English Help

m<o>j

Cadet
We're reading 'Of Mice and Men' in school at the moment. Today. was. hilarious. A' 'ight, part of today was. We were in English today, and we were discussing the book^, and our teacher goes 'Where do you think George and the boys went?'

And this girl in my class (Lets call her Donna.) Donna goes "They went to Suzy's, to make friends."

And them our teacher stops the class, from our uncontrollable laughter, and makes it so much worse by going "OK. Do any of you know what a 'euphanism' is?"

*cue more laughing*

"See, what Donna has done here is, instead of saying 'They went to a *h**e-house to have sex with prostitutes.', she has used the euphanism 'to make friends'"

*Cue rolling on the floor, laughing our arses off!*

A' 'ight. *Composes herself* It was side-splittingly-funny at the time.

Also funny was the time when we came into class, and Donna was sitting there, and then another girl just came in and looked at her and was like "Is she chong?", and it was so obvious that she was, and our supply teacher was just laughing at her, plus me, and my friends Nana and Wardat were screwing with her head, and taping her crazed conversation!

Anyone else got any funny school/work stories to share?

A sunday school story:

When I was younger we were studying King Saul, who along with his wife had I think 300 some concubines, but I didn't know what they were.

So I asked what a concubine was. Apparently I was the only one who didn't know, and everyone began to laugh, it only got worse once the teacher started to explain.

Lucy ;)

haha......:lol: oh and I rememeber that part of the book ;)

oh...and I didn't know that word either :lol:

Oh....well last year I had bio....and my bio class tends to be really loud all the time....adn my teacher was a bit oblivious....so during the class.....my teacher mentoned a word that sounded like a certain nasty word....and everyone realized except her...adn tehy all stayed quiet until she realized herself and started cracking up....and then she kep ttelling everyone to stop laughing but kept laughing her own ass off :confused:

oh and then there was this other time....when we were reading....Oedipus I think....and for those taht are unfamiliar with that story.....this man was destined to kill his faterh and marryhis motehr....so yea....we were all playing parts....and no one knew what teh story was about....so this guy picked Oedipus, this otehr guy picked the mother, and this otehr guy got the role of the father....and it had several profane, obscee words, which my teacher didn't restric against saying....so it was an entire period of uncomfortable readings....and the teacher wouldn't switch tehir parts back.....it was hilarious....you'd have to be there to get teh gist of it :lol:

:lol: oh man,that's good. That's great. :lol:

I hated the ending of "Of Mice and Men"! It was so sad! It almost made me cry too! *sigh*

Um... I think the only funny story i can share with my english class is in grade 9. There was this girl who always laughs when my english teacher says the world "Sex" so one day, my english teacher decided that she would say "sex" for about 10 times in a row, and the girl laughed till she was about purple :lol: It's more or less of a "you have to be there" moment :lol:
--mandy :angelic:

YES! Just recently too! Some funny stories by the way. And Mandy, the last time I laughed when someone said 'sex' i was like, 10. That girl had issues. :lol:

So one time during lunch, my friends and I all decided to go to class like 15 minutes early for the heck of it. So our teacher wasn't there and she had left her glasses in the room. So for awhile it was more of a 'you hafta be there thing' with putting on glasses and giving ridiculous lessons about nerds and pointing with a meter stick. But one time, my bud Jon, he decided it was his turn to be the teacher. He was 'Mrs. Manner.' So he's like being hecka strict and this dude, David is all raising his hand and talking like a little kid and going, "Teacher! Teacher!" Then all of a sudden, outta nowhere, Jon goes, "I know how to pole dance..." And we're all: :laughbounce: So then David's all like, "DO IT!" and then Jon pretends that the meter stick is the pole and he's all eh.. doing it. And then he gets behind this cabinet door and winks and David and does the 'come here' thing with his hand. David gets what's going on while we all watch. And then they pretend to dirty dance and make out and stuff. And we're just laughing out asses off. And then David walks out and sits down while Jon's hair is disheveled and so is his shirt and he makes the glasses all funky and he's all walking funny and then talks in a girl's voice, "That was the best time of my life!" And we just laughed s'more. But later in school Jon's all like, "Everybody! I have an announcement to make! ........... It's a girl!" Then we laughed. And that was it! Dirty lil 13 year-olds... :mellow: :run: Luckiliy our teacher didn't walk in until we were done. :mellow: :run:

I absolutly hate writing portfolios. I think they're the most awful things ever. And I hate how we have to write one every year even though we're only being scored our senior year. I think some of my friends don't have to write them. So I was wondering who all did, and just general talk. And help, I always end up having to add lots of big words so my papers meet the lenght requirements.

For english for the last two year's I've had to do a writer's Portfolio but now I'm taking writer's craft so I'm writing everyday and I have a different English teacher this year. ;)
--mandy :angelic:

I had one last year for English, it was mostly just finding A LOT of felgercarb online, copying and pasting, summarzing more felgercarb, make up some felgercarb... and an analytical essay. Oh and a title page. I'm pretty sure I'm missing a lot, I still need to go get it back and find out my grade! ^_^

Last year, there was about 16 essays total for the year (so between 8-9 essays a semester) that we had to have in our portfolio. But, they were all works we had already done for a grade.

--jenn :juggle:

Please help! Has anyone read this book [Black Like Me]? If so, and if you have any ideas to about how it functions as a satire, please share. :smiley:

hi, I need some help figuring out a plot for my short story in english, I was thinkg about having related to alias, but that would be copying the characters from the show, and that would go over to well with my teacher. I have to come up with new characters and a plot, so I was wondering if someone could give me suggestions on character names and what they would look like and how they would act, and a bit of the plot.

I have come up with th title: "Classified"

i guess it would be like righting a pilot for a new tv show, just in story form and not in a script.

Well first of all, you have to come up with a plot. YOU have to know what YOU are writing before you start writing. I could easily give you some ridiculous plot to write about but you would have no idea how to develop it. Think about characters, would you have a female as a main character or male? Antagonist? Foils? Are you trying to tell a moral? You need to find a theme.

For characters, maybe base their personality off of you and your friends, that might be an easy way to go. Put you and your friends in a spy-like situation and imagine how each of you would react.
--Mandy :angelic:

Or, you could try reading the newspaper, a book, or even some fanfiction here on AA for inspiration. Some songwriters do these things to help cure writer's block. Music is a great inspiration, I've written four short stories based off of songs.

my main charcter would be female...
I started the beginning, I decided to start out with my main character trying to revive her partner who was shot, and an ambulance is on it's way. Than I was thinking of her running off when the ambulance gets there and she seeks revenge or something...goes rogue. Than she runs in to a nemisis, a guy...equivalent of anna. and now I dont' have any ideas for the plot.

I know that I wan to end the story with a cliff hanger....when the girl says something like oh my god. or I cold just writ: she was standing there in awe, not believing what she was seeing.Why?

Back