I'll be first...What server type will you play on?

Meh, i tried pvp on WoW and enjoyed it for a while till i got to stranglethorn!!!
Ganked every corner by ton's of 60's or someone my level with his/her possy.
Very frustrating only PVP i enjoyed was Ultima Online loved the Bounty system.
If PvP is done right i might try it.

I want RP-PVP.

I want to KILL PEOPLE!! Oh sure it can be annoying getting "ganked" but hey, thats apart of the decision of PvP, and I choose it. And besides, if you live by the rule of cereal boxes, "Life is full of Surprises" ....Write that down.

Originally posted by JonDDA@May 19 2006, 03:27 AM
Oh sure it can be annoying getting "ganked" but hey, thats apart of the decision of PvP, and I choose it.
I would respectfully disagree here.

PvP does not necessarily mean living in the Thunderdome.

I have full confidence that Simultronics can put together a meaningful PvP system, integrated into the game world. I want to see characters being jailed/fined on murder charges, I want to see intricate faction combat: not like the paethetic games of capture the flag and musical chairs and such that Horde and Alliance play in World of "War"craft, but actual sieges and territorial conquest.

Death should actually mean something. I would love to see an assassin guild like the one in Achaea, where one can actually join an organisation that kills people within the law of the land: the assassin takes on a contract, and from the moment he starts the job until the death of the assassin or the victim he is treated merely as a tool of the person who hired him. The assassin will not get arrested for completing the contract, but neither is he allowed to retaliate if he is slain by the victim in the process of carrying out the task.

So yeah. I want to play on a server where PvP comes within the purvey of the in-game justice system, but where people who threaten or repeatedly annoy you realise that members of the Arcanum are not to be trifled with, on pain of death. (I guess that means I want a slice of that sweet RP action as well)

I remember one of my characters in WoW was on a PVP server. Someone on our server's message board described the town of Redridge as the "Wild West" which was exactly what it was like. Violent, lawless and always action packed. I'm looking for some of that kind of fun. It'll be RP PVP for me!

Seeing how this is a game more devoted to RP than other games I'm going to guess that there will be no "roleplay" server because the usual rules on a RP server will apply to all servers.

I'll be where ever the majority of roleplay guilds are at as long as it has PvE raiding and PvP/rvr type combat.

Hopefully, PVP won't depend on the type of class you have or the abilities you have, but the skill of the player. According to the new article on the front page, Hero's Journey combat will feature ruly strategic gameplay that requires thinking and skill.

I hate making WoW comparisons, it shows how brainwashed we are.

BUT

In WoW, there was a "PvP Spec" Which is not good IMHO.

You should be able to HEAL your opponent to death or something, not just rot his flesh and curse him.

You should be good at damaging no matter what. But still, some should be better than others.

Well if Simu goes with how they do PvP in Gemstone IV it will be something like the following:

Griefing is outright baned. If you kill someone without "cause" you likely will be sucked into the Consultation Lounge and have a nice chat about your actions. After 2 or 3 visits you would likely be baned from the game.

That said, there is open CvC (character vs character) if it is mutually agreeable. If someone steals from you, that is open invitation to bounce on them. In Gemstone they recently make a challenge verb (an OOC way of setting up a IC battle).

The general rule is if someone wrongs you, you may take actions against them for a 24 hour period. They don't encourage hold over grudges. Also, you must take care of the problem, no getting friends or other PC's of yours to frak them. However, if two large groups of people want to roleplay a conflict that is fine. If someone tells you they want out of the CvC you must allow it (unless of course they initiated something recently: attacked you, stole, etc.)

There are laws in the towns, if you cause harm to someone in town, even if they are a thief you have broken the law and can become wanted. Once the NPC police get you, you will be locked up in jail for a short time (a couple minutes) with all your possessions taken. Next, a NPC judge will convict you (their is no not guilty! LOL) and sentence you to either a fine or at your choice locked up in the stocks in Town Square for ridicule (folks can toss fruit at you and such). As a side note, if you fail to pay your fine in the alloted time, all your possessions are forfeit.

Overall I think the CvC works well in gemstone.

Chris

Back