Country Barriers

omg i tried spelling it the "right" way in english just to see if it really made a differance and my teacher totally blew up in my face she was all 9 years in school and you dont know how to spell, and i was all yea well thats how its spelled in some other places but it doesnt make it wrong and she got all prissy and idiotic on me so eh? its the american way cant really bash my own people can i? but still its the way you guys spell it and i think its really cool so im going to try to spell it the "correct" way, for many reason A, its a completley different thing that people here arnt used to using and B it pisses of my english teacher
but just so i get the whole spelling thing right, anything that ends in er like meter changes to metre, correct? and anything that ends in or, like flavor you add a u to make it flavour correct?

well mostly but we hav er words too!

Bubbles said:
LIEUTENANT!!!

it is NOT lyoo-ten-ant

lef-teh-nant... mmk?
[post="1348967"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

YES!!!!!!!!!!!

I know it really bbugs me when people go all american and say looootenant and i'm like helllo left-tenant!!!!!!

flip flops - things for your feet

thongs - underwear

jello- ?! doesnt happen

jelly - wierd gross jellyish stuff thats not jam but is a dessert

jam - jam.

g string - yepp thats underwear

gas station- that also doesnt happen

soda - or that. though you do get soda cfrystals to unblock the drains..

vacation- well theres vaccinations. actually, vacations an edition of the sims..

holiday- going away for a few weeks

break- the time in between lessons at school.

:P just being enlighting bout english spellings lol!

Aliasfan13 said:
Okay I got a question for the Aussies:

How do you guys pronounce "vitamin"?
[post="1358747"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
umm... like:

vy-tuh-muhn

but the british way is:

vi-tuh-muhn

cute_as_candy said:
question...

aren't Lieutenant and lehf-ten-ent different things...? :thinking:
i think i'm being stupid but i thought they were...
[post="1363694"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
^ same thing stephy

i said:
question...
aren't Lieutenant and lehf-ten-ent different things...? :thinking:
i think i'm being stupid but i thought they were...
[post="1363694"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Yup the're the same. Some idiot at cadets tried to tell us it was 'loutenant'...pshhhs. But our word is a bastardisation of a French word...if we'd got it right it would have been lou, but then we invented it, we can have our own rules...:P

dancingfortherain said:
i have no idea what either is. im having a dumb day. and i just thought of another i dunno if anyones mentioned it but theres gray and grey.. we say grey.
[post="1364002"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Nobody else'll notice it, but I've adtopted 'gray'...I use 'grey' for general grey, or soft smoke pale greys, and 'gray' for hard, cold slaty greys.

peanutbutter said:
question: is there a difference between a dove and a pigeon?
[post="1366026"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
No, however generally people only use 'dove' for the smaller varieties and the white/pale grey ones.

And it's VIT-A-MIN....where did the 'e' come from, eh?

Jai :rain:

theres is a difference between a dove and a pigeon isn't there.....? :confused: i thought a pigeon was one of em things you see in london and in towns and theyre grey and fat often and a dove is white and don't tend to hang round towns and cities.....

Yeah, but they belong to the same family...it's only that people tend to call the dirty city ones pigeons and the crean pale ones doves...you wouldn't be technically be wrong if you wanted to call a 'pigeon' a dove or a 'dove' a pigeon...^_^

Back