Crafting, buying, and selling

I understand that crafting in HJ is not going to be like WoW. We will not farm/collect ingredients and we will not have recipes, at least for weapons and armor. These items will be more like pets, with the ability to grow them and level them.

What kind of commodities market will HJ have then? I mean, if one could grow their lev 1 weapon all the way into the end-game, what point is there to buy or sell loot at all?

Will dedicated crafters exclusively 'train' weapons and armor to sell to lower level chars?

Crafting is important to me, I made a name for myself in WoW because of it. I had rare recipes and I charged fair prices. I also enjoyed playing the commodities market, and I worry that HJ is going to be weak in this area.

Does anyone else share my concern?

I'm quite curious about that, too.

Maybe you will only craft parts that enhance your existing weapon. Like a new hilt, ornaments or even the blade (... wait, that would be a completly new sword. :smiley: ). Sharpening stones to keep your weapon in a good shape could also be craftable. As well as oils that may give a temporary buff.

Repairs can be done by players, that I've read somewhere, but beyond that I'm clueless.

2 days till E3, then we may know more. :smiley:

Maybe you could transfer stats from one weapon to another? The devs have mentioned in a previous article that one character's tiny pink stiletto could deal more damage then another's huge axe or sword so obviously what a particular weapon looks like will have nothing to do with it's actual damage in many cases.

I'd expect that the weapon choices at character creation will have to be somewhat limited. So, if that's the case, then maybe crafters will be able to make all kinds of cool, different looking weapons that aren't initially available during character creation, with no stats, or basic stats, that can then be enchanced or completely over-written by another weapon's attributes. This way you can further customize the look of your character by having him swing any weapon you want him to while still maintaining at least some if not all of the hard earned stats from his old weapon.

Crafters would still be desired in this scenario because they could craft that weapon for you that has the perfect "look" that you're after for your character. Or maybe the weapon that a crafter makes for me has an attribute that my old weapon didn't have so I decide to combine the attibutes of the two?

Of course these are just my theories but I hope we find out soon!

I just want to be able to harvest wheat and then brew my own beer, sit on the porch of my house that I build, and eat friiiied chicken!

Seriously though, I love crafting in MMOs, but sadly most every MMO crafting system has been either dead boring, stupidly basic, pathetically repetitive or overly complicated.

So I'm hoping for something very fun and unique, not too drastically involved, but enough in it for us to be able to make things that people will desire; as opposed to 'get steel, make blade, get pelt, make hilt, combine, make sword#2463B2v2 just like every other sword made'.

i thought crafting in Swg was pretty good. i know the overall crafting scene in the game was flawed b/c the economy was so unbalanced, but i thought the elements and processes were pretty fun. of course it was repetitive and all. i made the most money in that game than all the others that ive played combined.

I just had another thought (scary).

If we can train our weapons for the purpose of selling them, does this imply that no weapons are soulbound in-game?

And what happens when one gives an ultra-uber item to a lowbie? Do they have an advantage because of it. Something like Perseus in Clash of the Titans being given the sword, shield, etc from Zeus?

I wish that I could answer questions on the crafting system in Hero's Journey, because crafting is also very important to me. However, Crafting is still one of those things that is "coming soon to a public announcement".

What I can say is information found in various interviews. First off "Less Tedium, More Fun". I don't think you can expect to mass produce 45,000 Rusty Iron Long Swords in order to hone your crafting skill. Crafting should not be mass production, but be more an art form.

As to the specifics...I really can't say, Just keep in mind that we do have many people involved, and many people that love crafting as much as you do. :smiley:

I think I read somewhere that Simutronics may not even implement crafting. It's one of those time sink things. Is crafting REALLY fun?

For me, that has allways been the problem with crafting. I start a crafter, get him leveled up to where he can get the mats he needs, then start crafting. 110 tanned leathers, iron rods, fabric swatches, (what have you) later I am allready bored to tears and/or my 38 year old A.D.D. kicks in and I start foaming at the mouth to hit a hunting ground to kill something, and I'm not even close to an end item I can use.

I've never had the patience to be accused of being a crafter type, I'll admit, but damn, how you who do justify the time spent to get anything decent crafted? I actually enjoyed crafting in EQ2, because they made it a mini game, but it became frustrating after days of doing it, gaining nice high crafter levels doing so, only to put out items with little to no retail value.

Tell you all what, go ahead and craft to your hearts content, I'll stay stupid and happy hunting for the massive amounts of cash needed to pay for the goods created by you crafter types, and you wont hear me complain about it so you dont challenge me to make a better product for cheaper, lol.

/tips his hat to the crafters

Originally posted by HJ-Rowell@May 8 2006, 11:00 AM
I wish that I could answer questions on the crafting system in Hero's Journey, because crafting is also very important to me. However, Crafting is still one of those things that is "coming soon to a public announcement".

