Season 5 Lazarey's "Murder"

Well, Sydney told herself to trust Lazarey, and 4 months ago Lazarey let his hand be cut off, which clears Syd's name. That seems to me that Sydney was in on the death faking. Lazarey thinks that the Covenant is evil, so maybe he isn't a bad person. We don't really know too much about him other than he was a Russian diplomat, so he doesn't have to be bad, Syd could have helped him fake his death to protect him from the Covenant.

I was talking about this last night with a friend of mine and we came up with a really off-the-wall theory. What if Lazarey is Rambaldi??? What if he has to fake his death so nobody realizes that he has been alive for hundreds of years. I know that's kinda out there, but you never know with Alias.

IloveMrSark said:
Well, Sydney told herself to trust Lazarey, and 4 months ago Lazarey let his hand be cut off, which clears Syd's name.  That seems to me that Sydney was in on the death faking.  Lazarey thinks that the Covenant is evil, so maybe he isn't a bad person.  We don't really know too much about him other than he was a Russian diplomat, so he doesn't have to be bad, Syd could have helped him fake his death to protect him from the Covenant. 
Hello,

I'm a first time poster here, and came across this site just recently as I was looking for some spoilers.

Regarding Lazarey's murder -- I think Syd was involved in faking his death. I believe she also was the one to cut off his hand, based on the memories uncovered in the dream sequence. She probably had to do this to prove to someone that he was dead. Who though?

Now here's a possibility -- if Lazarey is a member of the order of Rambaldi (or whatever the organization is whose responsibility is to carry on his work) wouldn't it stand to reason that he knows Sloane? I was looking around to try and find transcripts from when Sloane met up with that Monk in tibet, but couldn't find anything. Are there any clues there?

Here's some off the wall theories:

- Sloane is actually a triple agent. He's working for the order of Rambaldi, or is heading up a group to uncover the Rambaldi device, he's working with the covenant, or rather using them to distract the CIA so they don't focus on his real plan, and he's feeding info to the CIA. He's pulling all sorts of strings.

- If that first theory is correct, and Sloane is pulling all sorts of strings, maybe he helped fake Lazarey's death in order to have his money go to the covenant to fund it.... Sloane knew Lazarey wasn't dead. I read that spoiler somewhere. Kind of makes you go hmmmm. How did he know Lazarey wasn't dead? Why didn't he tell Syd? I think it's because he wanted Lazarey's money to go to fund the covenant, and I think Sark is also still working with Sloane. I think the covenant is nothing more than a diversion from Sloane's real game plan.

- Sydney is part of the prophecy. "This woman here depicted will possess unseen marks, signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works. Bind them with fury, a burning anger, unless prevented, at vulgar costs, this woman will render the greatest power, unto utter desolation." What if the prophecy is simply that Sydney brings down Sloane? She's furious & angry at him, that we know... maybe Syd will be the one to bring together the pieces of the Rambaldi device, and in doing so, will bring down Sloane -- the greatest power, into utter desolation. Hmmm... Just a thought. Maybe the prophecy isn't as metaphorical as we think. Unseen marks -- to me that implies something psychological, not physical. Perhaps the unseen mark had something to do with the Christmas Project? Maybe Sloane knows that Syd will be the one to bring him down if left unchecked, hence he orchestrated her disappearance. Except something went wrong, and she re-appeared, and so he has to stick close to make sure he leads her down the wrong path, but doesn't want her dead because there is something inside her mind that he needs, or thinks he needs

- Lauren is so working with Sloane. I'm not sure that she's his daughter, or related to him in any way... but her involvement in all of this is just too coincidental. There's no way she just happened to 1) marry Vaughan 2) arrange Sloane's pardon, and become his handler 3) work for the NSA who is trying to control Syd's group... uh uh. no way! She might not be purely evil, but she certainly is working another agenda. In the spoilers for next week's episode Vaughan and Jack are talking. Jack talks to Vaughan about how they both thought the women they love died. Well, maybe another similarity is that Lauren, like Irina before her, married Vaughan because she was a double agent and needed to have the inside connection.... i'm sure this has been discussed to death, but it's almost too obvious!

- Irina has to be involved here! The Russian connection with lazarey, can't be coincidental. Maybe Irina is working with Sloane to uncover Rambaldi's secret. How did she know Syd was "the One" as she told her in an episode in season two?

- What was behind Door #47. Whatever it is, leads Sydney to Will. What could lead Sydney to Will at this point?

Anyhow, just having some mental diarhea thinking about the possbiilities! Sorry for the stream of consciousness post!

- Metaphysicalgrl

Well, Sydney told herself to trust Lazarey, and 4 months ago Lazarey let his hand be cut off, which clears Syd's name.  That seems to me that Sydney was in on the death faking.  Lazarey thinks that the Covenant is evil, so maybe he isn't a bad person.  We don't really know too much about him other than he was a Russian diplomat, so he doesn't have to be bad, Syd could have helped him fake his death to protect him from the Covenant. 

I'm thinking that the hand was cut off to hide his involvment with Rambaldi, thus no more tatoo. Keeping, while quite strange, must be because his finger or hand print might be required later...

We now know that the Covenant abducted Sydney in the beginning. What if the "true" Rambaldi order subsequently took her again. This could mean that Lazeray and Sloane are members of this legit order, who is following the goal of preserving Rambladi's teachings. I include Sloane based on the apartment key and letter he gave her. Oh, I don't think that he is truly good, but he does fit into the shades of grey.

