Her Royal Duties

that was GREAT!!!
i have to admitt though, Hamley makes me think of Ham, lol...or the name of that little pig on PBS....LOL
you did an excelent job on that chap!
and Vaughns gonna work at the palace isnt he? MEET HER?!?!?! of course im right! lol
thanks for the PM, and PLEASE update soon!!

I can see how Vaughn ans Syd will meet already
I'm glad Mrs. Vaughn already likes her
Thanks for the PM
Update again soon

Oooooooh interesting! Must have more! More more more! :lol: Can I please get a pm when you update?

Cai
x

ooo are they going to meet at the Christmas party? :confused: or maybe Vaughn will get a job at the palace!! :smiley:

thanks for the pm and update soon!! :D

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Chapter 3.</span>

The music from the nightclub blasted around them as Micheal, and his two friends Josh and Adam sat the the bar drinking beers. Down below, people were dancing crazily having the time of their lives. It was close to midnight and Michael needed this night to blow off steam.

"Hmmmm...are you going to call that number your dancing friend gave to you, Vaughn?" Josh teased elbowing Michael in the arm laughing.

"No, do you want it?" Vaughn (Michael's nickname) asked waving the number in his face.

"ABSOBLOODYLUTELY!" Josh yelled snatching the piece of paper out of Vaughn's hand.

"You are woman crazy..that's what you are!" Vaughn laughed taking a sip of his beer.

"Uh...yeah," Adam replied, "We all are...we all just can't get the girl as easy as you can!"

"I wonder why," Vaughn joked, "You, Josh, don't have any respect for women and Adam you're a slob!"

"Uh..i'm not a slob..I'm just not very neat," Adam replied in defense.

"You know who is absolutely gorgeous," Josh said guzzling down his drink and ordering another one.

"Who now?" Adam and Vaughn replied.

"That gorgeous princess. Princess Sydney! She's coming back from the States tomorrow," Josh said clinking glasses with Adam and Vaughn.

"And she's single tooo!" Adam yelled, "She wants marriage so I guess that leaves Josh out!"

"Thanks dumbass!"

"She is one hell of a lady," the bar tender said handing Adam a martini.

"And how would you know?" Josh asked taking a drink.

"My brother went to school with her for a year ova in America," the bartender replied, "Supposedly she's a player and dated four guys at once."

"Maybe Josh had a chance with her then," Vaughn laughed punching him in the arm.

"Yeah, sure, hate you inform you chaps but don't listen to the news reports. She is definately serious about the Prime Minister's son. Over summer break, he supposedly came to her school and they were more than friendly. Now that's a guy she'd marry. Money, reputation, class," the bar tender said.

"Hey!" Adam said, "False hope is better than no hope at all."

Vaughn yawned, "I'm gonna head home. I have class tomorrow and job hunting to do."

"The life of Michael Vaughn," Adam shouted, "BORING!"

"I still can't believe you want to be a Brit history teacher," Josh laughed.

"Hey- who's the one in college and looking towards a productive future?" Vaughn reminded them.

"Hell...we're 18/19. We're gonna have fun while we can," Adam said guzzling down another beer.

"Bye guys," Vaughn said leaving the club.

His friends weren't exactly focused but being around them felt good- it made him not forget how to have fun.
________________________________________________________________________________

Sydney sat in the back seat of a Bentley riding through the streets of London. It felt good to her to be back in her country yet she was already missing her friends and surprisingly missing Jack. Clouds formed in the sky and the threat of rain was clear. Yet again, when isn't rain a threat in England? Sydney stared out the window as they drove past shops she once went to and the candy store her nanny would take her too on their daily outtings. It all seemed so strange now.

Suddenly, Buckingham Palace came into view. At least one hundred people crowded near the gates being controlled by police officers.

"Oh my god," Sydney said as the gates opened and they drove in.

They drove down the long paved driveway to the back of the palace where an older man was standing dressed in a suit presumably waiting for her arrival. It was her butler, Paul. He had been her butler and friend since she was six years old up until the time she left for Hamley at age thirteen. When she was younger, he'd always sneak hamburgers to her since her parents hated fast food or just have a good listening ear. Sydney got out of the car and hugged Paul tightly.

