled.

And I hope too that the Golden Globe win will get more people to see the movie.
I didn't post it on AllAlias -- it was on my personal LiveJournal :smiley:

I'm so happy that they won!
And I personally believe that the movie is a LOVE STORY since well, the cast, director, critics and screen writers describe it as one and I agree with them. Heath's character doesn't want to be w/ Jake because he was afraid since he saw what happened to a man that was simply accused of being gay. Let's face it, the time frame where the movie takes place was not an ideal time for gays to come out. The violence in the film shows this.

Jack is the optimist and an idealist in the relationship...more like lack thereof. He is willing to put himself out there, be who is and have a serious relationship, despite the fact that he knows how dangerous it would be. Ennis on the other hand, doesn't want to take that risk because he was really affected by what happened to that man who was allegedly gay. He would have rather lived a lie than risk his life by showing the world who he is, a gay man. Yet, he couldn't "choose" to stop being in love with Jake which is why they had their little "fishing trips". I truly believe that if they could have "chosen" to get over one another they could have. Their lives would have been so much easier. As the tag line said, "Love is a force of nature". It cannot be predicted and it has no bounds
i agree with this totally

but notice how everytime Ennis moves in the direction to accepting, he defaults on his job as an excuse not to follow what he is feeling deep down inside?

obviously Jack came to terms with who he was, which was his demise
in my opinion ennis doesn't want to be close to anyone because he's scared of who he is. the job is often is excuse, but not the reason.

It is finally coming to my local theater at school this Friday. I cannot wait! Now I just have to convince my boyfriend to take me.

I'm not going to put this in spoiler codes, because this is a thread to talk about the movie...so consider this your warning if you don't want to be spoiled :smiley:

I absolutely adored this movie. It was everythig I thought/hoped it would be and so very very much more. The acting was brilliant and so was the directing. This should certainly win the majority of the Oscars it is nominated for.

There seems to have been some disagreement about whether this is a love story or about putting your career first. To me, the answer is simple. This is without a doubt a love story. Yes, career plays a part, but then again not really. The reason Ennis puts his career before Jack and before his family is because of situations he's uncomfortable with. He obviously cared very much for Jack, but got scared and worried about where the relationship was heading, when these thoughts came over him he would give an excuse as to why they couldn't meet sooner. The same goes for him almost saying he'd miss his daughter's wedding at the end. He feels uncomfortable going to the wedding where his ex-wife is going to be, and feels uncomfortable just being a part of it all. He catches himself doing this though and decides that yes he should attend his daughter's wedding.

This movie was about two people who loved each other so much, but just couldn't be together and that was absolutely heartbreaking. They forced themselves into marriages with not a lot of love to be "normal". Ennis knew what happened to "gay cowboys" and was afraid of having the same thing happen to himself. Jack was more romantic in that sense, he didn't care about people knowing the kind of life he lived.

I was very impressed with Heath Ledger's acting, and I had no trouble understanding his accent and thought he did very well doing such a specific accent given that he's not even American. He was a man of few words, but his expressions gave way to his emotions.

I was also pleasantly surprised with Jake Gyllenhaal. I'm a huge fan of his (and have a huge crush), but I had heard he was quite a secondary character. While that's true to an extent, he really did do an amazing job showing the love he felt for Ennis. I was very much impressed.

Michelle Williams did quite a good job playing the heartbroken wife, even given her limited screen time. You could really feel her pain come through, and that was very impressive to me. You'd have a hard time not sympathizing with her, especially after she kept going with the marriage long after she knew the real purpose behind the "fishing trips".

I really can't say much about Anne Hathaway, because she didn't have much screentime. But I do think she did her character justice. Obviously Laureen is supposed to be a rather demanding insensative person (to an extent) and Anne did a good job of showing that. As someone who has only seen her in The Princess Diaries, I enjoyed seeing her play a character with a little more grit. I also don't think the topless scene was out of place. She was practically forcing herself on Jack and they were about to have sex in the back of her dad's car...it fit with the situation and her character.

I really don't have anything bad to say about this movie. I thought it was probably one of the most beautiful and heartbreaking love stories I have ever seen. I cried heavily at the end (though, in all fairness, I cry in a lot of movies).

I know that I've left things out and I'm sure I could think of a lot more to say, but I think this about sums it up for now.

I definitely give it 5 out of 5 stars.

So, I had to post this parody of the trailer! It uses clips from the american version of "The office" and no, none of the clips are altered. It seems like Steve Carell's character is taken with BJ Novak's lol

Here it is click

Ok, so when I heard about the movie and being in love with the two stars, I wanted to read the short story first. A little graphic but by the end of it when Ennis foud their shirts in Jack's closet, I was crying. And then in the movie when we see how he reversed the shirts, just thinking about it makes me sad again. It was such a wonderful movie, not just the story but also all of the acting. It's something that stays with you forever. I did laugh however, when Jack said "high-altitude f***." I don't know, in the context it just sounded hilarious.

Anyway, The movie was perfect!