FFXIII

Daax

Cadet
Yes Final Fantasy XIII.

Not no. 12. I mean no.13.

FFXII won't be realeased in NA till September or so but ALREADY...SE has a trailer out for FFXIII. And for you ladies out there, it looks like the main character of this FF is a girl. She weilds some time of sword that kind of transforms in an assault rifle. Needless to say she's badass. You can find the trailer on IGN.com

No freaking way. Honestly Square-Enix needs to get FF12 out instead of delaying it more, and more. I'll definatly view the trailer. Nice find! Thanks!

FF3 for the win by the way..

aka FF6.

Yeah, this whole FFXIII thing looks a little funky. I was checking Square-Enix's site just yesterday for E3 announcements when I saw this title. Oddly enough, it seems that its going to be seperated into 3 different games - one of which is going to be for mobile phones. <_<

FFVI ftw indeed! Definately my favorite Final Fantasy (followed closely by FFIV). Interestingly enough, Square-Enix is released an entirely new version of FFIII (the real one for NES - never made it stateside). Its using some pretty oldschool 3D graphics, similar to those found on PS1 games. Hopefully the graphics remain unchanged.

For those of you who are royaly confused on which number in the series is which, here is a breakdown of the wierdness.

FFI - Released in Japan on the NES, then translated and brought over to the US.
FFII - Released in Japan on the NES, then never brought over to the US until a few years ago. It was released along with FFI for PS1 and GBA (and wonderswan) with updated graphics.
FFIII - Released in Japan on the NES. Once again, Nintendo of America didn't bring it over, feeling the market in the US had no place for such rpgs. Definately the hardest Final Fantasy ever made, with gameplay similar to FFV (I played an emulated, translated version). Finally gonna be released for DS, hopefully this year.
FFIV - Released in Japan for the SNES. When it was brought over to the US, they originally changed it to FFII because they skipped two games. Later released on PS, even later released on GBA. 2nd best FF in my opinion.
FFV - Released in Japan for the SNES. Featured a job system similar to FFIII. Later brought over to the US on PS. It actually retained its correct series number the entire time. Going to be ported to GBA.
FFVI - Released in Japan on the SNES. The story, graphics, music and gameplay are a masterpiece. Released in the US as FFIII (yeah, Nintendo of America skips a lot). Later released on PS as its true series number. Also going to be ported over to GBA. I highly recommend this game - if you only plan to play one final fantasy, this is the one.

FFVII and beyond - Most people are familiar with these games. Nintendo of America finally gets back on track, and stops switching around series numbers. Out of these games, I'd recommend FFIX as the one to play. FFVII is extremely overhyped, mostly because it was the first truely popular Final Fantasy in America. Seriously though - it dropped from having 4 or 5 characters in a group to just 3. The characters were extremely cliche. Ex: I'm the nonsocial protagonist with the oversized sword! Woot! or Look at me! I'm the steriotypical black man. I have a bad attitude and a penchant for cursing. I enjoy run-ins with the law. FFVIII was a less than spectacular title, made worse because of the hype from FFVII. FFIX was pretty good. The story was better than those of the last 2, and the characters were actually interesting. I recommend it to anyone who wants to try a new generation FF. FFX was alright - most notable things were the lack of an overworld and the skill sphere. FFXI was Square's foray into online games. Alright as a mmo, but dissapointing to those who enjoy the story and music of the series. FFXII and up, it still remains to be seen. :blink:

Hope this is helpful to those wondering why the heck some FFs have different titles, or anyone interested in the history of the series.

Thank you volund. Finally, someone who agrees with me. FFIX was definetly the best FF on the PS. It is still my favorite. FFVII is cliche, sterotypical, and just all-around mediocre. I've never actually played much of any of the SNES or NES FFs.
I've heard nothing but good things about FFVI, other than that it is really really hard. I'll have to try it one day.

And I checked IGN. They also already have a sequal in the works to FFXIII, and a prequal game for your cellphone! gorram, SE is hauling ass. :blink:

Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be on the Playstation 3.

Here's the link to the FFXIII trailer - http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/826/826843/vid_1493515.html

Hurray more Final Fantasy Nuts like me :smiley:

I'm glad to finally meet people that think VI is the best of the series. VII gets all the hype because it's the first one people really noticed. VI was so much better though...I mean what other game out there lets you have a sasquach as a player character(sorta) ?

IX was very good too though. I loved how you got abilities and such in that game...HJ devs should take note hehe.

I'm a little worried about the future of Final Fantasy though. I mean the games seem to be degrading. X was good, heck it was the first one in a long time that I played through more then once, but it seems all the major hands in Final Fantasy have left Square and formed Mistwalkers. XII is going to be a big game for me, if only to see if the series still has life in it.

Oh is anyone as big a fan of the music as I am ? :D

<has soundtracks for VI-XI and gone to "Dear Friends" concert in Chicago...and has tickets to Play! :P

IX was my favorite but I never finished it.

X made me quit their console games, probably for good.

XI made me quit any ideas for mmos they may ever have again.

I never finished IX either even though it was my favorite. I got to the last boss but it was my firsat time playing through and all my characters weren't prepared and at like lvl 60. So Necron freakin owned me 30 times.

X was good and bad in many ways.

XI is something I both love and hate. I want to choke it while I have sex with it.

Originally posted by Daax@May 17 2006, 07:15 PM
I never finished IX either even though it was my favorite. I got to the last boss but it was my firsat time playing through and all my characters weren't prepared and at like lvl 60. So Necron freakin owned me 30 times.

X was good and bad in many ways.

XI is something I both love and hate. I want to choke it while I have sex with it.
I'm sure there are other analogies to use ;)

~ Jaraeth

Personally I liked X. The story was pretty cool, I didn't exactly like not having a map though, nor did I like some of the characters (Kimhari was cool but seemed pretty useless since you could switch characters out at will there is no need for a jack of all trades type character,) and I was iffy on the grid lvl system.

That said, I think it was a cool change/expiriment. They are trying to find new ways to do things (You know who else is doing that? Oh yeah, Simutronics.) It wasn't the best game ever or anything, but it wasn't bad.

XIII I hate with a passion solely because I would need to sell a kidney and promise the souls of my first 7 children to satan in order to buy a PS3 to play it on. Then I would still need to find money to buy the actual game.

XI was interesting for awhile, but I quit after I spent two weeks trying to get the item for the dual class thing. I finally got it but then thought, "Is it going to be like this for every big quest?" Plus I realized it was still constant grinding and no RP and I HATE that.

VII was good, I dont udnerstand the cliche and stereotypical remark. Maybe you can explain it to me.

Czi

Old Kimhari was a good back up healer for me :smiley:. Once he learned White Wind he was very usefull...well that and I grid him mostly combat heavy/black magic.

I guess later he would have been. But unless I concentrated on bringing him in I always forgot to because the situation never called for it early on. He ended up too far behind to be useful. But I could see him becoming a backup healer.

Czi

Yeah I saw that! Hehe. I wonder if they'll ever get to a point where you can choose to be a male or female main character. LoL! Not enough FF leads..only ones I know of are Terra, and Yuna in FFX-2.

FFXI had a great concept. But they should of made it PC exclusive so it didn't have to have the chalky stoney graphics and the really bad interface :rolleyes:

I NEVER used Kimahri. He just didn't really do anything too useful. My main man was Auron. I got him into Tidus's sphere grid and got him more speed so he could be both super strong and fast.

Back