General Book Talk

please tell me it wasn't the storyline that put you off, but rather JK's writing skills :smiley:

(theres another thread that answer could go in though!)

No, it was not the story; it was the writing style. The first book seemed to a fair amount of English slang (bloke, bloody...), and not having grown up with that, I found it to take away from the book. However, the books success is very telling of her popularity and ability.

Trooper said:
No, it was not the story; it was the writing style. The first book seemed to a fair amount of English slang (bloke, bloody...), and not having grown up with that, I found it to take away from the book. However, the books success is very telling of her popularity and ability.
True, it did have a lot of slang and that was pretty good in my Sense.

the slang is used by schoolkids in day schools here or easily adopted. if you were to compare against slang used in Just William and Billy Bunter novels set in boarding school environments it might just be too crass and unreadable not only for non-UK readers but modern UK readers!!!

luckily my military boarding school education was no-nonsense so slang was at a minimum (although can't so as much for the level of swearing and sporadic violence to resolve our frustrations, i had so many blackeyes i remember getting conjunctivitus!)

no "creative license" over what exactly the movie guys choose to remove/replace from the book!

very few times have people tried to keep true to the books, Dune and the new Asylum production of WOTW both failed/look like they are going to fail for numerous reasons

Hp

I'm not trying to state that the movie and book follow each other exactly, I just can't get into the books but still find the movies entertaining. I agree that the book is almost always better than the movie, no matter what it is.

Anne Rice books?

Has anyone here read any Anne Rice books? Here is a link about "The Witching Hour" by Anne Rice: MsJekYll'z Web - The Lives of the Mayfair Witches Sayanara, David

:turbo:

bcook128 said:
Just curious.....are the Harry Potter books worse than,same as, or better than the movies? Books usually are better, but HP seems like the type that could follow the books pretty well (plot conversion seems highly possible). I really liked the movies and I was just wondering if I should spend the time reading the books, if they're the same, I'll save my cash.

You can always check them out of the public library if there's one in the town you're in. David

:xwing:

Back