E3 2006 Snub

Not one reviewer even mentioned Hero's Journey in the MMOR category when giving rewards. I just don't thing Conan is all that big a deal. It's a straight hack and slash game. Maybe it's got some nice features but I don't think they are even close to HJ. And Burning Crusade got the runner-up votes! It's an add-on to a great game and they're just adding new lands and a couple of new classes but the game play is still the same!

I feel like HJ got the short end of the stick rather unfairly since it improved leaps and bounds from the previous E3...

I think the reason HJ is not getting love and adoration from the award folks is that it was at E32k5, and is unlikely to come out before E32k7.

The newsfolk know that is the game is as good as it seems to be, they will have plenty of time to lavish rewards upon it next year. It still got two awards (which are failing to jump unto the tip of my tongue atm).

I don't think there was enough information on it, compared to other games, because they are a while away from release. And, Simu isn't as well known as Blizzard and all the big name companies.

We all know that as soon as it gets closer to release, and when it finally is released, it will get all the praise it deserves, and than some.

I don't really mind if HJ stays somewhat obscure. Fan base will be smaller, but closer knit, and generally a little more mature.

I agree, and agree. Which I guess makes me torn. The selfish side of me would like the game to have a bit of a smaller following, with the kind of community that you tend to see in "nitche" games, more mature and friendlier. Another part of me wants HJ to be a absolutely HUGE hit, and blow the doors off of the MMO community. And show other developers that sometimes doing something different is better than repackaging EQ again.

But I think they got snubbed, and the amount of press that Vangard, Age of Conan and the WoW expansion got distubed me. At least Age of Conan is trying something different, but Vangard isthe biggest EQ clone ever, and well WoW is WoW.

Originally posted by Morneblade@Jun 14 2006, 04:05 AM
I agree, and agree. Which I guess makes me torn. The selfish side of me would like the game to have a bit of a smaller following, with the kind of community that you tend to see in "nitche" games, more mature and friendlier. Another part of me wants HJ to be a absolutely HUGE hit, and blow the doors off of the MMO community.
Very true. I would love it to be a niche game, with a smaller (I mean there is such a thing as too small ;0 ) loyal community.

But, in the end...more players is more money, which can mean more GM-sponsored events-quests, expansions, updates, and support. At least one can hope. All the interactions I've ever had with Simu staff (GMs, devs, billing folks) have been mostly positive, though most of my experience is with the GMs and billing folks. So, I'd really like to see it be a huge success for them.

Still....I do enjoy the small community feel in the games, where you know just about everyone by name (if text) or just by looking at the character (graphics).

Lets see what HJ was up against, hell lets just pick one random game. The Burning Crusade.

Vivendi Games (Blizzard's Parent Company)
$30 million U.S. first quarter earnings in 06
Xbox Games, Wikis, Cheats, News, Reviews & Videos - IGN
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=c...d=3027&Itemid=2
(assets)
List of assets owned by Vivendi - Wikipedia

Blizzard Inc ALONE
" - Net revenues attributable to the operation of Blizzard Entertainment's
World of Warcraft® ("WoW"), which include revenues from game playing
time, merchandise sales and other related revenues, were RMB209.9
million (US$26.2 million) in the first quarter of 2006, and remained
steady from the previous quarter.(1) "

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories....04368523&EDATE=
(second bullet point)

Still surprised they got the big shaft? You think Simu shuffles $30 MILLION a quarter?

Sadly, Simu is a privately owned company and I could find no financial information,
http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/g...009&newsLang=en
But I can guarentee they don't top 30 million, probably closer to 1-2. Does that make their game worse? Hell no, but it makes it less publicised by far.

I'd have to agree. Money plays a big role when it comes to how well a game is mentioned.

HJ didn't really get much spotlight because Eve Online got all the ---- MMO awards again. But hey, who can blame them? Eve Online rox my sox. Just wait till next year, when beta is going on or done and I'm sure HJ will take home the gold.

I just really hope that HJ doesn't become another Asheron's Call 2 and end up closing shop on us. Does anyone have word on who will be distributing HJ, or is Simy going to be doing that themselves too?

Originally posted by milamber
Not one reviewer even mentioned Hero's Journey in the MMOR category when giving rewards.

I'm not sure where you were looking, but we did get a few awards from various MMORPG sites.

Hero's Journey received 2 Stratics Golden Cogs awards.

HJ also received Most Original from GameAmp.

One reason for the lack of publicity is definitely a lack of cash-flow. G4TV openly mocked the booths in Kentia hall, which is where all the small companies are located. Of course, I'm not sure anyone still watches that channel, anyway.

I, too, expect publicity to ramp up much more once we enter open beta and certainly move closer to release.

Cirakin

Do awards make any of you actually purchase or play a game? I mean, I'm sure they matter to the developers, staff, etc....but I could really care less what entity gives what game, what award.

I buy a game if it seems interesting, and play it until I decide not to anymore. :smiley: Some, like WoW, don't last very long while others I play for decades (GS...well, one decade anyhow.)

The way I see it, the game is still in the works. It's slated for beta sometime at the end of this year, and a release middle of next. The word is out there, and there's a very good community forming.

In a way, not over publicizing every oodle of information about HJ is a good thing. God knows that MMO environment can be very incestuous....in that one company implements a new idea, and the rest jump all over it. Laying low, getting all the wholesome goodness into the game, and testing it to death is a big plus in my book. Implement those new ideas right, rather than have some already established game snag the idea and try to jam it poorly into their game, and totally turning the players off to the idea.

When the time comes, and HJ is getting close to release, I'm sure the word will be spread. And after it is released, those wishing to get away from the same run of the mill MMO's will come over for some freshness and innovation.

I agree with Rowell.

Right now is the time to lay low, produce a product that is truly a genre evolution, and release it at a time when those playing current MMORPGs realize that their worlds have finite playability.

Meanwhile, those of us contributing to forums like these are creating a community and a following which, when the time comes, will spread the gospel that is HJ to those who by then, will be ready to hear it.

Originally posted by HJ-Cirakin@Jun 14 2006, 09:01 AM
G4TV openly mocked the booths in Kentia hall, which is where all the small companies are located.
G4 is like that kid in school who thought he was cool, but everyone really hated him. Independant game companies (ones without the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to surround you every second of every day with billboards and commercials and banner ads and pictures on car doors) have always been the ones to come out with the best ideas- just look at gaming's past.