Carnivale

Congratulations to Carnivale for Emmy nominations in the following categories:

Outstanding Art Direction For a Single-Camera Series
Outstanding Casting For A Drama Series
Outstanding Cinematography For A Single-Camera Series
Outstanding Costumes For A Series
Outstanding Hairstyling For A Series
Outstanding Main Title Design
Outstanding Makeup For A Series (Non-Prosthetic)

Frankly, I think they should definitely take home Art Direction, Cinematography (sorry, Alias!), and Main Title Design. But I expect that the main body of the Academy will be put off by the offbeat subject matter and refuse to support it (sigh).

Note: I've heard that Carnivale will be back in January . . . I'm looking forward to January . . . ;)
✌️

Update:
Congratulations to Carnivale for winning Emmy awards in the following categories:

Outstanding Art Direction For a Single-Camera Series
Outstanding Cinematography For A Single-Camera Series
Outstanding Costumes For A Series
Outstanding Hairstyling For A Series
Outstanding Main Title Design

This was the greatest number of creative category Emmys awarded to any series. TV Guide Online said, "That should take some of the sting out of this Sunday's main event, where Carnivale is (inexplicably) up for nothing." :smiley:

[I'm especially gratified to see the awards for title design and cinematography; even though Alias was nominated in the cinematography category, it wasn't quite as good as previous seasons and Carnivale was, simply put, magnificent.]
✌️

For those interested, here's the zap2it write-up:

Creative Arts Emmys Smile on HBO, 'Carnivale'
(Monday, September 13 09:27 AM)

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) Premium cable giant HBO dominated Sunday night's Creative Arts portion of the 56th annual Primetime Emmy Awards. With a record 124 nominations this year, HBO grabbed 16 trophies at Sunday night's (Sept. 12) ceremony at the Shrine Auditorium. FOX and PBS were a distant second with seven wins each.

Leading the way for HBO was the mystical Dust Bowl drama "Carnivale." Although the first season of the ambitious series failed to earn an outstanding drama nod or nominations for any members of its ensemble cast, "Carnivale" had five wins in technical categories.

Even its harshest critics, the ones who derided the show as boring or pretentious, acknowledged the show's realistic look and feel. "Carnivale" won Emmys for art direction, hairstyling, costumes and for Jeffrey Jur's cinematography. Jur earned an American Society of Cinematographers award earlier this year, while the show's production design, hairstyling and costumes were also honored by their respective guilds.

HBO's epic "Angels in America" won four Emmys on Sunday, recognized for longform casting, art direction and makeup. Up for 21 Emmys overall, "Angels in America" is expected to be a big winner (along with HBO's "The Sopranos" and "Sex and the City") when the final 27 awards are presented next Sunday (Sept. 19) at the Shrine.

Although "Angels" was repeatedly celebrated, the Mike Nichols adaptation was victim to one of the night's biggest upsets as Stephen Goldblatt lost the longform cinematography prize to Donald M. Morgan for HBO's "Something the Lord Made."

FOX was led by "24," which won four Emmys and "Arrested Development," which won for casting.

NBC had five wins, including four for the final season of "Frasier," and ABC also took five Emmys, with a pair going to "Practice" guest stars William Shatner and Sharon Stone.

Other big winners included a reality prize for Bravo's "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy," PBS' "American Masters" as outstanding nonfiction series and HBO's "Elaine Stritch: At Liberty" as outstanding variety, music or comedy special.

"Gilmore Girl" fans will be pleased to know that the show picked up its first Emmy, winning for non-prosthetic makeup for "The Festival of Living Art" episode.

I understand that (like Alias), we won't be seeing new episodes until January. :( But--we will be seeing new episodes!!! (If Carnivale had been on network television, it's a sure bet we wouldn't be, huh?) ;)
✌️

We've just gotten it on aussie TV, ive been looking forward to seeing this show for a little while now, and Im watching it now and jesus its bloody good....really differant...maybe thats why I like it.

From TV Guide Online:

CARNIE CATASTROPHE: It's official — and depressing: HBO has pulled the plug on Carnivàle. "We have decided not to renew Carnivàle," HBO entertainment prexy Carolyn Strauss said in a statement. "We feel the two seasons we had on the air told the story very well, and we are proud of what everyone associated with the show has accomplished." She's particularly proud of the way Season 2 ended on a cliff-hanger, ensuring that fans of this woefully underappreciated show would never get the closure they so desperately desire and deserve. She's doing cartwheels over that.
felgercarb. :(

Yeah, read about the axing. I haven't watched the show, but when it started in Australia over summer it was in a poxy timeslot so I couldn't watch it. Its out here on DVD now though so I'm waiting for it to come down in price so I can pick it up! :D

Carnivale received Emmy nods for

Outstanding Art Direction for a Single-Camera Series; Old Cherry Blossom Road/Damascus, NE/Outside New Canaan

Outstanding Cinematography for a Single-Camera Series; The Road to Damascus

Outstanding Cinematography for a Single-Camera Series; Lincoln Highway

Outstanding Costumes for a Series; The Road to Damascus

Outstanding Hairstyling for a Series; Outside New Canaan

Outstanding Makeup for a Series; Alamogordo, NM

Outstanding Prosthetic Makeup for a Series, Miniseries, Movie or a Special; Damascus, NE

Outstanding Musical Composition for a Series; Lincoln Highway, Jeff Beal

Congratulations to the cast and crew of Carnivale!!! :D

(And, I'm sorry, but shame on you, HBO, only one season left, and you screwed up. -_-)

Latest from zap2it:

'Carnivale' Fans Besiege HBO with E-mails
(Monday, July 18 03:00 PM)
By Daniel Fienberg

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) In a somewhat unusual strategy, HBO Chairman Chris Albrecht refutes claims that his network is no longer capable of generating watercooler buzz by referencing an already cancelled drama.

"Never have we gotten besieged the way we have been besieged by 'Carnivale' fans for deciding not to go on with the third season of that show," Albrecht admits. "I mean literally 50,000 e-mails over a weekend and I don't mean the first weekend. It's so over-the-top, not just in terms of the number, but in terms of things that they say and threaten."

Do you hear that, "Carnivale" fans? HBO has heard your wailing and gnashing of teeth, but no matter how much you threaten to boil their bunnies, make pate of their dogs or get medieval on their hindquarters, the Depression-era drama, starring Nick Stahl and Clancy Brown, isn't coming back any time soon.

Albrecht tells reporters that the second season of "Carnivale" was originally supposed to conclude with a satisfying and close-ended conclusion -- the ultimate confrontation between Brown's problematic Brother Justin and Stahl's miracle-working Ben -- but that producers decided to add a cliffhanger, leaving the show's small, but passionate legion of devotees at a loss.

Sure, audiences for "Carnivale" were down dramatically in the show's second season. And sure, creator Daniel Knauf signed a development deal to defect to Showtime as the second season was still concluding. Those factors aside, though, it sounds as if the problem was money.

"[H]onestly, if 'Carnivale' was a $2 million-an-hour show, we'd keep going with it," Albrecht says. "But a period piece, shot all on location, a huge cast like that ... by the third season of a show time that -- and you've got to order at least 13 episodes to give something a real shot -- it's an enormous investment."

Albrecht still sounds proud of the show, which has hauled in an impressive number of technical Emmy nominations the past two years, but he's also got an air of finality.

"You have to says, 'Can I take this money and allocate it in other ways to appeal to that same audience?'" he explains. "Although after reading the e-mails, I'm not sure."