Carnivale

V

verdantheart

I'm starting this topic about the new HBO series, Carnivale, debuting 9/14 (Sunday, 9 pm E -- *sigh!* what else! Isn't everything in that time slot?. But, hey, I have two recorders, and some of us (like me :D ) get both E and W HBO . . . but I digress . . .)

Anyway! I saw some really interesting spots for it and Ron Moore (that's Ronald D Moore, from Star Trek: DS9) is involved! It looks really promising. The cinematography alone--!!! It's set in a depression-era carnival. Here's their summary:

1934. The Dustbowl. The last great age of magic. In a time of titanic sandstorms, drought and pestilence - signs of God's fury and harbingers of the Apocalypse - the final conflict between good and evil is about to begin. The battle will take place in the Heartland of an empire called America. And when it is over, man will forever trade away wonder for reason. Don't miss the premiere of Carnivale on September 14th at 9:30 PM ET!

They have a web site set up already. I'm going to take a look. I'll let you know what I think.

Anyone else looking forward to this?
;)

Just saw a preview on HBO. This is now definitely my most anticipated new series of the season! A real supernatural series with a real battle between good and evil. The production values are beyond first-rate! The look is really 30s and the carnival looks incredibly atmospheric and creepy.

A lot of the characters seem to have supernatural talents, including the good (a boy who seems to have repressed healing or other powers), the evil (?) (a preacher, who they showed making coins spew forth from a woman's mouth), a fortune teller (who reads Tarot cards by channelling the talents of her gypsy-queen mother, who is comatose), and a blind mentalist. And of course they showed the usual carny denizens of a dwarf (who seems to run it), bearded lady, reptile man, Siamese (yes, I know it's supposed to be "conjoined," but this is the 30s, remember?) twins, and hootchy girls.

The effects look first rate (they have one where they enter the Tarot cards). It looks amazing.
;)

I so cant wait for this it looks so very good

here is some more info and for all the Nick Stahl fan you have to watch this

1934. The Dust Bowl. The last great age of magic. In a time of titanic sandstorms, drought and pestilence - all signs of God's fury and harbingers of the Apocalypse - the final conflict between good and evil is about to begin. The battle will take place in the Heartland of an empire called America. And when it is over, man will forever trade away wonder for reason.

Debuting on HBO this September, CARNIVÀLE follows a traveling carnival as it wends its way across the Dust Bowl, focusing on a mysterious young fugitive with hidden talents who is taken in by the carnival, and on the charismatic, shadowy evangelist who will ultimately cross his path. The 12-episode dramatic series takes place at a time of worldwide unrest, with evil on the rise around the globe and the Great Depression wreaking economic and social havoc here at home.

As they become aware of their abilities, Ben and Brother Justin find themselves wrenched from their lives to realize that the world they thought the knew -- this tenuous, prosaic reality shared by humankind -- is actually a chessboard upon which is played the ancient conflict between Light and Darkness, and they are key players in the battle.

In addition to Nick Stahl ("In the Bedroom," "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines") and Clancy Brown ("The Shawshank Redemption"), cast regulars on CARNIVALE include Michael J. Anderson ("Twin Peaks") as Samson, who runs the show for Management; Adrienne Barbeau ("Escape from New York") as Ruthie, the maternal figure of the carnival, as well as the snake charmer and mother to the strong man; Patrick Bauchau ("The Cell") as Lodz, the mentalist who can see into the future and the past; Debra Christofferson ("Seraglio") as Lila, the carnival's bearded lady; Tim DeKay ("Swordfish") as Jones, Samson's right-hand man and the rousty manager; Clea DuVall (HBO's "The Laramie Project"), as Sofie, the tarot card reader and medium for her comatose mind-reader mother Apollonia, played by Diane Salinger (HBO's "Curb Your Enthusiasm"); John Fleck ("Star Trek: Enterprise") as Gecko, deformed with a rare condition that makes his skin lizard-like; Amy Madigan ("HBO's Laramie Project"), as Brother Justin's loyal sister Iris; Karyne Steben ("Cirque du Soleil: Saltimbanco") and Sarah Steben ("Cirque du Soleil: Saltimbanco") as Siamese twins Alexandria and Caladonia; Brian Turk ("American Pie 2") as Gabriel, the strong man. The carnival's burlesque family consists of the emcee father Stumpy, played by Toby Huss ("Beyond the City Limits"); mother Rita Sue, played by Cynthia Ettinger ("Thirteen"); and daughters Dora Mae, played by Amada Aday ("Meat Loaf: To Hell and Back"), and Libby, played by Carla Gallo ("Undeclared").

