Country Barriers

Yeah it's like hello, just because we speak properly doesn't mean we're stuck up and don't you think you're being offensive to us! That's why I love Team America so much because it's finally getting some revenge for countless movies where they've had british characters that are portrayed as stuck up snobs that speak in a posh way!

tony blair- the stupid guy with the huge ears, you see leading our government although, he's resigning at the end of the year
Hey I'm related to him not that i care i've never met him the Blair's disowned our part of the family!

Let's face it thongs as in thongs you know you wear on your feet to the beach and no not sandles coz they have buckels and straps ROCK! and only Aussie will know what I mean

I've got one. Multi. Its said like a e multi not multie. does that make sense. Its on the adverts for bud it think with multi ball extra time. Those adverts are v.funny.

Thongs: underwear...but back in the day that's what we called flip flops...but since the appearance of the underwear we have resorted to flip flops as to not have confusion :P

And having 'our' in words instead of 'or' doesn't make sense to me.

I guess because we don't pronounce Flavor "flav-our" but "flav-or"...thus it makes sense ;)

Jamison said:
Thongs: underwear...but back in the day that's what we called flip flops...but since the appearance of the underwear we have resorted to flip flops as to not have confusion :P

And having 'our' in words instead of 'or' doesn't make sense to me.
I guess because we don't pronounce Flavor "flav-our" but "flav-or"...thus it makes sense ;)
[post="1345662"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
There are thousands of words in the English language that aren't pronounced the way they are written. It doesn't mean we have to change them all.

I don't get why English isn't spoken and written by everybody the way English people speak and write it. After all, it's called ENGLISH. It really pisses me off that American television is changing the way young people talk in Australia now.

Here's one. An ass is like a donkey - hence not a rude word. Use the proper word 'arse' and this site won't bleep it out. Makes no sense.

'Chaswazzers' isn't a word. That Simpsons episode is an absolute disaster. It's so funny how nobody in the word can do an Australian accent (hint hint Lost actors).

why aren't there "verkleinwoorden" in English??

Ok... so i'll explain it :smiley:

In Flemish you have like these letter combi's to replace words like "little" "small"
ex: bird = vogel
and a "little bird" is vogeltje
flower = bloem
a "small flower" = bloempje

well, of caurse we also say "een kleine vogel" which is "a little bird"

i'm just wondering why you don't have it in English? it would be easier no? and not that much writing :P

Bubbles said:
ok so there's a HUGE country barrier thing, so I'm talking on behalf of Australia when I say:

the following words ARE correctly spelled:

metre
centre
favour
flavour
neighbour

and some explanations:

jam = the stuff you spread on bread
jelly = the stuff that's like crystal powder and you mix it with water to make a dessert
thong = the shoes... flip flops do NOT exist
g string = the underwear
petrol station = the place where you fill up your car... gas stations does NOT make sense since you're filling your car up with petrol, not gas
soft drink = all the drinks, lemonade, pepsi, coke, mountain dew, sprite, seven up... sodas don't exist

I just want people to describe what they say in their countries... why? I have no idea :lol: but fighting about this stuff is fun (I know from past experience)
[post="1340875"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
1) I HATE HOW YOU SPELL METRE, THEATRE AND CENTRE THAT WAY *pulls hair out*
Do not ask why, I just do. It irritates me. :P
2) I agree! Thongs are shoes! I am wearing thongs!
3) SODA!

Sabella said:
I'm sorry but it really gets to me the way american's spell things like Honour wrong and say it Honor and then say they're right but excuse me but we were the people who put you on the map in the first place, we came up with the English language so do you mind paying us the common courtesy of when using our language actually using it correctly :P :angry:
[post="1343118"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

humdiddlydee, that's how we learned to spell honor and color and favorite and all those other words!

:cry: :sadangel:

:lol:

:mellow:

beth! 🍦

m<o>j said:
He he...I love this.

And Sabella, pssst, I think they teach them like that...

Yeah, I always though sark would have been perfectly British sounding if he didn't say darta instead of dayta...
[post="1343148"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

and vea instead of via

cinders said:
lol, yeh i still dont think he quite cuts it, i still dont get the whole when american put on british accents we all seem to be like someone

whos drinking ginger beer on the way to play croquet, darling
[post="1343157"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

yes i mean who do they think we are? Worse than that was there Irish pub scene with ricky gervais when they were all wearing flat caps and stuff :lol: and the whole red london buses that they show whenever they have a place in england despite the facte they're not there

mrs.marshal030791 said:
really its yoghurt??? i never heard of that
[post="1343336"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

well now you have ay it properly! Equilly- Herbs there's an H pronounce it!

littlebirdy said:
Here's one. An ass is like a donkey - hence not a rude word. Use the proper word 'arse' and this site won't bleep it out. Makes no sense.

[post="1347015"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

THANK YOU!!!!!

LaurenRachael said:
1) I HATE HOW YOU SPELL METRE, THEATRE AND CENTRE THAT WAY *pulls hair out*
Do not ask why, I just do. It irritates me. :P
2) I agree! Thongs are shoes! I am wearing thongs!
3) SODA!
[post="1347392"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
YOU HATE IT :blink: YOU HATE IT?????

How would you lik it if another country took your nativ language, spoke and spelt it wrong and then claimed to be speaking it correctly and THEN said they hated the propper way????? :confused: and what if they then claimed to make U>S english- which is not a thing- clearly that's just some hybred of english that should be put down like the mutant languag that it is!

On the other hand may I quot the wonderful Fred and ginger " You say tomaaaaatoe I say tomato"

Back