Politics Europe Rethinks War On Terror

Sophie

in love
Newspapers in Spain and other European countries are describing the devastating bomb attacks in Madrid as Europe's 11 September - or 11-M, standing for 11 March.

America's war on terror has been seen differently on this side of the Atlantic. So how far will that change now?
The suicide hijackings directed at New York and Washington came as a huge shock to Americans. Before 2001, their sense of invulnerability at home was virtually intact.
In contrast, Europeans have lived with the threat of terrorism for many years - from left-wing extremists in Germany in the 1970s, from neo-fascist militants in Italy, from the IRA in Northern Ireland and mainland Britain.
European governments have taken extra security measures in response to America's 9/11 and their peoples have become accustomed to that.

Shock

The Madrid bombings are not on the scale of 9/11. But they are marked by the same ruthless savagery and intent to inflict maximum harm.
That is undoubtedly a shock to people in Europe - even if the attacks were the work of Eta, it is a new Eta.
As the German newspaper Die Welt put it, what happened was the "al-Qaeda-isation" of European terrorism.
Public opinion may therefore be readier to accept more draconian security and restrictions on civil liberties, though that cannot be taken for granted.
There has been much criticism of Britain's decision in anti-terrorism legislation to opt out of a section of the European Convention on Human Rights - the only country to do so.

Response

Governments across Europe are now rethinking their strategies.
For example, a huge operation was already under way with international involvement to protect the Olympic Games in Athens in August.
Now the Greek government says the plan will be strengthened. It has asked Nato to help with security, for example in aerial surveillance.
The French government is calling in the military to reinforce police security for public transport.
The Italians have told the police and local authorities to tighten their precautions.
On a European level, some will make the case for more intense co-operation against suspected terrorists through the police agency Europol, and other EU institutions, as a matter of routine.

Target

Public reaction to the Madrid bombings would be more significant if it turned out that they were actually carried out by Islamic militants.
"That would be a new situation," in the words of the German Interior Minister, Otto Schily.
The same would apply if it were shown that Islamic militants were working with Eta - with a home-grown European group.
Most vulnerable to criticism would be the governments of Britain, Spain and Italy, which strongly supported the US and the invasion of Iraq.
UK Prime Minister Tony Blair would point to a speech he made last week, emphasising the continuing threat of global terrorism and describing it as "a new type of war".
But the Spanish government would have to deal with the accusation that its policies had made the country an al-Qaeda target.
Rallying public support against Eta, the familiar enemy, is a more comfortable situation to be in.

_39882080_train_ap_203_body.jpg

Source : BBC News

Million march against terrorism

Up to a million people are taking part in Madrid for a demonstration against terror, a day after at least 198 died in bomb attacks in the Spanish capital.

European leaders, including the prime ministers of France and Italy, are joining the protest in solidarity.
Officials say Basque militants from Eta are the main suspects, but the group is said to have denied involvement.
The denial was contained in a statement said to be from Eta and carried by Basque media.
The government says it is ruling out no line of inquiry. Some clues appear to implicate or Islamic radicals.
About 1,400 people were also injured in the attacks on Madrid commuter trains.
The BBC's Danny Wood in Madrid says the death toll is set to rise further, as hospital staff are trying to save the lives of more than 100 people with serious injuries.
Flags are flying at half-mast and schools and other public institutions have closed for three days of national mourning.
Political parties have halted campaigning for Sunday's general election.

March

Mass rallies are being held across Spain on Friday evening.
In Madrid huge crowds have gathered in the rain, clutching umbrellas, flags and poster denouncing terrorism.
They are being joined by Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, his French counterpart, Jean-Pierre Raffarin, and EU chief Romano Prodi.
A six-lane motorway through the capital has been closed off, to allow demonstrators to march to the railway station at Atocha - where the worst of the attacks took place.
Italy - a supporter of the US-led war in Iraq along with Spain - has increased security in case the attacks were linked to opponents of the invasion.
France has also raised its own security level and Portugal has boosted checks along its border with Spain.
Spanish Foreign Minister Ana Palacio earlier said everything appeared to implicate Eta in the attacks, with "very strong clues" and "very strong precedents" backing that view.
The group has previously targeted the Spanish railway system and two Eta suspects were arrested last month driving a truck loaded with more than 500kg of explosives headed for Madrid.