CARNIVÀLE directors include Jack Bender ("The Lone Ranger," HBO's "The Sopranos"), Rodrigo Garcia (HBO's "Six Feet Under" and "The Sopranos"), Tim Hunter ("River's Edge"), Alison MacLean (HBO's "Sex and the City"), Peter Medak ("The Krays"), John Patterson (HBO's "Six Feet Under"), Jeremy Podeswa (HBO's "Six Feet Under" and "The Wire") and Scott Winant ("The West Wing").

Writers on the series include Henry Bromell ("Northern Exposure"), Toni Graphia ("Roswell"), Daniel Knauf ("Wolf Lake"), Ronald D. Moore ("Star Trek: The Next Generation"), Dawn Prestwich ("Ally McBeal") and Nicole Yorkin ("Judging Amy"), and William Schmidt ("Prey").

CARNIVALE is created by Daniel Knauf; executive produced by Ronald D. Moore, Daniel Knauf and Howard Klein; co-executive producers, Nicole Yorkin & Dawn Prestwich, Gregg Fienberg and David Knoller; supervising producers, William Schmidt and Dan Hassid; producer, Anthony Santa Croce; consulting producers, Toni Graphia and Steve Oster.

Ooh . . . Roush review (9/1/03):

~~~~
(caption)
Enter if you dare: Anderson opens a gate to dark fantasy

FREAKS AND EEKS

HBO's Sideshow of Seductive Creepiness

By Matt Roush

Step right up to Carnivale — but only if you have an appetite for one of the weirdest, spookiest and most hypnotizing mind benders since Twin Peaks.

Delivering much more than a carnival barker's tease, this grim supernatural allegory is HBO's latest appointment-TV drama on Sunday night (it premieres September 14).

A dark fable set in the Depression-era Dust Bowl, the 12-episode series feels as if John Steinbeck and Stephen King had collaborated on a hybrid of The Grapes of Wrath and The Stand.

The story contrasts two men blessed — or cursed — with spiritual gifts. Ben (Nick Stahl) is a chain-gang fugitive with the ability to heal who's adopted by a traveling carnival of misfits. His apparent nemesis, Brother Justin (Clancy Brown), is a tormented evangelist with deadly powers of persuasion who ministers to desperate migrant workers.

Ben and Justin can see each other in their nightmares, and it's clear they are fated to meet. But no rush. Getting there is the fun.

Exquisitely and moodily photographed, Carnivale is most compelling when it follows Ben and his bizarre new family of sideshow eccentrics, led by diminutive Samson (Michael J. Anderson, Peaks' backward-speaking dwarf).

As the carnies drift through a land of poverty, offering exotic and decadent distraction, Ben seeks answers about his mystical purpose and cloudy past.

Whether we'll ever figure it all out is beside the point. In Carnivale, the dark is a magical place to be.
~~~~
I am so looking forward to this! Maybe the new season won't be a total bummer after all.
;)

I totally want to see this show but unfortunately, we don't get HBO in Canada, so I have to hope that one of our stations pick it up.

ReaperMason said:
But only 12 episodes?  Ever?
That's for the first season (I don't see how they could possibly do this story in 12 episodes!). Hopefully it will be successful and HBO will renew it! :smiley:

(I really like it so far after seeing 2 episodes. It's really interesting and shows enough of the mystery to pull you in.)

The half-season closer for Sex and the City made the debut of Carnivale the biggest series opener ever for HBO. Thanks for the clever scheduling! Here's the article from zap2it:

'Carnivale' Debut Benefits from 'Sex'
(Wednesday, September 17 02:15 PM)

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - The summer finale of "Sex and the City" went out with a bang, scoring one of the biggest audiences in the show's history.

A good portion of that audience also stuck around for the premiere of "Carnivale," the eerie new series that follows a traveling carnival across 1930s Dust Bowl America.

About 7.7 million people watched "Sex and the City" Sunday (Sept. 14) as it finished the first batch of episodes in its final season; the show will return early next year for its swan song. That's the second-biggest audience for the series in its history, trailing only the fifth-season premiere, which was seen by 7.9 million people in July 2002.

The show's audience was larger than that of several broadcast offerings Sunday night and beat all of its direct competition among adults 18-49, the bread-and-butter demographic for commercial networks.