"It is so great to see you!" Sydney said loudly.

"It is nice to see you to your royal highness," Paul said politely taking some of her luggage and leaving the driver to carry the rest.

"Wow," she said as they walked in and the servants scurried around, "This place hasn't changed."

"Yes, not much has changed except it is a bit more cheery," Paul commented as they got into the elevator, "Now, once your luggage is put in your room, Her Majesty has requested to see you right away, and you will have breakfast with her in her breakfast room. After that, you will have an hour to unpack your things. At eleven o'clock, you have a hair appointment with Jean Paul, and then you will accompany Her Majesty to lunch at a local restaurant. At five o'clock, Her Majesty has invited two of her closest friends Lord and Lady Huntley along with their son Sir Lawerence Huntley to dinner in honour of your homecoming. It is formal attire so between the hours of three and four, Miss Penelope Jameston will come to your room with several gowns for you to try on and choose on to wear tonight."

By the time Paul's speech was over, the luggage was put in Sydney's magnificent room and Paul stood in the hallway waiting. Sydney was in awe of her already packed schedule. She didn't know when she'd get a chance to call Amanda, Jenny, Marie, or Jack. All in the life of royalty, she thought.

"Paul, when do I get a chance to relax?" Sydney asked taking off her hat.

"Between the hours of 2-4, Your Royal Highness."

"Call me Sydney please."

"Your Royal Highness, it is five minutes to eight o'clock. You are having breakfast with Her Majesty at nine. Let's hurry up."

Sydney followed Paul through the halls and past servants whispering and curtsying at Sydney.

"Hi," she said informally to all of them with a little wave.

After a five minute walk to the breakfast room, Paul opened the doors letting light into the hallway.

"Her Royal Highness, Your Majesty," Paul said letting Sydney in.

A older woman, who didn't look eighty five, sat at a table next to a wall of windows sipping orange juice.

"Sydney," she said turned towards her granddaugther, "Come in."

Sydney walked towards her grandmother and the Queen embraced her in a hug, "Hello Grandmother."

Sydney sat down and crossed her ankles and put her legs to one side like she was taught to do when she was young.

"You look so much older than when I last saw you," the Queen said as two men brought in trays of food, "I do hope you still like pancakes and waffles."

"Yes, I do," Sydney laughed.

"How was your homecoming?" The Queen asked folding her napkin in her lap.

"My flight was good. Lots of turbulance. Paul greeted me when I got here," Sydney replied taking a sip of her tea.

"Before we eat, there are a few things that I would like to discuss with you," the Queen said motioning for one of her attendents to bring her a scheduling book, " Sydney. You are going to be Queen of this country soon with out a doubt. Your Uncle Charles has told me that he will not be taking the throne. So, that leaves you. It is a hard job- take it from me. I was lucky enough to rule England threw a very propersous time but that doesn't mean it wasn't difficult. The people do not know you like they know me. You have to become the People's Princess. What I mean by that is, reach out to your people now. Do charity work, visit less fortunate people. And most importantly, do it from your heart. Let the people know you care now so that when it is time for you to step up, you will have won your people's acceptance. Do you understand?"

Sydney nodded. Her grandmother was so eloquent and verbose. She knew exactly what to say, when to say it, and how to speak.

Sydney doubted whether she could do that, " I understand."

"Good. Next, our country is full of history- past and present. It is very important for you to know that history and understand it. So, I have enrolled you in a full year course of British History at The Royal College of Studies. You will have to learn to manage your time. You'll have to take this course and keep up your social duties."

"I understand," Sydney said polietly as she sipped her tea, "When do the classes beginning?"

"Tomorrow. Eight am until ten am. Paul is aqqainted with the professor of the course. He is supposed to be a very well educated man," the queen informed her.

A waitor appeared at the door. The Queen signaled that they were not ready to eat. Everything ran on silent signals in the house.

"I have one more thing to discuss with you before we begin our meal," The Queen replied, "As a Queen, it is your....well...the public has a tendency to accept a female ruler if she is married. It might be a good idea to keep that in mind. Now, let us eat."

