Politics Is there such a thing as Human Rights?

Is there such a thing as Human Rights?

• Yes, of course!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I think so.

• Maybe.

• Uh...no?

• Definitely not.

• Who cares?

• Total voters
So...there was a discussion today at m school and we were debating whether there really is such a thing as human rights. What do you guys think about this?

"all people are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights-
that among these are life liberty and the pursuit of happiness..."
yes, i subscribe to this proposition

I'm taking cultural anthropology right now and we were talking about cultural relatavism, which is the idea that you have to respect all cultures and try to understand that they have different norms and values. But if I was in a country that condoned wife-beating or stoning adulterers, I would not let that slide just to show respect to their culture. IMO, there are some things that are just NOT okay

ms.katejones said:
I'm taking cultural anthropology right now and we were talking about cultural relatavism, which is the idea that you have to respect all cultures and try to understand that they have different norms and values. But if I was in a country that condoned wife-beating or stoning adulterers, I would not let that slide just to show respect to their culture. IMO, there are some things that are just NOT okay
[post="1195162"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
i agree. i'm all for respecting other views an cultures, but not to the extent that i condone things like honor killings, female genital mutilation, or the subjugation of any group. of course there are human rights.

See, but I'm pretty sure you WOULDN'T be saying that right now if you were raised in that culture since birth

You learn what you live ;)

UncoveringAlias said:
See, but I'm pretty sure you WOULDN'T be saying that right now if you were raised in that culture since birth

[post="1195571"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
i'm pretty sure that as a woman i wouldn't be ok with someone killing me if i were raped or cutting my clitoris no matter where i lived.

UncoveringAlias said:

[post="1195571"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
My only problem with this logic is that it can be used to defend ANY behavior, from keeping women locked up in the home to genocide. Cultures CAN change. If they didn't we'd still be living with slavery and no women in positions of power here in th U.S.

Yes. Everyone has unalienable rights that cannot be taken away or suppressed by any person, organization, government, or entity. By not declaring and respecting rights, we would be allowing sovereign nations to condone or even commit acts of genocide, and/or slavery, among others.

The problem becomes defining what rights are unalienable, since people from different backgrounds bring vastly different ideas and ideals to the table; and it would be elitist and inappropriate to apply all of my our or my moral standards on others without thought or consideration of their culture; yet it would be even more wrong to allow genocide to occur out of fear of being called “elitist” or disliked for trying to stop it. It is the moral duty of all to try to instill human rights into (but preferably not onto) other cultures. Cultural diversity and acceptance is generally a good thing, yet it is not worthwhile insofar as it prevents justice and/or progress. We should respect differences, yet we could also all learn from each other.

if there are such things as human rights, then what justifies what exactly a human right is?

people can say they have the right to kill. or they have the right to harm others. while others will argue that they have the right to not be killed and not be harmed. of course, in today's society, killing and harming others is wrong. that is our belief. but what if we meet some alien race from another planet (yes far fetched, but suppose) and to them, killing is perfectly fine? they would say killing is their right? they could say pain is good? (note there is a word for something called pleasure from pain, referred to as masochism or sadism).

rights are what we define as rights. the government also helps in the enforcing and deciding of rights, do they not?

is it possible that we don't have rights? that they are just an illusion?

I didn't start this thread with the intention to relate it on what's going on in the middle east...and I really don't want it branching off in that direction. There's enough threads about that.

We can easily relate this to the US or UN and so forth. In the US Declaration of Independence, it states that men are endowed with unalienable rights. But who was the term "men" referencing too? At the time, it would seem that only white males with property would qualify. Of course, that term has obtained a new meaning in today's society, right? But even then, those convicted of a felony lose certain rights even after they've served their time.

what do rights mean to you? do we really have rights?

Ok, I'm the only one who said "I think so." There is such thing, people have rights, but there's a point where people don't have any. If someone in power REALLY didn't want a person enforcing their right, they could do it. There's like all these ways to cirumvent the text. Or they could... you know kill them.

But now, many people fought for their rights, when the US, it's laws were modified many times, for example things like women voting. Also, even though the goverment does decide our rights, it's the people that choose the goverment. (Unless it's rigged or something!)

And rights to kill could be a human right in ways such as... self defense, umm intense crime/violence related scenarios? :D Hmm but for war... I don't know. :hmm:

You learn what you live

Exactly and while many people won't agreee with female genital mutilation or wife beating or honour killings other cultural traditons such as arranged marriage are different. If you are brought up to expect an arranged marriage, it will seem normal whether or not we agree.

The problem with human rights is, how do you decide who's rights to sacrifice. I take a utilitarian view on this, the greatest happiness for the greatness number as per Benthem.

E.g. Miners in Britian during the 80s were retricted in their right to protest to stop flying pickets. (pickets which moved and blockaded connected industry.) to protect the rights of the rest of the country (and to prevent anarchy.)

noggi16 said:
The problem with human rights is, how do you decide who's rights to sacrifice. I take a utilitarian view on this, the greatest happiness for the greatness number as per Benthem.

E.g. Miners in Britian during the 80s were retricted in their right to protest to stop flying pickets. (pickets which moved and blockaded connected industry.) to protect the rights of the rest of the country (and to prevent anarchy.)
[post="1196795"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

The Iron lady (Maggie Thatcher), restricted the rights of the miners to protest because she was running a perfectly viable and profitable industry into the ground so that her govermant could buy cheaper coal elsewhere. And on the issue of forced marriages and female genitle mutilation, i do not think any woman wants to through that, and plus you can not justify it whatever way you lookn at it. Even if you are brought up in a culture which practices it, i'm pretty dam sure its not very nice for the woman to go through and why the hell should she. Look at it this way to mutilate someone in such a way is a form of torture. Human rights is not necessrily about respecting a culture but upholding a persons right to be respected as a individual and be free from persection, torture and physical/mental abuse. A freind of mine who is originally from Libiya , she was muslim, but while studying in the UK , she decided to reject her muslim faith and started to practice Nichiren Daishonin Buddhism. Nearly all of her family have disowned her, she can not go back to Libiya as she will most probably be murdered , and that is no exaduration. Human rights is also about a person right to choose his/her path in life without threat of violence ect.

xdancer said:
i'm pretty sure that as a woman i wouldn't be ok with someone killing me if i were raped or cutting my clitoris no matter where i lived.
[post="1195625"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I didn't mean it like that. I merely meant that although you might not be ok with it, it's not like you would rebel and fix everything.

And also, I know that cultures change, but it takes TIME also.

yes, there are such a thing as human rights. if there weren't, wouldn't there be pandamonium? (that's spelled wrong, i know)

and someone before said that if you grow up to expect an arranged marriage, you don't do anything to get out of that. umm, no. my friend's cousin is going throught that right now, and she is looking for a way out of it. not everybody just accepts that. just so you know . . .

:eek:fftopic:
The Iron lady (Maggie Thatcher), restricted the rights of the miners to protest because she was running a perfectly viable and profitable industry into the ground so that her govermant could buy cheaper coal elsewhere

it was not profitable.

And where was I condoning FGM? but I said
arranged marriage
which is not the same thing as forced marriage. Arranged marriage is a cultural tradition where a girl agrees to her parents finding a partner. In no way is that the same as forced marriage.

Back