"Carnivale" debuted to 5.3 million viewers, making it the most-watched series opener ever on HBO. "Six Feet Under" was the previous record-holder, with about 5 million viewers for its 2001 premiere.

The new show may be hard-pressed to duplicate those numbers, however, when it moves to 9 p.m. ET this week. "Carnivale" will have to do without the "Sex and the City" lead-in and will face more competition as the broadcast networks begin their fall season.
;)

To be honest, I'm not impressed after the first two episodes. There's really rich deep detail, and a whole lot of confusing scenes where things are hinted at that we have no clue about. Its a huge puzzle, and only seems to get more and more convoluted.

But I'll still watch episode three, because as slow as things are, they are going *somewhere*.

Frankly, I think things are "going somewhere," but not it's not for everyone's tastes, that's for sure. If you want things wrapped up neatly in a tidy package in a single episode, you're not going to find that here--it's going somewhere, but it's taking it's sweet time (and, frankly, I'm enjoying the ride). However, if you like mystery, continuing story, drama, and grit, there's lots and lots o' that. And, outside of Joan of Arcadia, it's one of the very few places where you're going to see God dealt with on television--and perhaps the only place where you'll see that subject dealt with in the context of the supernatural, good vs evil, souls in peril kind of way. That context alone draws me to the series and makes me stay with it--even if it were not so finely crafted, I would probably be tempted to give it a chance, as I was attempting to do with Miracles last spring when it was strangled in its crib. Well! More than I wanted to say! Sorry about that!

Meanwhile, for those interested in the series, I saw an interesting article about Adrienne Barbeau at zap2it:

~~~
Adrienne Barbeau Goes All the Way for HBO's 'Carnivale'
By Kate O'Hare

As part of a full plate, Adrienne Barbeau has appeared on Broadway (including "Fiddler on the Roof" and Rizzo in the premiere of "Grease") and entertained the troops in Southeast Asia.

She's also done scores of TV movies and feature films -- including "The Fog," "Swamp Thing," "Creepshow" and "Escape From L.A." -- was married to director John Carpenter (with whom she has a son), co-starred in "Maude," released a CD and performed in concert.

On top of all this, in 1997, in her early 50s, she gave birth to twins.

And as the wife of comedy writer Billy Van Zandt, Barbeau's the sister-in-law of Springsteen bandmate and "The Sopranos" star "Miami" Steve Van Zandt, aka "Little Steven."

Even after all this, doing HBO's phantasmagoric drama "Carnivale," which premiered Sept. 14, has got Barbeau on a natural high.

"Oh, it's so good," she says. "And it just gets better. There are more romances, with the sexuality and the interactions and the angers and the rages, it's great."

The series, created by Daniel Knauf and executive-produced by Ron D. Moore ("Roswell," "Battlestar Galactica"), follows two men whose lives eventually converge during the Great Depression.

One is Ben Hawkins (Nick Stahl), a chain-gang escapee with healing powers, who hooked up with a mysterious traveling carnival after the death of his mother in the Dust Bowl. The other is Brother Justin Crowe (Clancy Brown), a California evangelist prone to visions, who upsets the locals by ministering to unwanted migrant workers.

According to the show's premise, one man represents light and the other darkness -- but who stands for what remains an open question. Barbeau plays Ruthie, a snake dancer who works in the carnival as a barker for her son, strongman Gabriel (Brian Turk).

Barbeau recalls, "When I first read it, my thought was, 'It's "X-Files" out of Marjoe Gortner by David Lynch.' Somebody else said 'Grapes of Wrath' and Stephen King, but I don't see Stephen so much as 'X-Files.' Everybody is likening it to 'Twin Peaks,' but I never saw that.

"I also think -- and I think Dan Knauf mentioned this -- it's basically 'Star Wars.' It's an epic of good vs. evil. Someone else said, 'It's as though Satan and Jesus were reincarnated on Earth, but we don't know which is which.'"

As a Californian of Armenian heritage, Barbeau says she didn't know a lot about the Great Depression, portrayed in "Carnivale" as a ravaged battleground for larger forces.

"It's interesting," she says. "In one of the episodes, I have a line to Ben Hawkins -- he's frightened about something, and I say, 'It's the times. It's hard to feel safe. It's hard to be happy.' If you think about it, we could be saying that now. It's hard to feel safe. There are a lot of parallels today."

The role of Ruthie also afforded Barbeau the opportunity to do two things she's never before done on screen -- dance with snakes and have a human-on-human love scene.

Regarding the snakes (a Bolivian milk snake and a six-foot diamond boa), Barbeau says, "I had a great time. I didn't have any feeling about them one way or the other. They didn't bother me. But, when the time came, and I realized I was going to be dancing with them, doing choreography, having this sort of erotic experience with snakes, I went out and found a snake dancer to train with, and I developed an affection for them.

"If you didn't have to feed them live rats, of course ... I did have one deposit the dead rat that he had eaten on my costume in the middle of a scene. You basically work with the snake, tell him where you want him to be, then go along with him."

As for the other thing, Barbeau says, "I have a hot, sexy love scene ... or I hope it is. I actually had thrown my back out, so my experience doing it is hopefully not what the audience is going to see. It's my first love scene with somebody who is not a monster. I may have kissed somebody, I don't remember. The only time I remember having a love scene is with the Swamp Thing.

"The impression of me is that I was a sex symbol, but I never had a sexy role. But I had torn a disc, and I was in so much pain. Oh, Lord. I was looking forward to it, and when the day came, it was like, 'Let me get through this without screaming.'"

Barbeau also reveals that the scene is with a younger man -- "Young enough to be my son," she says -- but she won't say who. Apparently, HBO didn't get the TV memo about giving love lives only to young characters.

"No," Barbeau says, "that's ABC. This is HBO. On HBO, you can have the bearded lady, who is a nice, zaftig woman, having a love scene. You can see the hoochie-coochie dancers, who are Rubenesque, having a love scene. This is not the 20-year-old stick-figure model.

"And the Siamese twins, right toward the end, one of them starts being enamored of one man."

Barbeau, though, still is working on getting a love scene with carnival roustabout Jonesy, played by Tim DeKay. "We keep teasing about how we've been bribing Dan Knauf to write us a love scene, but we'll see."

And there is more of Ruthie to be revealed. "We learn why, in the first part of the season, she is no longer dancing with snakes. We don't know yet who the father of her son is. We don't know everything about her, but more is revealed as time goes on."

CYBERSPATIAL ANOMALIES: Barbeau maintains an official site at www.abarbeau.com, which includes information on her film and music careers. HBO's official site for "Carnivale" is at www.hbo.com/carnivale/. Along with show info, it features games, carny lingo and a screensaver.
~~~
;)