Sydney knew that would come up. She suddenly wished she was at Hamley.

Pushing her into getting married huh?
Well, Vaughn is single!
Ask him out!
Why do I have a feeling that Vaughn and Sydney will be in the same class tomorow?
Just a feeling
Thanks for the PM
Update again soon please

:D hehe i'm guessing that Sydney and Vaughn are gonna be meeting in the history class tomorrow!! :jump:

"I have one more thing to discuss with you before we begin our meal," The Queen replied, "As a Queen, it is your....well...the public has a tendency to accept a female ruler if she is married. It might be a good idea to keep that in mind. Now, let us eat."

the Queen shouldn't be forcing her to get married! :rolleyes: but i suppose it'll be ok when she meets Vaughn...she can marry him :D lol

thanks for the pm

that was REALLY good!
i take back my last theory, and wish to speculate a new one!
since Syd and Vaughn are going to be in the same calss, i presume they will meet there, lol...hehe, i know, im a little late, LOL...
and her Grandmother shouldnt FORCE her into marriage, BUT she wasnt really was she? she was basically just telling her to 'think' about it....and Syd needs to just take one look at Vuaghn and like go to her grandmother and say 'can you FORCE a man to marry me?' LOL
thanks for the PM, PLEASE update soon!

i absolutely love this! i can't wait for vaughn and syd to meet... it's so exciting, update soon please! and if i'm not on the pm list add me please! thanks

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Chapter 4. </span>

Hours had past. Sydney lay her on bed absolutely exausted. She tilted her head to look at the diamond and gold wall clock. It read ten minutes to three.The days events rolled past her in her mind over and over. She had breakfast with her grandmother at nine. That went fairly well- except for the husband part. Un-packing (the worst part of a trip) came next. After spending a little too much time un-packing, Sydney was late to her hair appointment. Jean Paul, the royal hair dresser, wasn't happy with her tardiness nor her hair. He trimmed the ends and flat ironed it. Lunch with the Queen in the city followed. Sydney put back on the suit that she arrived in and joined her the Queen on the driveway. Each month, the Queen makes it her priority to dine for lunch at different restaurant.She chose a classic cafe. Of course, the press followed and interrupted them through out the meal. Sydney couldn't wait to see what was on the evening news that night- her perhaps? She got in from lunch twenty minutes ago. Now it was her time to relax. In ten minutes, Miss Jameston would be coming with her selection of gowns for tonight. Even though the royal life was somewhat exciting to Sydney and new at the same time, all Sydney wanted to do was call her American friends back home.

A knock came from the door.

"Who is it?" Sydney asked sitting up on her bed.

"Miss Penelope Jameston, ma'am," the woman said, "I am here with your dress selection."

"Come in," Sydney said sitting up on her bed.

Penelope came in with four racks full of dresses behind her. She polietly curtsied and stood by the rack.

"What am I supposed to do?" Sydney asked kicking off her shoes.

"Her Majesty enformed me that you are having dinner with Lord and Lady Huntely along with their son Sir Lawrence Huntley. It is formal so men are expected to wear tuxedos and the women should wear a gown. Being that it is the holiday season, I chose colours that are appropriate for the season and your skin tone. Might I suggest a cranberry or a green?" Penelople said seperating the two colours on the racks, "These two are very nice."

Penelope held up a cranberry colour gown that was strapless with a matching shawl. It wasn't smashing but it was pretty.

Sydney scrunched her nose.

"What about that one?" Sydney asked pointing to a gorgeous European Satin gown with band bordering the neckline and criss-cross banding on the front of the bodice in a cranberry colour.

Sydney loved it, " I love it."

" I will put it aside just incase you see something else you like."

There was one black and cream dress that caught Sydney's eye, "The black and cream one."

Penelope pulled out the black and cream dress. It was a European satin gown with contrasting spaghetti straps. It had contrasting band with an off center bow border the topand the seam at the natural waist. The covered buttons embellish the back stopping at the natural waist.

Before Sydney could say something, there was a knock on the door.

"Yes?" Sydney replied.

