Politics Is there such a thing as Human Rights?

Is there such a thing as Human Rights?

• Yes, of course!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I think so.

• Maybe.

• Uh...no?

• Definitely not.

• Who cares?

• Total voters
noggi16 said:
but I said
arranged marriage
which is not the same thing as forced marriage. Arranged marriage is a cultural tradition where a girl agrees to her parents finding a partner. In no way is that the same as forced marriage.
[post="1198644"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

well her parents arranged it and they're not letting her out of it, but she definatly does not agree with it. "arranged" is just the nice way of saying it, i guess

well her parents arranged it and they're not letting her out of it, but she definatly does not agree with it. "arranged" is just the nice way of saying it, i guess

No thats not what an arranged marriage is. It is not as cut and dry as it seems. I know three people that have had them and they are all perfectly happy.

An arranged marriage is only done with the consent of the girl and boy. The point is they both agree to it being arrange. In many cases, it would have happened anyway because the families are often friends or accquantiances.

and how do you know she does not agree. Most people are not brought up in a culture like that so we don't know so don't presume evey arranged marriage is like we see on the TV

An arranged marriage is only done with the consent of the girl and boy. The point is they both agree to it being arrange. In many cases, it would have happened anyway because the families are often friends or accquantiances.

Well, it wasnt always like that...

An aranged marriage mostly *NOT always* use to be the 'head' of the household, usually the man or father, would choose who he married his duaghter off to. And most of the time it didnt matter what she wanted...And it was around the same basics for a male... Your father tells you to do something and you do it...

They didnt call that a forced marriage, they called it an aranged one...

()aliasyeah() said:
yes, there are such a thing as human rights.  if there weren't, wouldn't there be pandamonium? (that's spelled wrong, i know) 

and someone before said that if you grow up to expect an arranged marriage, you don't do anything to get out of that.  umm, no.  my friend's cousin is going throught that right now, and she is looking for a way out of it.  not everybody just accepts that.  just so you know . . .
[post="1197494"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

yes, but we live in an age/society where we know that arranged marriage isn't exactly "normal" and it doesn't occur terribly often. If EVERYONE, or everyone they knew, had an arranged marriage, it probably wouldn't be such of a big deal. At least she wouldn't fight it....But since she probably doesn't know too many other people who were 'arranged' she sees it as something abnormal. If that makes sense. Because she hasn't been exposed to it for her whole entire life, with everyone around exposed to it also, it may not be such a problem...

ms.katejones said:
I'm taking cultural anthropology right now and we were talking about cultural relatavism, which is the idea that you have to respect all cultures and try to understand that they have different norms and values. But if I was in a country that condoned wife-beating or stoning adulterers, I would not let that slide just to show respect to their culture. IMO, there are some things that are just NOT okay
[post="1195162"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
I agree.
Read the top of my signature. I did a lot of cultural anthropology kind of things at school and university, but when things like bride burning and widow abuse take place, it simply isn't right to let it happen out of 'respect' for a culture. The people who support ccontinuing all cultural 'traditions' need to think about how it affects the individuals.

A lot of cultures do things differently to us because they still do not recognise women as equals, or recognise that all people should be equal (like the oppressive caste system, which strives to keep the poor in poverty, and keep the rich rich).

No thats not what an arranged marriage is. It is not as cut and dry as it seems. I know three people that have had them and they are all perfectly happy.

It isn't always like that. My parents live in India, and I spend a lot of time there. I have seen suicides and murders take place because of arranged marriages. I have also seen a lot of rape and other physical abuse covered up - the wife had no idea what she was in for because she didn't know the man she was marrying.
In societies where arranged marriages are the norm, the children accept it because they are raised to believe their parents know everything, and that they should never question their parents' decisions. Of course not all arranged marriages turn out to be unhappy, but then again a lot do. And a lot of those probelms aren't talked about because it isn't the 'right' thing to do.

I also know (as in they are my friends or my parents' friends) a lot of Indians who have had arranged marriages who now think nothing of having affairs with other people.

My best friend growing up was Indian, but she was born and raised in Australia. Her parents arranged an engagement for her when she was three years old. They told her she HAD to move to India and get married as soon as she grew up. Did she want to? Absolutely not. But because she had been raised not to disobey her parents she was seriously considering doing it anyway.

noggi16 said:

and how do you know she does not agree. Most people are not brought up in a culture like that so we don't know so don't presume evey arranged marriage is like we see on the TV
[post="1203089"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

i wasn't presuming anything, i was just telling you this one instance. I know everything is not like that, and there are some very good turnouts. BUT not always.

Natalia said:
I agree.
Read the top of my signature. I did a lot of cultural anthropology kind of things at school and university, but when things like bride burning and widow abuse take place, it simply isn't right to let it happen out of 'respect' for a culture. The people who support ccontinuing all cultural 'traditions' need to think about how it affects the individuals.

A lot of cultures do things differently to us because they still do not recognise women as equals, or recognise that all people should be equal (like the oppressive caste system, which strives to keep the poor in poverty, and keep the rich rich).
It isn't always like that. My parents live in India, and I spend a lot of time there. I have seen suicides and murders take place because of arranged marriages. I have also seen a lot of rape and other physical abuse covered up - the wife had no idea what she was in for because she didn't know the man she was marrying.
In societies where arranged marriages are the norm, the children accept it because they are raised to believe their parents know everything, and that they should never question their parents' decisions. Of course not all arranged marriages turn out to be unhappy, but then again a lot do. And a lot of those probelms aren't talked about because it isn't the 'right' thing to do.

I also know (as in they are my friends or my parents' friends) a lot of Indians who have had arranged marriages who now think nothing of having affairs with other people.

My best friend growing up was Indian, but she was born and raised in Australia. Her parents arranged an engagement for her when she was three years old. They told her she HAD to move to India and get married as soon as she grew up. Did she want to? Absolutely not. But because she had been raised not to disobey her parents she was seriously considering doing it anyway.
[post="1211866"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

wow, i'm sorry you had to see all of that. The person i'm talking about is Indian too, and it just makes me worry more after reading what you wrote :( b/c the families barely know eachother...... etc etc etc

EDITED TO ADD: Sorry I posted this here--i didn't see that there has been an arranged marriage thread.

Natalia said:
I did a lot of cultural anthropology kind of things at school and university, but when things like bride burning and widow abuse take place, it simply isn't right to let it happen out of 'respect' for a culture. The people who support ccontinuing all cultural 'traditions' need to think about how it affects the individuals.
[post="1211866"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

The problem with this is that we may not want it to happen, but it DOES, out of respect for the culture. It's not like all this is new. It's all been done before. Now, though, it's just that we are such a human rights - active civilization, we would like them to stop happening. But just wanting it doesn't change anything.

Back