Boy, the last one was a whole hour! I was running to the other TV where I watch Alias! We finally heard the voice of "Management." Interesting that he sent Sampson out . . . Can Management be trusted? And Justin . . . the "left hand of God" . . . very creepy! You'd think that psychiatrist would have been more creeped out than he was.
:blink:

Got a couple of articles from TV Guide Online for those interested. First, a Roush Dispatch:

~~~
November 28, 2003
I've come to the realization that Carnivale is the perfect watercooler show for people who like to spike the water in their cooler.

HBO's sinister Depression-era allegory of good, evil, depravity, redemption and very gory dreams is an exceedingly strange and mystifying series, yet can also be rather hypnotic and fascinating (if you've the patience for it). The first season ends this Sunday, Nov. 30 (9 pm/ET), with a typically trippy, but more eventful than usual, cliffhanger that raises more questions than it answers. Luckily, it looks like we'll get a second season to continue trying to solve the apparently ancient mysteries behind Ben Hawkins's powers of healing and Brother Justin's apocalyptic crusade. (See Michael Ausiello's Insider story for more details.)

Anyone expecting that Ben and Justin's paths would cross by Sunday's finale will be gravely disappointed. But loyal viewers who've been seduced by the spiritual and carnal conundrums facing these tormented men will find much to savor. Beyond the travails of Ben (Nick Stahl) and Justin (Clancy Brown), there are also plenty of intrigues among the quirky denizens of the traveling Carnivale.

Tonight (Nov. 28), HBO repeats the last three episodes for those who've fallen behind or who might chooose to dare to enter at this late juncture. Trust me, we're all a bit confused about what's going on here, so don't sweat the details.

Last Sunday's episode ended with a shocker that forces Ben in the finale to confront the implications of his "gift" of healing. Meanwhile, Brother Justin examines the seductive nature of evil in his own persona. And back at the circus, the secret relationship of good-guy carny Jonesy (Tim DeKay) and hootchy-kootch dancer Rita Sue (Cynthia Ettinger) leads to some surprising, even fiery, twists.

Carnivale is not for all tastes, to put it mildly. But why should it be? HBO's mandate is to present shows that fall outside TV's norm, and this provocative (if borderline pretentious at times) series reinforces HBO's claim as TV's most adventurous programmer. (Even a failure like K Street was hardly an ordinary failure.) Put it this way: Would ABC even attempt a Twin Peaks in today's cautious climate? Pretty doubtful.
~~~

