Season 5 Important News regarding Michael Vartan/Vaughn

Rx2web said:
This is twice that this thing has gobbled my post. So I'll get it out here as fast as I can.

I don't see what all the fuss is about Vartan leaving the show.  How his last day on the set was last friday and now he's done with the show.  How his character has died.  Suddenly people are up in arms about the show ready to boycott it and "let their voices be heard".  Please.  The show has thus far been about the Bristows. Not just Syd, but Jack and Irina as well. It was their family that the entire show revolved. around.

For 4 years we have been fed in slow steady doses bits and pieces of their past. We've seen Syd grow from drone of SD-6 to an quite capable CIA Agent. They have worked through the questions and myth of the Rambaldi prophecy which centered around the bristow/derevko family.  The story line as we've known it has to come to an end. At some point they have move on to something else.

From a story stand point I think that killing Vaughn off is excellent. It's exactly what this show needs. In fact I might go as far as to say that they really need to fade out Syd as well. (ducks from the tomatoes and calls of blasphemer) The show always worked best when there was real tension in Syds life. With Rambaldi done with, with an engagement to Vaughn and her family situation mostly settled.... where was her tension going to come from? Bam. Danny is dead and her world is rocked and it forces her to see things in a new light. Bam. Irina is alive, this forces her to re-think her family dynamic Bam. She loses 2 years and her boyfriend is married. She has to deal with working with them daily. Bam. She has a Sister and her mothers dead. Season 5, Bam....Vaughn is believed to be a double agent and is killed before she can marry him AND have his child. talk about messing a person up mentally. Dealing with the loss of trust, grief of death, and the birth of a baby Holy felgercarb!

Personally I would like to see Syd take over as head of APO.  She might not have the strategic mind of Sloane or Jack, but she's got the drive and the impulsiveness to push the group to the edge. Keep Jack and Sloane on as advisors. Flipping the scales would certainly bring about a whole new dynamic to the group. They are bringing in new characters. New agents and hopefully new villans. Who better to train them and guide them as the new head of APO then the best agent the CIA has ever seen and not acknowledged in Syd?

This gives room for the story line to progress beyond Rambaldi, beyond the Bristows. I'm excited about this season. More then ever there is a wide open canvas to write the stories and create a tale that isn't hampered by what went before it. Tie up your lose ends and move on. Clean house and build a new one. Nothing is worse then a show that gets stale. I'm sorry but Syd and vaughn married with a kid screams stale and dying. So from a purely story standpoint, I'm glad that he's supposedly gone.

Now don't get me wrong. I thought that Michael Vartan was a great actor for what he did. He did tend to have a single face that he wore a lot. I much prefered Jack and Sloane who you hated one minute and loved the next...those were some characters.  I never really felt the chemestry between Syd and Vaughn. I always believed that there was more fireworks between Will and Syd.

Bottom line? Characters come and go. Some really stand out with their performances such as Sark. Others fall flat like Vivica Fox. Lets get some new blood in here and see Alias surge back with decent ratings and seasons 6, 7 and 8 on the way!
[post="1467142"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I could be wrong but this seems like a PR person from TPTB trying to stem the rising anger. What they haven't realized yet is they will lose lots of viewers without MV, myself included . Hell hath no fury like ticked off fans. :cuss: :missing:

SouthernGal said:
I agree with what you said Lillianna; that post certainly was meant to sway viewers.  I'm not interested.  No Vartan = no viewer!
[post="1468106"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

AMEN SG and Lillianna! Alias is not Alias without Michael Vartan. The interest I had when I saw the S4 cliffhanger quickly evaporated when I began hearing rumors of MV's character being killed off. :angry:

I'm with all of you. If he's not there, I'm not there... I think ABC should just out with it already. I don't care about the plot. I want to know if he is in or out. Everything depends on that. I won't watch without him and I won't be strung along.

