I was wondering…

aliasjgfanaticmv said:
AliasALIAS said:
SiriCerasi said:
so... merge all of the random forums? how about just have one "talking thread" and then all of the others be specific, such as cats or colleges?
You mean random threads? That was an idea. To merge all random threads into one random thread, or as you put it, the talking thread. Other specific topics would be allowed, as long as they stayed on topic.
yeah but that will never happen. People almost never stay on topic, and you can't force them too. Eventually somebody would go offtopic.
yeah, that will definatly happen

aliasjgfanaticmv said:
AliasALIAS said:
SiriCerasi said:
so... merge all of the random forums? how about just have one "talking thread" and then all of the others be specific, such as cats or colleges?
You mean random threads? That was an idea. To merge all random threads into one random thread, or as you put it, the talking thread. Other specific topics would be allowed, as long as they stayed on topic.
yeah but that will never happen. People almost never stay on topic, and you can't force them too. Eventually somebody would go offtopic.
I'm also not sure about how that would work. We've warned people before to get on topic and they never do. If we did this, I have a feeling that we would eventually create another Random Forum or close all the cliques (even though they really wouldn't be cliques anymore) because people strayed off topic.

aliasjgfanaticmv said:
AliasALIAS said:
SiriCerasi said:
Actually, I think thats a good idea, merging all the topics as one 'talk topic' and have other seperate ones like cliques, we'd manage to stay on topic, the french one, and the cat lovers on does pretty well, dr pie, see that would be more of a "talk topic' I think thats a good idea

-rox

Tommy said:
aliasjgfanaticmv said:
AliasALIAS said:
SiriCerasi said:
I'm also not sure about how that would work. We've warned people before to get on topic and they never do. If we did this, I have a feeling that we would eventually create another Random Forum or close all the cliques (even though they really wouldn't be cliques anymore) because people strayed off topic.
hmm actually the mor i think about it... if you have ONE talk forum, and then specific ones, i think ppl WILL stay on topic, simply because there is one place to talk randomly. right now it is confusing, i never know where to talk because there are so many places

UndercoverMichaelLover said:
aliasjgfanaticmv said:
AliasALIAS said:
SiriCerasi said:
Actually, I think thats a good idea, merging all the topics as one 'talk topic' and have other seperate ones like cliques, we'd manage to stay on topic, the french one, and the cat lovers on does pretty well, dr pie, see that would be more of a "talk topic' I think thats a good idea

-rox
I wasn't trying to say I didn't think it wasn't a good idea. I'm pretty much neutral. I was just saying that no one seems to stay on topic in any of the threads, except for a few.

Tommy said:
aliasjgfanaticmv said:
AliasALIAS said:
SiriCerasi said:
also once you make the decision to make this change there will be no turning back.

alias_fan said:
Tommy said:
aliasjgfanaticmv said:
AliasALIAS said:
SiriCerasi said:
also once you make the decision to make this change there will be no turning back.
:blink: why not? they've changed it once before,,,

AliasHombre said:
Would the talk randomly one count in post things or not? I am really confused!!!
As of now, it looks like it will count since it will be in the Member Lounge. But the problem with that is people may concentrate on that thread alone, easily increasing post count.

Staying on topic is the responsibility of the individual.

AliasALIAS said:
AliasHombre said:
Would the talk randomly one count in post things or not?  I am really confused!!!
As of now, it looks like it will count since it will be in the Member Lounge. But the problem with that is people may concentrate on that thread alone, easily increasing post count.

Staying on topic is the responsibility of the individual.
i dont think thats true... i think ppl will also post in the other forums, because they will want to talk about specific things as well.

The post count of a talk thread would obviously skyrocket because if all the other threads were strictly on topic, there would be less to talk about in those. So anything anyone wants to talk about would go in the talk thread.

AliasHombre said:
The post count of a talk thread would obviously skyrocket because if all the other threads were strictly on topic, there would be less to talk about in those. So anything anyone wants to talk about would go in the talk thread.
but i also talk quite a bit about on topic things in specific threads... dunno if anyone else does, but i do

AliasHombre said:
forgive me if you've already thought of this, I'm slow, but what if the other topics that were to remain on-topic were allowed to have the posts count, but not the talk thread, since that one, like Poncho said, would just skyrocket and people would be posting randomly?

yeah, what poncho said. thats basically what happens now. if they want to keep the # of topics down, i think one forum is good. then ppl will stay on topic in other places.

aliasjgfanaticmv said:
AliasHombre said:
Then people will get off topic elsewhere in order to get more posts.
But then they would be reprimanded by admins for getting off topic.
but it would still happen, the admins cant (and i doubt they want to) always be monitering the many threads.

aliasjgfanaticmv said:
AliasHombre said:
The post count of a talk thread would obviously skyrocket because if all the other threads were strictly on topic, there would be less to talk about in those.  So anything anyone wants to talk about would go in the talk thread.
forgive me if you've already thought of this, I'm slow, but what if the other topics that were to remain on-topic were allowed to have the posts count, but not the talk thread, since that one, like Poncho said, would just skyrocket and people would be posting randomly?
That's the same thing as having the Random forum, except the Random forum has more than one thread. People have said earlier that it's hard to switch back from the Member Lounge to the Random forum. That's one of the reasons why we're trying to eliminate the Random forum.

Back