What I can say is information found in various interviews. First off "Less Tedium, More Fun". I don't think you can expect to mass produce 45,000 Rusty Iron Long Swords in order to hone your crafting skill. Crafting should not be mass production, but be more an art form.

As to the specifics...I really can't say, Just keep in mind that we do have many people involved, and many people that love crafting as much as you do. :smiley:
Well, this is a partial relief to me.

I appreciate your situation, but I crave more information in this area as soon as possible.

Would this be a good location to put some of our ideas of things we do and do not like from other games?

crafting is ultimately worthless and moot because in the end the mob drops are better than player crafted goods so there is no point. better off farming those mobs for gear.

Originally posted by z80@May 8 2006, 08:22 PM
crafting is ultimately worthless and moot because in the end the mob drops are better than player crafted goods so there is no point. better off farming those mobs for gear.
Which, IMHO, is the exact opposite of what it SHOULD be. WHY should players, who pay to play and spend hours working (and it IS work) on their skills and gathering resources, be upstaged by drops from a mob that didnt even use the item it dropped, just for players to get frustrated when it FINALLY drops (as most games have low % drop rates) and watch the drop go to another party member?

That stinks worse than frumunda cheese.

What a great way to put it Xhar. Still, I don't know how you can make crafting fun.

Is it a question of making crafting fun, or useful?

There were some cool engineering items you could make in WoW that simply were unavailable through any other means. An example was the Gadgetzan teleporter.

I like the idea of being needed.

Originally posted by Presto@May 8 2006, 08:35 PM
Is it a question of making crafting fun, or useful?

There were some cool engineering items you could make in WoW that simply were unavailable through any other means. An example was the Gadgetzan teleporter.

I like the idea of being needed.
Does this mean I can place a scope on my longbow now???

* <----shivers as he sharpens his pearl-handled dagger with a sharpening stone! *

[Part A]

Crafting...

In my opinion, from the MMOs I've experienced (DAoC to Horizons to WoW to EQ2 to Saga of Ryzom etc), crafting has been completely unrealised.
In pretty much all of these games crafting has ended up being a shell of what the intention was, for one reason or another. And as such it's either ended up being a very dull and very boring grind or the process is worthless - as said, better drops so why craft?

To my thinking, the big error is really quite basic and blatant.

Look at EQ2 for example:
'Person A' starts Woodworking (WW). They go out harvesting, they then return to the crafting dungeon and level up their WW skill. Soon they're a level 40 WW and a level 9 Adventurer (like my Woodworking alt on PvP server).
This character gets one shot killed in places he needs to gather woodstuffs, but he can and does gather, and then crafts items for level 40+ people. He has no dependency on anyone else, let alone an Adventurer.
So here you have Generic Woodworker Man who can make magically imbued wands from rare wood that he himself harvested from a piece of wood.

'Person B' hates the idea of crafting. He wants to be a Ranger!
So he goes out, killing mobs and leveling up his skills. He finds Adept 1 skills dropping off the mobs so has no need to go see a crafter for Apprentice versions of the skills. He visits a crafter once in a blue moon to get an Adept 3 version of the skill made (which any generic crafter can do).
He finds nice armour, does quests for nice armour and weapons.
He gets to level 60 with only having needed to visit a crafter a few times for Adept 3 skills - possibly going back to just that one crafter in his or her Guild.

Now... the Crafter gets progressively annoyed that the Adventurer is out there getting versions of loot equal, and usually superior, to what he can craft. So he starts whining on the forums that he is undervalued and not needed in this MMO society - and the Devs told them they were going to create such a great crafting system - again...
So, the Devs then give GenericCraftedSword#2453-that-needs-a-rare better stats than the dropped loot equivalent to appease the Crafters, and soon the Adventurers are on the boards whining that the Crafters are charging waaay too much for the item - because a Crafter can go out and gather the needed rare without an Adventurer's help, and thus charge whatever the hell they want!

Starting to see how full of holes such a system is? And it's evident, in one form or another, in pretty much all MMOs.

If not that, then this:
Gather 500 wood - 3 hours work.
Gather 500 cotton - 2.5 hours work.
Gather 500 leather - 4 hours work.
Gather 500 metalA - 3 hours work.
Gather 500 metalB - 4 hours work.
Now smelt metalA and metalB to make metalC (no real point to this but see it soo often... :blink: )
Then add wood, cotton, leather and metalC. Move slider to right to mass produce 500 base items.
Press 'Craft'.
Now salvage goods from the 500 items.
Repeat 'craft' process. Savage. Repeat. Take a gun and shoot yourself for having wasted 18 hours of a day to not even gain a finished product.

I'm sure we can all give other examples.
Like WoW. Gather copper, leather and cloth. Simply look at it, say "Mumbojumbo!" and tada! Copper sword.. haha. WoW 'crafting'... :blink:

Back