Here's the Insider article Matt referred to:

~~~
Carnivale's Future Foretold
by Michael Ausiello

It looks like HBO wants to get on Management's good side: The cabler is thisclose to renewing its deliriously addictive — yet modestly rated — Depression-era freak show Carnivale for a second season. "Barring disaster, which means the ratings falling off a cliff, we should be getting a pick-up [any day now]," exec producer Daniel Knauf tells TV Guide Online. "We have every expectation that we will be back."

Not bad for a series many in the media were quick to dub a disappointment. After a strong start, Carnivale's ratings tapered off, a development insiders blamed on the drama's slow pacing and increasingly complex mythology. But in terms of Internet traffic, Carnivale is nothing short of a phenomenon. Viewers have been jamming the show's official site at HBO.com in record numbers, picking apart everything from Ben's creepy dreams to whether Management is a He or a She. And the millions of fans who stuck by Samson and his band of merry misfits were rewarded with one payoff after another, culminating with Sunday's action-packed season finale (9 pm/ET).

"With storytelling, if you want to get the ball rolling, it's got to roll slow at first," Knauf explains. "I'm really happy that HBO was willing to weather those slings and arrows, because there really is no way to write this kind of epic without laying a lot of pipe at the top. Nobody liked to do it, but we knew we had to do it so it would pay off later on. But it's insanely risky when you're breaking a series to a new audience and it's not like, 'Bing, bang, boom!'"

That said, Knauf promises a faster pace — as well as a handful of new Carnies — when Season 2 kicks off in early '05. "It's going to move at a nice clip," he says. "I would say that the last three episodes are a pretty good estimate of where we're gonna be at from the standpoint of pacing next year."

But don't look for that long-awaited showdown between good (fugitive Ben) and evil (Brother Justin). Not next season anyway. "That's pretty well down the line," he says. "That's our endgame. The whole story is building toward that." Instead, Knauf teases that "elements" of their worlds will begin to collide in Season 2. "But Brother Justin and Ben having a light-saber fight? That won't happen."
~~~

[Frankly, it looks like they'll need a few new carnies after the finale . . . and, wow, the father's worst sin was compassion?]
;)

In case anybody else is still a fan of this program, you might like to know that it's been renewed for a second season (along with The Wire).
;)

I just starting watching the show, and I'm only on ep 4, so I haven't read any of the posts in this thread, to remain spoiler free. So far I really like it. I love the creepy atmosphere and all the mystery surrounding the characters.

BTW, if anyone's interested, Carnivale received 2 cinematography noms from its professional group--somehow this does not surprise me! :D Wah! I didn't notice any for Alias, though! :(

Update: Carnivale won both of the cinematography awards it was up for. I think it really deserved them, though. The work was really incredible.
:D

I've now seen all 12 eps!!!!! This show rocks! I could only watch it while I was in certain moods though, because it was so dang creepy. It def deserved those cinematography awards. Can't wait for season 2 (y)

Carnivale was nominated for 2 Saturn awards: Best Syndicated/Cable Series (it doesn't even compete with Alias!) and Best Supporting Actor in a Television Series--here Nick Stahl (Ben Hawkins--so who would be the lead, then, if not Ben Hawkins?) competes with Victor Garber, who won the Saturn last year.

Let's see Michael Vartan is up for Best Actor and Nick Stahl is up for Best Supporting Actor--what's wrong with this picture? Now, Clancy Brown--that's more of a choice for Best Supporting. I thought he did an excellent job, and that actually is a supporting role and not a lead one. Mr Stahl should be up for Best Actor, if anything. I thought he did a very good job--certainly better than Bakula or Boreanaz, but really, Ben Hawkins is not a supporting role, IMO.
;)

Carnivale recently picked up a couple more awards for costumes and art direction, which should bode well for Emmys--at least in the tech categories. It certainly is a handsome production. Now why Mr Moore would leave this to mess with Galactica, I'll never know . . .
^_^