Freedom

A/N: Sorry for the first post. I was something weird so the text didn't show..This is for the death fic contest.

I can't really explain the timeline, but the death happened in late season 4.

Take your eyes off me

If anyone asked me if Sydney Bristow was my daughter, I’d tell them she used to be.
If anyone asked me if I knew Michael Vaughn, I’d tell them I used to.

There’s nothing here to see

It felt like such a long time ago now.
I know I’m starting to turn old.
Or did that happen years ago?
Well, it doesn’t really matter.

Just trying to keep my head together

It was a long time ago.
The shot had been loud. Not different than any shot, but Michael Vaughn had heard the difference. His face had turned white, and then he’d ran towards where the shot came from.
I didn’t understand why he was running.

And as we make our vow

It was just a shot. Probably one in the team shooting a bad guy.
As usual.
We had heard many shots in that minute, but he knew when he heard that one. He just knew.
I ran after him of course.

Let us remember how

I hadn’t expected it.
Maybe Michael had, but I hadn’t.
I couldn’t move.
My daughter. On the ground. Not moving.
The blood.
It was so much blood.
I still couldn’t move.
Michael was different.
He screamed, he shook her. He begged for God to give her back to him.
But nothing happened. Minutes later, he realized she wouldn’t do as she usually did. She wouldn’t stand up, hug him, and tell him she was going to be okay. When he had realized that, he took her lifeless body in his arms and stood up. He buried his face in to her neck, and silently cried.

There’s nothing good that lasts forever

That was a long time ago.
I’ll never forget that day.
That feeling, that pain in my heart when I saw her.
I’ll never forget Michael’s face when he saw her.
He wanted to bury her beside Danny, he knew it was the right thing to do.

Time out on the running boards

No one thought he’d ever get over her.
Everyone mourned her, but not as long as Michael.
After her death, he used to come to work as usual every morning.
He was never late, but he always looked depressed. But Michael Vaughn had learned his lesson, he never drank alcohol during that time.
But I do think he wanted to die sometimes. He accepted dangerous missions, and I had to save him several times. And we both knew he could’ve saved himself, but I never said anything to him about it.

We’re running through a world that lost its meaning

One day, we both worked late. I was tired and thought about going home, when I looked over at Michael and changed my mind. I walked over to his desk, and I told him it was enough.
He asked me what I meant.
I told him about a clear memory I have. Sydney was five. Irina had just baked about fifty cookies. She had left all the cookies on the counter, and left the kitchen to do something. She came back ten minutes later, and all the cookies where gone. Irina asked Sydney, who were in the kitchen, where they were. Sydney just gave her a full blown smile and replied calmly ’In my stomach of course’. Sydney had eaten fifty cookies in less than ten minutes.
When I had told the story, I could see Michael smile a little. Then he stood up and said ’Thank you Jack’ and left.
That was the last time I ever saw him.
All I found out next morning, was that Michael had left the CIA and wasn’t coming back.

Trying to find a way to love

I didn’t hear anything about him, until a few years later. He’d sent me a letter. It was not very long, but it meant so much.
He told me he lived in Chicago these days. He sent me a picture of him, a pretty woman and two children, a boy and a girl. He told me it was his family. He said he was happy now, truly happy.
He said he loved his wife, really loved her.
But he also said that he’d never been so close to loving someone,
as much as he loved Sydney Bristow.

This running
Ain’t no kind of freedom

THE END

Song: "Freedom" by David Gray.

Let me know what you think.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
That's soo sad and yet so sweet.
I love that it's from Jack's P.O.V. I think that was a great idea.
I'm glad Vaughn could move on with his life and still honour Sydney's memory.

Back