"This is Paul, your royal highness. You have a phone call."

"K Paul. Come in!" Syd said in a cherry voice as Paul opened the door. He had a telephone sitting on a silver tray.

"It is the Prime Minister's son, Charles Vlair," Paul informed her in a quiet voice.

"Hello?" Sydney said in a calm voice.

"Hello Syd. This is Charles Vlair- Prime Minister Vlair's son. You probably don't remember me from when we were children."

Sydney was surprised with him informality.

"I apologise, but my memory is foggy."

"That's quiet alright. I was just calling to welcome you back to London and to see
if you would like to have dinner tomorrow night."

Sydney half smiled. She remembered him faintly, "Uh, lemme check my day planner."

She put Charles on hold so he wouldn't hear.

"He is asking me to dinner. Do I say yes? Do you have a picture of him?"

Penelope reached for a paparazzi paper she had in her bag. He was on the front cover. The headline read, "Charlie Vlair in relationship with Mary Kate Olsen." Sydney looked at his picture. He was gorgeous, sporty, and nothing like she remembered.

She picked up her phone again, "Charles, tomorrow evening sounds fine."

"Great, I'll send a car for you around 8. I'll see you then. Bbye."

"Bbye," Sydney replied.

Sydney decided on the second dress, "Thank you for coming, Penelope."

"Your welcome, ma'am," Penelope said pushing all the racks into the hall and shutting the door on the way out.

Sydney collapsed back on the bed. She had a formal dinner tonight and a date with Charles Vlair tommorrow night. It was three forty five. She had about an hour to relax before the dinner. She reached for the phone beside her bed and dialed Amanda's home number. As it rang she flicked on the television.

"Hello?" Amanda answered.

"Hey it's Syd!"

"Oh my god! I miss you so much! How's England? How's being a princess again? How's your grandmother?"

"England is good. Everything is sooo busy. My grandmother is good but busy."

"Tell me everything that you've done so far."

"Well, I ate breakfast with grandmother this morning, I unpacked, got my hair done, went to lunch with Grandmother, came back to Buckingham Palace, chose a gown for tonight, and now I'm resting."

"Why do you need a gown?"

"Because Grandmother has invited Lord and Lady Huntley and their son Sir Lawrence Huntley for a formal black tie dinner tonight."

"Oh would I love to do that! Have fun."

"Tomorrow, I have a British History class for two hours at The Royal College of Studies. How fun, right? I miss hanging out with you guys! And then tomorrow night, I have a dinner date with Charles Vlair, the Prime Minister's son."

"You are so lucky, you have a date with the Prime Minister's son. Is he cute?"

"Very! Think...uh...Paul Betny - cute," Syd replied glancing up at the TV at the sound of her name, "Hold on a second, I'm on TV."

News Anchor: "Today in Knightsbridge, the Queen and her granddaughter, Princess Sydney Anne, had lunch at "The Random House Cafe. Princess Sydney Anne has just returned from a five year trip to America to attend boarding school after the demise of her parents. She returned looking young, sharp, and healthy. She has kept from the press for five years up until now when she talked to the press in America. She said that once she returns to England she may take a course or two but mainly forfill her duty as Princess- a role she has escaped for five years. One reporter asked whether she will accept the throne once the demise of the elderly Queen Clarise who is currently eighty-five, and Princess Sydney will accept the throne. On a more personal level, Her Royal Highness's romantic life was probably the highlight of the interview. She explained that she is not involved with Michael McCallister, the son of the President of the United States. She also admitted that she had a steamy relationship with classmate Jack Davis. All you young bachelors out there will be happy to know that on her return to England she will be single and having marriage in mind."

Sydney had turned it up so Amanda could hear, "Did you hear that?"

"Yeah, it seems you are...uh...wanted by the men of England."

"They want to marry into the family- that's all they want."
________________________________________________________________________________

Mean while in her study, the Queen sat reading a copy of the latest afternoon news. A knock came from the door. It was her personal assistant, Allison.

"Yes Allison?"

"Ma'am, I have just received word tht Her Royal Highness has a dinner date with Charles Vlair tomorrow evening. Exactly how you ordered it."

