college

Status
Not open for further replies.
don't worry, same thing happened to me too. i didn't hear about it until sometime last year. and, even then, it was a brief mention. i had no idea that i would have to take it.

and i didn't even hear about it AT ALL in high school. i mean, we're always hearing about the mcats and lsats, but i didn't think anything about those because i knew i didn't want to be a doctor or lawyer. but no one ever really talks about the gre.

that's true. there was so much focus on the SATs and APs that, even if the GREs were mentioned, i probably wouldn't have given them a second thought.

still though, it would've been nice if someone had mentioned this before now. :confused: i am so dreading this now.

crazy spinster said:
man, i thought i was finished with standardized testing with the sat's. grrr...
speaking of the SATs, my dad just gave me a used practice manual for the verbal part. and I really don't get why, as I won't have to take the tests for a couple of years (one half is three hours. three hours??? you could watch two LOTR movies in that time period. :eek: )

*reads aloud* "Of the three things colleges look at--grades, personal characteristics, and SAT scores--your SAT scores are the one thing you can change in six weeks."

I only get six weeks to revamp my personality and bump up my scores?? :Ph34r:

this is all very scary. :confused:

well, get used to the three-hour exam. if you take any AP classes, each exam is three hours long. and the finals here are each three hours long as well. well, technically, we're given three hours to complete our finals, but most professors don't create final exams that long. BUT, i have taken classes where it's taken me three hours to complete the final. ugh. and i suddenly forget how long the SATs are. i think i repressed the entire experience. although, i do remember getting up early on multiple saturday mornings to take the SATs at 8 in the morning. ugh. that was painful.

as for SAT scores, i actually didn't get a very good score. (although i did pretty darn well on the verbal part for the SAT II). but i still got into a fairly good university, so don't stress TOO much over it. it's not the be all and end all of college apps.

you know, i actually didn't really have a stellar extracurricular background either. it's still a big mystery to me as to how i got into ucsd. :blink: all i had were good grades and (i hope) a good personal statement. although, i remember the year i got accepted, there were a lot of "strange" things going on with the uc acceptances. for example, my best friend got accepted to berkeley and ucla but got rejected from ucsd. ironically, that's where she wanted to go while i got rejected from ucla which is where i wanted to go. too bad they didn't just let us switch acceptance letters. that would've been cool. but it doesn't matter now since we're both pretty happy where we are. :smiley:

iL0v3vAuGhN @Jun 20 2003 said:
nooooo ::covers eyes:: no more skoo talk! summer cvacation!
I hear ya. :lol:

But the funny thing is, I actually find myself thinking more about school-related things in the summer than I do during the school year. For some reason, it seems kind of exciting then, to plan everything and look forward to what's coming up. (Probably because I'm more bored then.) But during the school year, I don't even want to think about it.

I just found out something weird...One of the schools I was considering for grad school doesn't even require GRE scores at all. I should be glad, because who wants to take them? But it seems a little fishy to me...Like maybe their standards aren't high enough? I don't know.. :blink: My professors say that it has a great literature program, though.

What I hate the most is the "importance" of gpa's. I feel like I can't relax, b/c I'm always competing to have a high gpa. I'm trying not to freak out about it, but when everyone around me starts taking impossible ap classes, I begin to feel like a slacker. I want hs to be fun....not 2 more years of chaos and confusion and competition!

i HATE the gpa felgercarb too, because i know what feild i wanna go into, and i know that science will have nothing to do with it. I dont wanna hurt my gpa cause im not good at science. I wish we could specialize earlier.

that would be nice. i'm not big on science either (which makes my decision to go to the science college of my university the stupidest decision i've ever made).

you know, talking about all of this makes me glad i'm past that. but then again, i'm just going to have to go through it again when i apply to grad school. and let's just say that my gpa has dropped considerably since i've been in college. :confused:

Now I'm worried about College. At first it was taking the SATS and ACTS, but since I'm past that, I just have to sit and wait for my scores, well, one of the scores, I've already gotten the SAT score. I'm hoping for a high score on my ACT, cause I didn't fair too well on the SAT. I really want to get into the University of Texas @ Austin. I don't know how hot of a shot I've got, but if my ACT score isn't that great either, all I can hope for then is top 10% in highschool. cause then I"m a shoe-in. Ugh.... I don't know what I want to do.......

What's funny about my HS is that the top 10% is the top 9 students :lol:

I have a year left to prepare for the SAT. I did good on the PSAT, but I must get a 1400 (heck, even a 1600) on the SAT.

i want to go to emory in GA, but its a really good place and i heard its really hard to get into. its like a medical school and thats the kind of place i wanna go.

It's basically the same as the SAT, but a little bit easier. Kind of like a practice SAT.

AliasALIAS said:
It's basically the same as the SAT, but a little bit easier. Kind of like a practice SAT.
I understood that much...LOL....but I meant the scoring process. b/c that's in a percent almost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back