Final Fantasy Advent Children

Nnem said:
P.S. You guys remember the old Final Fantasy Movie (The spirits within) that came out some years ago?
I own it, haven't seen it however. My mom's boyfriend had it when he moved out of NY to us (CA)

Its a good watch, spend a couple hours on it...Is def worth it.

Just dont go in expecting something like Advent Childern ^^;;

Zink said:
I wasn't even sure if it had anything to do with FF when I saw it. Don't expect an anime.

Originally, the Final Fantasy series had a 'save/protect your planet' theme. In recent years that has been less strictly held to, but all of the crystal based games, up to and including 9, along with FF7 have had the same theme as The Spirits Within. Many people play the games and never pick up on the environmental message within them. The movie, however, came and spelled it out as only FF7 did (I mean, how many games have you playing as environmental warriors (or terrorists depending on your perspective)/Gaia-theorists?)

I just recently watched advent children and in all honesty I was amazed. Now granted its not a whole lot like the games but you can def tell the similaritys and the story wasn't all that bad either. All in all a great flik to watch.

Spirits within was oddly one of my favorite movies when it came out and its still one of those ya can pop in now and again and still enjoy watching it.

My partner would argue that this movie stunk, but I liked it, simply for the CGI based movie that it is. Sure it may not have stuck to Final Fantasy the game all that well, but it wasn't supposed to in my eyes. I did enjoy watching it though.

I was impressed with Spirits Within when it was released.
Same with AC too. Both were huge advancements in the CG business.
Kind of interesting for me was that when I first watched AC, I was sitting in my animation(3DS Max) class. My friend had it on his laptop which sat between our monitors. So the teacher was cool about it and occasionally watched bits of it with us.

Well, Leo and I watched it last night... scant storyline... lots of fighting... pretty to look at. That just about sums it up.

FF done to Thriller... I'm sorry I watched that ;)

I like MJ actually, and I like FF... but the two... together? I dunno. My head is set to spinning.

I think FF:spirits within wasn't so hot, because it had almost nothing to do with final fantasy. and the ending mad me cry. ;_;

FF:AC, I think was really good. But of course, the general population said it was bad because, well, you can never truly make fans happy. They all become critics of every little thing because they each want it their own way.

Daax said:
FF:AC, I think was really good. But of course, the general population said it was bad because, well, you can never truly make fans happy. They all become critics of every little thing because they each want it their own way.
So you weren't put off by the fact there was very little story and, basically, it was just a string of fight scenes? Still, I guess you're young and all that.

Daax said:
...FF:spirits within... ...and the ending mad me cry. ;_;

Sounds like it's time for more of that Demolition Man and beef jerky you mentioned in the 'Tuscan Sun' thread. :P2

ok i have never played a FF game. i really like Spirits. i didnt know this new movie existed.

so Spirits had nothing to do w/ FF? what is FF about? they are all sequels but i heard that one has nothing to do w/ the previous games? sorry i know nothing about the franchise.

i can see this new one on youtube?

It will be pretty easy to find this new one on youtube. I cant curently go there or i would give a link, im sorry :(

Spirits has absolutley nothing to do with the FF games. Nothing.

The FF series are not sequels to eachother. (Excluding FFX, and FFX-2)
They just keep the same name because it has become to popular. Its also become kind of an icon of square/square-enix.

They do usually have a similiar plot of course. World threatened by evil, unlikely hero comes along. I make it sound stale when really it isnt.

I would reccommend that you play these games if you ever get a chance. FFVII is the most popular one people like to play... You should look into it if you can :smiley:

Doc:

The FF games are tied together by the same creator, same character/costume designer, and pretty much the same music composer. They have similar combat styles though that is changing with the newer games. Many of the games have been about saving 'crystals' which usually protect the world in some fashion. The vast majority of the games have been about saving the planet (whichever planet that might be in a particular game) from environmental degredation/badguys/extra-planetary beings that want to absorb it.

The Spirits Within captured the essence of that "saving the planet" mentality, but other than that, really had nothing to do with the content of the games- aka random monster battles, dragons, swords, spells, blend of high-tech and low-tech (sword vs. machine gun = even battle), and so on.

As far as the movie goes- FF: Advent Children is a 'sequel' to FF7. It picks up a few years after the game left off and contains all the same main characters with some new additions. It also contains some plot sequences that are very familiar to anyone who has played the game. I imagine it's a fun watch if you know nothing about the game, but fairly devoid of meaning (though don't get me wrong- it's an action flick, not a deep philosophical movie). The official DVD version has a review of the events of FF7 for those who haven't played it so they can understand more of the movie.

Back