Coffee is now deemed bad for you

Azhria Lilu

Captain
Next year it'll probably be good for you again.

Watching Sky News this morning, they're reading through the news paper articles. One of them is about how scientists are now saying that drinking more than 4 cups of coffee a day can shorten your lifespan.
NoCookies | The Australian

Statements like this really do my head in - its not a definitive thing, since a lot of things can be factored in to a life being shortened and you can't pinpoint it on one particular item.... not unless it's an illness that's killed you.

It seems they just randomly draw different things we eat and drink to say they will kill you one year but change it the next.

I remember when they said hot dogs will give you cancer... that was my growing up food yet I am cancer free :P

It seems they just randomly draw different things we eat and drink to say they will kill you one year but change it the next.

I remember when they said hot dogs will give you cancer... that was my growing up food yet I am cancer free :P

Its almost as if putting substances in your body can have both good and bad side effects.

Someone give me 2 million dollars and I'll publish a paper about it.

Shorten my lifespan? Yeah... no. Without it I would have died long ago.. Mornings really aren't my thing and I couldn't get through it without my coffee.

I don't drink coffee, but I do drink tea and I love it. Everything kills everybody so I'm going to enjoy it until I die. :P

Next year it'll probably be good for you again.

Watching Sky News this morning, they're reading through the news paper articles. One of them is about how scientists are now saying that drinking more than 4 cups of coffee a day can shorten your lifespan.
NoCookies | The Australian

Statements like this really do my head in - its not a definitive thing, since a lot of things can be factored in to a life being shortened and you can't pinpoint it on one particular item.... not unless it's an illness that's killed you.

People rubbish reports such as this because they don't want to believe them. They like their coffee and don't want to change their ways. But for many years smokers argued that their habit did them no harm and they have been proved wrong. Should scientists not do this sort of research, or if they come up with results that will be unpopular, should they supress them?

A second point - the research did not report that drinking coffee is bad for you, but that drinking too much coffee is bad for you.

Granted, but as I said - it's not definitive. I know people who have smoked their entire lives and are 100% healthy - no coughs, no illnesses nothing . . . and then there are people who died of cancer. I think there's much more to be taken into account than any one specific item but a culmination of various things.

Yes - you don't drop dead after your fifth cup of coffee in a day. But it makes sense to reduce risk by modifying your behaviour. It would be good to know the level of risk, but I think that's still unknown.

Back