"Excellent news, Allison. Thank you."

A maid, Mrs Vaughn, came into the room to clear away Sydney's tea cup, saucer, and plate. Sydney recognised from her childhood.

"Hold on 'Manda," Sydney said putting Amanda on hold.

"Mrs Vaughn?" she asked.

The maid curtsied and stood at attention, "Yes Ma'am?"

"I remember you from when I was small! Paul use to sneak cookies from you to give to me! Your cookies are delicious!"

"Thank you Ma'am."

"How are you? How's your family?"

"Fine. Thank you for asking, Ma'am."

Sydney smiled at her, "It is nice to see you again."

"It is nice to have you back, Your Highness," Mrs Vaughn replied curtsying good bye.

Sydney picked up the phone again, "Hey, sorry about that."

"So do you like the Charles guy?" Amanda asked.

"I don't know him very well. All I know is he's cute. Grandmother says that the people will accept a female ruler more if she is married," Sydney informed her.

"Oh.....Oh....Oh....meaning....you have to get married before she croaks."

"Eeexxacctttllyy," Sydney slowly uttered, "And she has to approve of him."

"At least your romantic life is better than mine. I haven't had a date in six months!"

"Don't worry. You'll have a date soon. How's Jack doing?"

Amanda was afraid to tell her what's happening with Jack. She had a feeling that
Sydney still had something left for him, "Uh..."

"Amanda?"

"Um....Do you remember Courtney O'Hara?" Amanda asked.

"Sure," Sydney replied, "She's been dating Jack ever since we broke up. About eight months probably. She's a little snobby. I don't particulary like her."

"Oh. Well, their married now."

Sydney nearly dropped the phone. She and Jack remained close friends- why didn't he tell her?

"THEY'RE MARRIED? THEY'RE 18!! AND WHY DIDN'T HE TELL ME!!"

"Uh, maybe I shouldn't have told you. You don't still.....you're over him right?"

"Um..Yeah..I..Yes...Uh...I dunno...Of course!" Syd replied stuttering over every word.

"Ok then," Amanda said.

They talked for another hour until about ten to five. Sydney got dressed and did her make up. Her hair was still styled from the morning. She snacked on fruit the whole day so she wasn't exactly hugry. The dress fit perfectly on her, though. She slipped on matching high heeled sandals. Her phone rang suddenly frightening her.

"Yes?" she answered.

"Her Majesty The Queen is waiting for you in the dining room," the male voice said.

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Chapter 5. </span>

Sydney glanced just one more time at herself in the mirror. Her dress fit her perfectly, her hair was still straight, and her make was done to perfection. She picked up the end of the dress and closed her bedroom door behind her. Maids and servants scurried into rooms so that they wouldn't cross a royal's path. If they didn't get out of the royal's way, they were to curtsy or bow. She stepped into the elevator and it opened right near the grand private dining room. The doors were shut and two servants stood by each door waiting to bring food it. Sydney took a deep breath in before the two sevrants gracefully opened the doors revealing Sydney to the dining room occupants.

"Her Royal Highness, Princess Sydney Anne," the butler said as Sydney stepped into the room and the doors closed behind her.

She was terrified- and late. Her grandmother sat at the end of the table in a two piece gown and a diamond tiara. To her grandmother's left sat Lord Huntley and his wife Lady Huntley. They were people around 70 although they looked much younger. To her Grandmother's right sat Sir Lawrence Huntley. To Sydney's amazement he was tall, young, and quiet handsome. He had blonde hair and blue eyes and wore a black tuxedo. Everyone in the room stood up.

"It is so good of you to join us, Sydney," the Queen greeted her.

Lady Huntley curtsied and Lord Huntley bowed, "It is so good to have you back in London. This is my son Lawrence."

As Sydney approached the table, Lawrence bowed and pulled out Sydney's chair for her next to him, "Your Highness."

Sydney sat down and servers brought out the first course: salad.

"How has your first day back been, Your Highness?" Lady Huntley asked.

"Very good, thank you, but busy. I guess I'm not used to such a busy schedule."