Conflicting evidence

But on Thursday the interior minister said a stolen van had been found near the route of the trains containing detonators and a recording of Koranic verses - possibly indicating Islamic militant involvement.
A message purportedly from the Abu Hafs al-Masri Brigades was also sent to a UK-based Arabic newspaper saying it had attacked "America's ally in its war against Islam" on behalf of al-Qaeda.
Spanish editorial writers are demanding answers before voters go to the polls, because the culprits' identity might influence people's choice of party.
The ruling Popular Party campaigned on a hardline stance against Eta, but it also defied popular opposition by supporting the US-led war against Iraq - which may have triggered an attack by al-Qaeda.
The task of identifying dozens of bodies is continuing more than 24 hours after the blasts.
Mr Aznar, who survived an Eta car bombing in 1995, is due to step down after a new government is formed.
Thursday's attack was the worst act of terrorism in modern Spanish history and the deadliest in Europe since the Lockerbie airliner bomb killed 270 in 1988.
Mr Aznar said 14 people of 10 different nationalities had been killed other than Spaniards, most of them from Latin America.
Forty experts have been drafted in and there has been a steady stream of grieving relatives at a large convention centre that is being used to house the dead.
Spanish TV stations have included a small red and yellow Spanish flag with a black sash in the corner of the screen.

KNOWN FOREIGN VICTIMS :
3 Peru
2 Poland
2 Honduras
1 France
1 Chile
1 Cuba
1 Ecuador
1 Guinea Bissau
1 Morocco
1 Colombia

_39878676_carriageap203.jpg

_39881938_203b_silence_afp.jpg
Madrid - and many other cities - came to a standstill for the silence.

_39883370_crowd_ap_203indx.jpg

Source : BBC News

it's really a tragedy that terrorists have won again, but i think that the spanish people will prevail just like the americans did, but hopefully the spanish prime minister wont do something stupid (like a Texan I know who lives in DC)

This made me incredibly sad when I heard what happened in Spain... what is our world coming to, when all people do is fight and kill each other?!

They are now many more indicators that this was the work of Al Qaeda, the f***ing cowards that they are, rather than ETA. The spanish authorities have found a tape with a message from Al Qaeda claiming it was responsible.

more at BBC website

There are 200 dead, the victim number 199 was a 7 month old girl, and 20 persons are critical, 400 persons continues in the hospitals. Madrid is devastated.

I lived in Madrid, and I've great friends in this city, They're fine. and I've family, My Cousin Paula was in the Atocha Station's Gate when the bombs exploded, She's scared but fine.

Yesterday, the police found a videotape with a Al-qaeda message. Al-qaeda says that they are the Attacks responsible. I believe that ETA and Al-Qaeda are allies, ETA is a Terrorist Group, not a Separatist Group.

The terrorism in Spain is habitual but this is ... I don't have words for explain it. The Americans knows this feeling, and the spanish people knew it two days ago. I don't have enough vocabulary for express my feelings. But I can say that I'm bad, sad, and I have a 'big' anger.

Thanks for the support. Spain needs a lot of Support. In Special European Union.

It's really horrible what occurred. To kill out of the poor people which don't have anything to see in their stories! Babies, children, the poor people which went quietly to their work. It doesn't have there words to qualify these monstrous acts!! I am deeply shocked.
Monday at midday, I have to respect the 3 minutes of silence like everywhere in Europe. It was one moment very moving. I was in class and very of a blow, everyone is to stop speaking.

It's sad with saying, but Europeans are a little "to accustom" to terrorism. I want to say by there that there already were many attacks and I think of the attacks in the subway in Paris into 95. I would have been a little older, I would have can be been in the subway!
This evening, I learned by news that France was threatened by a threatening letter sent to the chief of the government. It makes fear. But precisely, it's what the terrorists seek to do. One should not especially panic. It would be to enter their play!
Nous sommes tous des Madrilènes : We all are Inhabitants of Madrid!!

My heart goes out to the people of Spain. Spaniards wanted peace all along, as did the rest of Europe(I was there shortly before the war), when they all rallied against the war in Iraq. Now, 200 people are dead because Spain was pressured to send troops to Iraq.

I'm glad they're pulling out and I hope this is a wake up call for Bush. Not everyone supports your agenda of a world where you've made Americans live in fear and to overcome that fear you justify taking over the world. (I wonder who's next?)

lets not forget the war being raged in the Middle East. U.S. war against terrorism has now spilled over onto Europe. France, Germany, and other European countries were right to stand behind the UN. A terror attack like this is a wake up call to other countries.

I think this was truly one of the greatest terrorist tragedies, because not only did it take 200 innocent lives and opened old wounds of people around the world, but was also an attack on anyone who lives in a democracy because it proved to the terrorists they could influence elections -_-

You know what pisses me off?! These little f***s kill innocent people everyday, then when the US and it's allies come after them they run! If i were a solider and found one of those damn terorrists i'd show him no mercy, he never showed mercy to the people he killed. Sorry, this just pisses me off.

Back