ACarolinian said:
I include Sloane based on the apartment key and letter he gave her.
Judging by the dreams in episode 9, it appears Sydney doesn't want herself to remember... Yet, she seemingly left herself a trail of clues which is helping to piece together the missing two years (the code and key from Sloane, the coordinates, Lazarey's hand). This doesn't make sense if you think about it.

DeputyDirector said:
Judging by the dreams in episode 9, it appears Sydney doesn't want herself to remember... Yet, she seemingly left herself a trail of clues which is helping to piece together the missing two years (the code and key from Sloane, the coordinates, Lazarey's hand).  This doesn't make sense if you think about it.
Is there some reason she can't remember too soon? Or some event that might happen that she wants to trigger the onset of the clues?

Sending the letter to Sloane is really strange, though. Unless she meant him to get the info to herself at some given time. Or else I suppose Sloane could have switched the content of the envelope.

ephian said:
DeputyDirector said:
Judging by the dreams in episode 9, it appears Sydney doesn't want herself to remember... Yet, she seemingly left herself a trail of clues which is helping to piece together the missing two years (the code and key from Sloane, the coordinates, Lazarey's hand).  This doesn't make sense if you think about it.
Is there some reason she can't remember too soon? Or some event that might happen that she wants to trigger the onset of the clues?

Sending the letter to Sloane is really strange, though. Unless she meant him to get the info to herself at some given time. Or else I suppose Sloane could have switched the content of the envelope.
True. It's hard to believe she'd send something this important to, of all people, Sloane.

Most suspicious.

DeputyDirector said:
ephian said:
DeputyDirector said:

True. It's hard to believe she'd send something this important to, of all people, Sloane.

Most suspicious.
Maybe Sydney/Julia and Lazarey don't want Sydney to remember. But Sloane and maybe Irina want Sydney to remember. Sloane could have learned Irnia's code if so he could have doen it alone. If not then she was involved.

The Syd's handwriting on the notes is a slight problem but I think Sloane could find a way to fake that.

I don't know how to make it quote other people so I'll just say..above it says somewhere that Syd is to bring down Sloane, the greatest power...

The funny thing about this spec is that according to the script scanner for the telling, Irina was actually supposed to tell Syd that Sloane was the greatest power. I think that everyone, including the DSR thought that it was intended as a threat to the United States but it wasn't. Or was it? My question is, since that line was left out, was it left out for a reason. Did Lena improvise and the best take didn't have the greatest power line in it or did JJ specifically taken out. If it was the former, wouldn't that have been important enough to have reshot? If it was taken out purposefully, does that mean that JJ rewrote the story a little? Anybody have any theories?

Just exactly how did the conversation go between Lazarey and Sydney after she faked his death?

SYDNEY: Ok, now that you're safe Mr. Lazarey, can I cut off your hand and bury it in the desert before I run over and have my memories erased so that I can leave a trail of clues to re-remember something I obviously want to forget? Thanks.

:blink:

I would hope for Lazarey's sake that his hand is not merely a mnemonic device. So why would they cut off his hand? It did have the Rambaldi mark on it, but it seems that the Covenant knew all about him. So what else would his hand have? If it were just the fingerprints to open the safe to the $800 million, then why hide it and yet at the same time devise a method that his son would also have access to it? If the hand itself could open another safe, then cutting it off and burying it so it could decay seems a bit, uh, careless. And if he didn't want the other safe, if it existed, opened, then one would think he'd have destroyed the hand in some way. Why bury a hand?

Good question. It doesn't make sense to simply bury the hand to decay, and decomposition sets in almost immediately in moist climates. However the desert is quite arid. Any reason other than remoteness to bury the hand in the desert? Other than JJ's apparent facination with the sand. Hee Hee...

What other significance would the hand hold, other than the Rambaldi mark? Is there something inside of the hand that was not noticed? It definitely holds a high significance according to Lazeray, with his anxious "did you find it" sort of demeanor.

I thought he meant the tissue/cube because he asked if will had been to Gratz.

But the way he phrased it, two separate sentences "Did they find it? Have you been to Gratz?" (shouldn't have used quotes, I'm paraphrasing) he could have meant the hand and/or the cube.

Now I'm really confused! :thinking:

getting back to one of the original theories, i really like the spec that sloane is actually heading up the covenant. that would fit in perfectly. in ep 9--syd's dream--when she was in the ambulance w/ vaughn, she mentioned the covenant to him. he said he'd just heard of it recently. so the covenant grew (on the CIA's list of threats) from that moment. maybe sloane uses that as his alibi, to take some of the spotlight off of him for awhile. then, he gets himself pardoned and makes nice (on the outside). in reality, he's running the covenant right under the CIA's nose! so now he's getting some hints as to what the CIA is up to (when lauren has briefings with him). and who's to say that the reason he had a file on sydney (he was looking for her during her absence)--a file with all dead ends--was to throw everyone off? he's the one who captured syd and abducted her. it's only when she started collaborating w/ lazaray that she was able to "wake up" from her time as julia thorne.

dertyklobb said:
it's only when she started collaborating w/ lazaray that she was able to "wake up" from her time as julia thorne.
What do you mean by "wake up" from her time as Julia Thorne?

Ah ha! That would be cool - Sydney knowing all along who she was during the missing two years. Of course, that has repurcussions on everyone and everything. Why would she have hidden herself?

Judging by the dreams in episode 9, it appears Sydney doesn't want herself to remember... Yet, she seemingly left herself a trail of clues which is helping to piece together the missing two years (the code and key from Sloane, the coordinates, Lazarey's hand). This doesn't make sense if you think about it.

As stated in ep 10 sydney is still the one making the desions. Thus leaving herself clues is a way of ensuring she has enough information to protect herself, Without the trauma of the memories of the whole time *just a thought*

Back