I love(d) Alias, but I just won't stand by and let network executives that don't even understand anything about this show that we all know and love make decisions that will eventually ruin it. I just won't watch it self destruct. I'd rather remember the good times. :(

When I first heard, I was in denial.
But I'm crossing my fingers that it's all LIES

I know the likelyhood of that being practically impossible but hey, a girl can wish right?

look mvcampain made it to imdb lol
i just found out today after reading it on imdb.com

here's the full article:
Fans of hit TV series Alias have launched a campaign to save Michael Vartan's character, even though producers have failed to confirm they're killing him off. Vartan, who plays his former girlfriend Jennifer Garner's on-screen lover Michael Vaughn on the show, reportedly shot his final scenes last week, according to the New York Post. Insiders claim Vaughn will be killed off in the upcoming series, which will also see pregnant Garner coping with impending motherhood both in real life and on the crime drama. The news has prompted some fans to launch www.mvcampaign.com, which has been set up to stop any potential Vartan departure. In a posting on the fansite, one devotee states, "Many of us feel that if this were to occur, it would be showing the show, the viewers, and Mr. Vartan a huge lack of both respect and loyalty. We have decided to take action and do something to express our feelings."

Kelly V said:
^
No kidding. Whos the brains behind THAT genius idea!

"durrr...we could.... make Vaughn not vaughn and give him this really interesting stroyline and then!!!..........Duuuuurrrr. Cant think of anything. Lets just kill him off??"

*claps sarcastically*
[post="1467492"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
here here

has anyone ever thought that this could be the point? that for the storyline they're 'killing' vaughn. that's why abc has refused to comment, because if they do say 'yes he's gone' then we all know somethings up, and if they say, 'no he's here to stay' they've given the story of the funeral away. we know there was a funeral right... so if they say he's still gonna be in it... then we'll all be like "he gets buried, but is still in the show? what?"

On a sort-of related note, ever since the news of MV's departure came out, I haven't watched any of the Alias DVD's. (Of course, I may be spending that time on Alias message boards, but that's another issue!). Often, if I am home, and there is nothing new or interesting on TV, I will watch some of my favorite episodes. The idea of Vaughn leaving made that really depressing because it just seemed like killing the character, more than even the departure of MV. Last night, I watched the two episodes after the pilot, and watched the beginning interactions of Vaughn and Sydney, and it reminded me why I loved the show, and that, to me, their relationship was one of the grounded things in their crazy world. There was something that was sweet about them, which is what is going to be lost without him.

Lillianna said:
I could be wrong but this seems like a PR person from TPTB trying to stem the rising anger. What they haven't realized yet is  they will lose lots of viewers without MV, myself included . Hell hath no fury like ticked off fans.  :cuss:  :missing:
[post="1468022"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Actuallyl I'm a regular fan just like everyone else. I only just found this forum and have posted a bit more on addictetdoalias.net. What I don't get/understand is the rampant all or nothing attitude of fans. It's that if we dont' get X then we are going to boycott...blah blah blah. That makes me sick as a fan. I want the show to run for as long as possible. I want my DVD collection to have more ALIAS discs then anything else I own.

Thank you for saying that I sounded like a PR person. It means that I was articulate enough to get my thoughts and feelings across. I won't say that Vartan's departure wont create a hole in the show. it will definitly feel different for a while. the new people that they are bringing in will hopefully fill that hole and more. But it's a gamble it's a chance that they need to take to ensure that the show continues on.

I've read alot of articles, forum posts, and gossip about various characters departing. Grunberg is leaving, it was rumored that Jen is gone after this season, now Vartan leaving as well.... My thought on that is that I am a simple fan, I don't hang around on the set of ALIAS (which if I could it would be cool), I don't know what is REALLY happening. I don't know why things are happening. All I can do, just as you, is to guess and speculate. I can only try and put all the puzzle pieces together and try and reason out what is going on.

We all love the show otherwise we wouldn't take the time and effort to post in these forums. I know I've been obsessed with ALIAS this summer. Making Cell phone and computer wallpapers, reading everything I can get on ALIAS, planning my annual ALIAS kick off party for our friends. I am not a fan of any one particular character. If any one character left it wouldn't sway me as a viewer.

Sloane - That genious that sits on the fence between good and evil. No one is better at being so sinister with his looks and actions. I have no doubt that at any moment he could be sinister and ruthless. I love that. That's why he's a favorite.

Jack - Another old school spy, he comes from a time and age when rules were there to be broken. he's bent and twisted how things should be done left and right. You love him one moment then hate him the next for what he's done to Sydney and everyone else....And yet he's endering for his dedication to his daughter.

Marshall - A bit character that's taken on a life of his own. Syd's Q. His quirky nature and innosence just cannot be quenched. Even when he's been faced with torture and death he still manages to be the Marshall we all know and love.