Everyone was quiet for a moment while they ate their salads.

"How is hunting, my Lord?" Sydney asked as she finished her salad and pushed her plate to the side.

Her grandmother had given her a list of things to discuss at the dinner table with Lord and Lady Huntley. Hunting was one of them.

"Ahh...yes...hunting. Quiet well, quiet well. We went out in Scotland this past weekend. It was such good fun. Do you hunt, Your Highness?" Lord Huntley asked.

"Uh, no. Not that I recall," Sydney replied.

"Father and I must take you some time," Lawerence interrupted.

After the plates were cleared from the salad, the Chief Chef walked into the dinning room and whispered something into the Queen's ear.

"Oh, I see," she said as the chef left, "Well, there has been some problems with the soup. It is my favourite recipe so I insisted that we not skip it. The soup should be done in approximately twenty minutes."

"That is no problem, Your Majesty," Lady Huntley assured her.

"Would you like to tour the Royal Gallery while we wait?" The Queen asked, "Sydney. Sir Lawerence. I'm sure that paintings of old ancestors wouldn't interest you much- would you like to walk around the Royal Gardens? They are very beautiful under the moon light?"

"Thank you, Grandmother," Sydney said as Sir Lawerence helped her up from her chair.

They took the back hallway and staircase down to the second floor. There were grand steps leading down into the garden.
Once they arrived in the garden, Sydney sighed.

"Is something wrong your Royal Highness?" Sir Lawerence asked.

"No Sir Lawerence. I think I'm just tired. You know jet lag. Call me Sydney, please. 'Your Royal Highness' sounds so stuffy," Sydney laughed.

"Ok, Sydney, call me Lawry," Lawry replied, "My insane grandfather was called Sir Lawrence all the time. So you can just imagine why I hate being called that."

"I'm guess you don't like these stuffy dinners either?" Lawry said as they walked through the gardens.

The trees were sculped and the hedges were perfectly trimmed. It was quiet beautiful just the different shades of green.

"Not really," Syd replied with a slight laugh holding up her dress, "I mean, the idea of tonight was kind of exciting at first. After all, I was at a boarding school for five years. Not exactly glamourous. Then I got into that room and had to remember all my manners, what topics to discuss, how to address people, how do sit properly. Quiet frankly, I'd be happy with a pizza in an apartment with the music blasting."

"Ahh..so your a partier?" Lawry said in an intrigued voice as they turned the corner.

Sydney laughed before speaking, "Since you aren't a member of the press, I guess I could tell you, I almost got thrown out of Hamley a couple months ago for getting drunk. I like a good party every so often- but I can be serious."

"Exactly. I'd rather be dancing at a club right now. Unfortunetly we can't ditch this dinner."

"I agree completely," Sydney replied.

"So how's the press been towards you?" Lawry asked as they sat down on a stone bench.

"Well, I had an interview with the press back at Huntley. I was terrible! I didn't know what to say and what not to say. I'm sure you heard the interview."

"Uh..yeah...can you say 'stutter'?" Lawry joked.

"Hey..I'm not an expert when it comes to the press...as you know," Sydney replied.

"So do you know your way around some of London's night clubs yet? Being that you're 18 and allowed in?" Lawry asked.

"I just got here today. I haven't exactly had time to check out the club scene. Wait how old are you?"

"I'm turning twenty next month," Lawry replied.

"Would you like to learn your way around London's hottest clubs? When are you free next?" Lawry asked suspiciously sounding attracted to Sydney.

"Um...I dunno. Tomorrow night like after 11? I'm having dinner with Charles Vlair at eight," Syd replied.

"Charlie Vlair- London's most notorious rich play boy," Lawry laughed with tenseness in his voice, "Why am I not surprised."

"Can you pick me up at eleven?" Syd asked wondering whether she should accept the invitation.

"Sure," Lawry said hold out his arm, "Shall we?"

"We shall," Sydney laughed taking his arm and walking back inside.

As they walked through the hallways, Sydney couldn't help but feel giggly and jumpy around Lawry. It was visible by anyone on the outside of them that just maybe..just maybe..sparks flew.

Back