Vaughn - He doesn't come across as strong as a Jack or Sloane, what he comes across as is a young agent who's learning who he is. Just as Sydney has been learning about her own family, Vaughn is learning about himself and figuring his place in things. You can see the struggle with him at times with the fence sitting. He was originally a goody good guy, but over the last 4 seasons he's been more and more likely to break the rules.

Syd - You look at her character at the start of season one and who she is at the end of season four and it's two very different people. She's a super spy in both of them. They once commented in an episode that she had a gift for dealing with a situation. But as a person she was lost in season one. She has since found herself. She's more a leader now then she was before. She strong and confident in who she is and her opinions. In season one she was rebellious. Now, she's controlled.

Sark - If there was ever a villan who came close to Sloane this is him. The man with no morals, who can kill his own father because he got in the way of his ambitions. But a man who, because he has no morals has no loyalties either. If a better deal comes along he would not hesitate to stab his current companions in the back.

Dixon had his role in the show as Syds partner, Nadia her role in fullfilling the prophecy, Francie had her role as friend and villan.... Everyone had a piece to play in my enjoyment of the show and to see any leave would be sad but no one is so integral to the show that I would stop watching it because they left. I love it. The show, it's actors, the theme. it's fun and engaging. I would love for Will Tippen to come back, my favorite all time scenes were his in France when he was captured and Syd and Jack save him. He's all "AAAAhhhhh!" and "What kinda family are you!" Priceless.

I am looking forward to the new actor(esses) to see what they can bring to the table. Departing actors(esses) will be missed to be sure, but that just opens the door for more enjoyment from a different angle.

If you haven't noticed I don't particularly like short posts/responses. I like to express my thoughts fully. Hope you all don't mind. It's good to hear both sides of peoples feelings. Those that are really upset and those that aren't. If you had too much of one it comes across as b****ing and moaning. If you get too much of the other it sounds like homerism.

Here's to another 5 seasons of Alias to round it out at 10!

I don't think that the fans are all or nothing in their love of Alias. I think the writers/ creative team left us a pretty enticing bread crumb at the end of last season. They all got together, planned out season 5, made announcements about it, and they've since ditched their original plan. That is what is commonly thought among supporters of the campaign. Was the idea of writing off or killing Vaughn an organic plan from the creative minds behind Alias? Most of us are thinking the answer to that is a big fat 'NO!' and that someone else (perhaps ABC network executives) wanted to shake things up and called for a good old fashioned character assasination. If those ABC monkeys want to run an intelligent and creative jem like Alias and turn it into some dumbed down ratings monger then I'm out. Not to mention the fact that I whole heartedly disagree with letting Mr. Vartan go and I would like to see the resolution to the story. We've waited 4 years. It is not time to ditch the original plan so that Alias next generation can get a head start. There will be time for that in Season 6 if there is one.

I love(d) Alias, but I just won't stand by and let network executives that don't even understand anything about this show that we all know and love make decisions that will eventually ruin it.

Actually Steve McPherson, the PRESIDENT of ABC, helped develop the show over at Touchstone. So the network executives know what Alias is. They understand Alias. They understand who the fans are and how loyal they are. They also understand that Alias is part of a business.

And having a character, even a somewhat major character, leave doesn't ruin the show. It changes it, yes, but it hardly RUINS the show. And changes happen. Especially if they are trying to renew interest of the show. Make it fresh I guess. And with all the changes in Season 5 its bound to be.

What amazes me about this whole situation is that no matter what Alias does, some fans will never be happy. One character leaves, his/her fans aren't happy. Another character stays or comes in and some Alias fans aren't happy. Some fans liked the focus on Syd's relationship with Vaughn and some thought it was horrible.

Our critiques, criticisms, and anger towards such things are not overall bad, but they shouldn't be looked upon as TPTB should change what they are doing. Having this story play out, and yes having a character written off the show, by death or otherwise, doesn't mean Alias is horrible now. And it doesn't mean Season 5 will be bad. And I would rather see what TPTB have in store for us then have them change things again to make some fans happy.

I love Vartan, and I love Vaughn. I've been an avid supporter of both and will continue to be when he does other ventures. But I'm still gonna be a fan of Alias. Because Alias is an ensemble show. It wasn't specifically about Vaughn. It wasn't focused on his world. It wasn't purely focused on his family. And as much as the presence of him is nice,:naughty:, his STORY will live on. If others choose to leave when that story is beginning to unfold so be it. Its their choice.

They all got together, planned out season 5, made announcements about it, and they've since ditched their original plan.
They made one announcement about things, but that was subject to change. And in some ways it had to. (the pregnancy). It just seems to me from Chad Darnell to Jeff Pinkner to Breen Frazier, that they all seem to have a clear idea going into this year. And it doesn't seem all that bad. So whatever happens, happens. I'm just going to enjoy this season as best I can.

rjalias said:
Actually Steve McPherson, the PRESIDENT of ABC, helped develop the show over at Touchstone. So the network executives know what Alias is. They understand Alias. They understand who the fans are and how loyal they are. They also understand that Alias is part of a business.

My point is/was that I read an interview with JJ back in the (late) Spring and he seemed really excited about the 5th season and he said several things, including that they had the entire S5 planned out, including the end, conclusion and all - just in case this season is the last. He didn't say a whole lot, but he was positive, confirmed that certain people would be back, etc. Specifically he seemed excited about the Vaughn storyline. I was genuinely excited about the whole thing. It sounded as if there was a plan.

Mcpherson aside - I didn't name names... Because I do feel that the network powers that be are often responsible for changes that end up not making sense. I stand by my position that if the creative minds are to be thwarted by a bunch of guys in suits crunching numbers then I'm not staying to watch.

But then again I work in the performing arts and I have a very strong sense of finishing what is/was started with the original creative idea in tact. If the executive director (where I work) wants to tell the artistic director how to do his job, then at the end the product is very different. Yes, the proverbial puppet is still dancing, but who is pulling the strings? So perhaps some of the network exec's do know Alias, but many of them probably do not. If ABC is going to renew the show, then they should let the creative team do their jobs and stop trying to run things from behind the scenes. ;)

I understand your view I do.

However, when in comes down to it, JJ said that Vaughn would be back, and Vaughn is back. JJ didn't say he would be around the whole season, he just said he would be back. And what if this just comes down to what JJ intended? I'm not saying that I know this is JJ's story but what if it is? What if the network executives weren't all that involved other than moneywise?

And the story still has potential. Vaughn's story will be told. It might not be by the viewpoint that we would all like it to be, aka Vaughn's, but it will still be told. I mean that seems to be the running theme this year, to find out who Vaughn is. Its the underlying mystery.

I dunno, I'll just see how it goes.

yesterday, i bought this tv guide magazine and there was a picture from the new season of Alias & Vaughn & syd were hold hands. it seems that michael Vaughn will be in somes episodes. & if he dies that will sux!

ABC still doesn't get it. They will lose lots of viewers because of this. I know many people who don't post on message boards and aren't into "spoilers" and when I have told them of the rumor, their reactions are always negative and almost all have said they wouldn't watch Alias if this happens. If the idea is to keep Alias on the air for more seasons, this is not the way to do it.

:smiley:
Natalia said:
Exactly. I'm sorry, but a post on a fan forum isn't any sort of confirmation in my eyes. There's still been no announcement.
[post="1466036"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
:smiley: Thank you! A sane voice in all this. Nothing has been confirmed!!! It's a spy DRAMA! Look at all the hype for "Passion of the Christ" and how that drew in the masses to see it. We all love drama or we wouldn't watch. By the way, am I the only one who really enjoyed S3 And 4? It could all very well be fans for the flames ( ignor the pun) to bring in viewers for the new season. Would the show seriously be that stupid to ruin itself by killing off Vartan?!! Could Lucy have lived without Ricky? Let's see...maybe the funeral scene is a fake one, so that Vaughn's other evil guys will believe he's dead...maybe Vaughn is a decendant of Rambaldi and Jack Bristow sets up a fake funeral so that Michael/Mr. Michaux can go search for more artifacts. Maybe I am naive. I believe in this show and the writers. I've invested 4 years, lots of dollars, and recruited many of my friends into the Alias fold of watchers. It makes no sense to kill this character off. There isn't one thing that would make it work, and I don't believe they'll do it.

Uhhh ya... if you guys want to see MV's say on this matter (not that he confirms or denies the rumour) You can watch him on ET or Extra tonight (ET has the longer clip if you have a time conflict, ;) ) and... ya. :mellow:
--Mandy :angelic:

Back